RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Installing wired rear view camera...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 07:42 PM
Nakamichi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing wired rear view camera...

I bought a set of wired rear view camera at BestBuy while on sale and now I just don't know how to start.

Since it's wired and needs to connect to the reverse light, I believe I need to run the wire from the tailgate all the way to the front where I'm going to put the display monitor.

So if anyone can provide me some advice on how to run the wires and where to hide it will be very much appreciated
Old 01-21-11, 10:23 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Try calling the maker of the camera, I am sure they have received a few phone calls from consumers like us.
Old 01-21-11, 12:27 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably tap into the reverse light harness somewhere at the roof area just before the tailgate. Look where the harness is going into the body from the tailgate. You can run the wire under the carpet along the drivers side, just remove the panels that are along the way.
Old 01-21-11, 03:33 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Veleno is correct tap your reverse signal from the reverse light should activate your camera when the RX is in reverse. Make sure you read the instructions a few times and get a good idea what needs to be done and call manufacturer for tech support if needed.
Old 03-06-11, 07:24 AM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nak-

Any update on this? Pictures? I was just curious if you got your rear view camera installed yet.

I just ordered a Boyo backup camera and a Gentex Rearview Mirror/Monitor yesterday. I'm gonna have it installed at a local car stereo installer/shop next week.
Old 03-06-11, 09:17 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Suggestions/Instructions to run the cable from the rear of the car to the front.
1. As suggested by others, tap the reverse signal/cable.
2. If you are starting from the trunk, remove the tool bin (kinda tricky but i was able to remove it from the front of the tray just around the hinges with a screw driver. Start by prying one end. Set the tool tray aside.
3. I prefer to run the cable from the passenger's end as it makes routing to the center dash easier without having to go around the steering rod and other components below the steering wheel. That is just my preference and others might advise otherwise.
4. The instructions in steps 5 to 7 are same for either driver or passenger up to getting the cables to the driver's or passenger's door.
5. Remove the rubber seal starting around the lock area and work your way to the door step area.
6. Use a cable snake and pass the cable from the trunk to the area that you removed the door seals.
7. Remove the plastic panel on the pillar (held by 2 clips) and the rubber seal, door step on the front door. Run the cable from rear door step to front door step.
8. Assuming passenger's side - Remove the plastic panel in the corner to the right of glove box. It is held by 2 clips. Now you can run the cable in many ways from here. You can go to the center dash area by going through the glove box area or by running the cable around the carpet (held by velcro).
9. Assemble in the reverse order of removal.
10. All the pieces should snap back together, if not, remove and try again.
Good luck!!!!
Let me know if you need any details on any of the steps above.
The following 2 users liked this post by rx400h1976:
SoIllSam (05-08-22), williwe (07-25-23)
Old 05-28-11, 12:29 AM
willdogg
Driver

I ordered a Gentex Rearview mirror/monitor and a Boyo (VTL405) bar-type backup camera online back in March. It took a couple months to finally getting around to doing it, but I finally got it installed today. There were a couple places here in the Bay Area that do great work but I decided on a shop that had the most reviews on yelp. And they have no problem installing gear that customers buy elsewhere. So I dropped off the Lex right when they opened, told them what I wanted (countersunk the camera bolts, camera mounted directly on top of Lexus license plate frame, etc). Since I went to work while they worked on it, I wasn't able to take any pictures of the actual install. But here's how it turned out:
Attached Thumbnails Installing wired rear view camera...-img_1402.jpg   Installing wired rear view camera...-img_1403.jpg  
Old 05-28-11, 08:40 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by willdogg
I ordered a Gentex Rearview mirror/monitor and a Boyo (VTL405) bar-type backup camera online back in March. It took a couple months to finally getting around to doing it, but I finally got it installed today. There were a couple places here in the Bay Area that do great work but I decided on a shop that had the most reviews on yelp. And they have no problem installing gear that customers buy elsewhere.
Thanks for the yelp tip, I have been sweating bullets over finding a trustworthy installer to do my DD Kenwood and it looks like my local Car Toys is a good one.

I went by Best Buy last week and clue number one was there were no cars in the shop being worked on...none! Clue number two was the installer actually argued with me that there was no harness available for the RX330! I had to tell him where the website was before he would believe me, I eased out of there quickly.
Old 05-28-11, 10:35 AM
willdogg
Driver

You're welcome. Good choice by the way, I like how Kenwood integrates Garmins GPS' with their double DIN units.

I thought about getting a Pioneer DD (with the integrated GPS) when we first got the Lex, but since it's my wife's rig, we settled on keeping the OEM stereo and getting her a portable Garmin GPS. I'm hoping this backup camera will keep her from backing into things.

Let us know how your Kenwood install turns out.
Old 05-28-11, 10:44 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I'm going to try to get pics of the install but certainly pics of the finished product!
Old 05-29-11, 12:19 PM
Nakamichi
Driver School Candidate

Will,

Great look on the cam! I didn't get a chance to make that happen as my RX was having some major issue that I have to put the camera thing aside.

Anyway, the combination with the rear view mirror display looks fantastic!

Nakamichi
Old 05-29-11, 11:47 PM
willdogg
Driver

Nakamichi-

Yeah, I hear you…a major issue definitely has higher priority than a backup camera. Take your time, take care of the major repairs before the gadget add-ons. Thanks, we're pretty happy with the way it turned out too. Good luck.

Will
Old 11-30-11, 10:28 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will how much you paid for the gentex mirror/camera? What is the size of rearview camera?
Old 12-01-11, 09:10 AM
Cb4h
Driver School Candidate

Question I have ordered the Gentex mirror from AutoAnything...is this mirror the autodimming? I couldnt tell from the website it was like 343.00...also i ordered the Boyo bar type camera just like in the pic above is there anything else I need?

Thanks
Old 12-01-11, 11:33 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cb4h
Question I have ordered the Gentex mirror from AutoAnything...is this mirror the autodimming? I couldnt tell from the website it was like 343.00...also i ordered the Boyo bar type camera just like in the pic above is there anything else I need?

Thanks

Is your Gentex the same as this one? It autodims...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENTEX-AUTOD...item20be0b1a09

Quick Reply: Installing wired rear view camera...