RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Summer tires ??

Old 04-02-13, 10:28 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Summer tires ??

I live in FL - no snow - and do not venture north during the winter. Thus, I have no need nor desire to buy all season tires for my RX350.
I had switched my BMW330ci to summer tires and find better dry and wet performance compared to the original 'all seasons'. I would like to do the same for the RX but do not know which tires to put on. Does anyone have any experience with summer tires for the RX and, in the event, would you share your thoughts? Thanks!

[I have the 18" rims - 235/55/18 tires]

Last edited by pauljcl; 04-02-13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 10:59 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I live in FL - no snow - and do not venture north during the winter. Thus, I have no need nor desire to buy all season tires for my RX350.
I had switched my BMW330ci to summer tires and find better dry and wet performance compared to the original 'all seasons'. I would like to do the same for the RX but do not know which tires to put on. Does anyone have any experience with summer tires for the RX and, in the event, would you share your thoughts? Thanks!

[I have the 18" rims - 235/55/18 tires]
There are few if any tires for the RX that are not marked as all-season. Perhaps you are looking at the difference between a Grand Touring tire vs. a High Performance. Personally, those designations are rubbish. Look more at the tire specs and ratings. As a fellow FL here are my thoughts:

What you are looking for is probably the best tire in the wet. Checking with Tire Rack that seems to be the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. Here is a report from DixieLex on the Pirellis:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ion-verde.html

The current thinking is one of the following tires to get, in no particular order. You would probably be happy with any of them:

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Check the previous tire topic thread and look at those in here in the south who have purchased.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hoices-11.html
Old 04-02-13, 10:11 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
There are few if any tires for the RX that are not marked as all-season. Perhaps you are looking at the difference between a Grand Touring tire vs. a High Performance. Personally, those designations are rubbish. Look more at the tire specs and ratings. As a fellow FL here are my thoughts:

What you are looking for is probably the best tire in the wet. Checking with Tire Rack that seems to be the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. Here is a report from DixieLex on the Pirellis:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ion-verde.html

The current thinking is one of the following tires to get, in no particular order. You would probably be happy with any of them:

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Check the previous tire topic thread and look at those in here in the south who have purchased.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hoices-11.html
Thank you for the thoroughness (and promptness) of your response. I'll look at those tires. I intend to change my existing tires this Fall - they will still be good for my trip to Toronto and back this summer, and I will report back. By then, they will have 36-37K miles. They are the OEM Michelin Energy, and I don't particularly like them. I got some good feedback, however, on the Michelin Latitude. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-13, 10:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

If I had to nitpik at the Michelin Latitude tire is that its temperature rating is only B and it is a T speed rated tire. Driving in the heat of the summer here in FL I want a tire with the highest possible temperature ratings. Which gives me pause about the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring for the same reason being a B temperature rated tire. Others here had expressed their approval for this tire in the past, so I include it in my recommendations though it may not be a tire I would choose.

As for the speed rating, no... I do not expect to drive faster than 118 MPH -- at least not in this RX330. Just like having my tires over specified for my needs. Besides, my RX came with V rated tires and so I will try to stick with similar specs to those installed at the factory or better.

When it comes time for a future replacement of my current Bridgestone Alenzas, I am on the fence between deciding on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season or the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. Will probably come down to price at the time I get around to making that purchase. And who knows, there may be another tire which stands out by then. I still have a ways to go before I need tires again with my Alenzas having a bit of life left.

As you have some time before your purchase I would recommend you spend some time on the Tire Rack and other tire web sites. Look at customer reviews for the tires you are interested in, but not just any reviews. Look for those reviews by Lexus RX owners so you will see their opinions for those tires on similar vehicles to yours.
Old 04-03-13, 12:26 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

If I had to nitpik at the Michelin Latitude tire is that its temperature rating is only B and it is a T speed rated tire. Driving in the heat of the summer here in FL I want a tire with the highest possible temperature ratings. Which gives me pause about the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring for the same reason being a B temperature rated tire. Others here had expressed their approval for this tire in the past, so I include it in my recommendations though it may not be a tire I would choose.

As for the speed rating, no... I do not expect to drive faster than 118 MPH -- at least not in this RX330. Just like having my tires over specified for my needs. Besides, my RX came with V rated tires and so I will try to stick with similar specs to those installed at the factory or better.

When it comes time for a future replacement of my current Bridgestone Alenzas, I am on the fence between deciding on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season or the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. Will probably come down to price at the time I get around to making that purchase. And who knows, there may be another tire which stands out by then. I still have a ways to go before I need tires again with my Alenzas having a bit of life left.

As you have some time before your purchase I would recommend you spend some time on the Tire Rack and other tire web sites. Look at customer reviews for the tires you are interested in, but not just any reviews. Look for those reviews by Lexus RX owners so you will see their opinions for those tires on similar vehicles to yours.
Indeed.
I've also been looking at tread patterns, the least 'agressive and knobbly' being best, of couse. I'll be checking further, but I saw some Hankook Ventus with a tread very similar to the Hankook V12 EVO (Performance Summer tires) that I put on the BMW and, so far, I really like those tires. Quiet, comfortable, super grip in dry and wet, no pbs. with balancing nor with potholes.... a whole level - or several levels -better than the Contis that came OEM. So I am not as 'negative' on Hankook as many people are... The Michelins OEM (Energy) : I have found them harsh, and - one needed replacement, the one I got was a little defective. I was able to resolve that with 'road force balancing', adjusting the position on the rim and using it as a rear tire - now, after 30K miles, quite noisy. Thus, I am somewhat leery of the 'green' or 'energy-saving' tires which trade noise and comfort for mileage.
I'll post when I make a decision.... Thanks again for your comments.
Old 04-03-13, 12:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I think the problem many have with with Hankook, Kumho, Toyo and some other tire companies is that there is not a lot of historical data for their use here in the states or they remember the early product days. Perhaps they think "Korean tires... nope." Much like with Hyundai and Kia. Some would never touch a Hyundai, but they have not even sat in any of the current models which are fairly reliable transportation at a reasonable price for the most part.
Old 04-03-13, 10:11 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

I think the problem many have with with Hankook, Kumho, Toyo and some other tire companies is that there is not a lot of historical data for their use here in the states or they remember the early product days. Perhaps they think "Korean tires... nope." Much like with Hyundai and Kia. Some would never touch a Hyundai, but they have not even sat in any of the current models which are fairly reliable transportation at a reasonable price for the most part.
For the mom., the new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (catchy name!) have the best consumer rating. .... to be followed....
Old 04-04-13, 06:10 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the pirelli scorpions and absolutely love them. If they werent an option i would have bought te michelins.