RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 06:24 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

i seem to have an issue of condensation inside my driver side headlight on my 2005 rx330...
the passenger side headlight is fine...
has anyone else experienced this problem?
is it usually a warrantyable thing?
Old 10-09-06, 07:11 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Believe it or not it is kind of a common problem on most Lexus cars. Many of us RX owners as well have had our headlights replaced under warranty for this problem. Take it to the dealer and they will swap in a new headlight. They are pretty good about it.
Old 10-10-06, 03:17 AM
sharpener
Driver

does harrier experience the same problem also?
my harrier headlights are fine, but wen i swap mine for lexus headlights, condesation happens
Old 10-10-06, 05:13 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubaddict
i seem to have an issue of condensation inside my driver side headlight on my 2005 rx330...
the passenger side headlight is fine...
has anyone else experienced this problem?
is it usually a warrantyable thing?
My cpo '05 RX330 also had 1 headlight with a condensation problem. Dealer replaced it at no charge. In fact, I never even noticed it, they saw it and replaced it on their own.
Old 10-11-06, 01:10 PM
clubaddict
Driver

I just had my drivers side headlight swapped out...
they also installed this thing called "data dot" on both of the headlights.. its supposed to make stealing the headlights harder...
waranty covered it.. no problems
Old 10-11-06, 02:30 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sharpener
does harrier experience the same problem also?
my harrier headlights are fine, but wen i swap mine for lexus headlights, condesation happens
I have no idea if the Harrier part suffers from the same problem. My condensation problem happend at 48K miles, so they don't all happen right away.
Old 10-11-06, 05:12 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I've had a fex Lexus cars with these headlight units, and from what I have learned, the problem is not "common," but it does happen from time to time. The headlight is a sealed unit, and if that seal is broken (by some stressor) then air and moisture will get in and you will see condensation on the inside of the glass. This is a problem because it will eventually cause rust.

If you have warranty coverage, it will be replaced, as long as it's not part of an accident. If you are out of warranty, then you get to buy a new one and they are very expensive. Or you can let it go and ignore it. My brother has an SC400 with condensation in one of the headlights, and it's been two or three years now, but the lights still work.
Old 10-12-06, 04:08 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am new to this issue, but if I need to remove the bulb from the unit how can that action not unseal the unit and introduce normal atmospheric air with moisture that will condense with the right conditions?
Old 10-12-06, 04:21 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I have always wondered how that worked myself.

I only suppose that the lamp goes into the fixture from the back and sits in a section that is separated from the reflectors. If not, then the unit could not be both sealed and accessible for lamp changes.
Old 10-12-06, 04:39 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I think the term "sealed" is some what applied lightly. The bulb can be replaced in a RX. For a true "sealed headlamps" one has to replace the reflector and the lense.

One can take the bulb out and use a hair dryer to blow hot air (preferably on a low humidity day) in the cavity. Once you raise the internal temp, quickly seat the bulb.

If you browse the other forum (specially the SC) you will have lots of hits on moisture in the headlamp.

Salim
Old 10-12-06, 05:01 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I agree. Seeled is a very loose term in this case. Anyway, I disagree that it is not a common problem. Most of us that post on this RX section has had their headlamps replaced already. My SC400 had condensation as well as most others as noted in the post above. The 2nd gen GS was notorious for this as well. Just search and you will see many posts about it. The 3rd gen GS didn't seem to get much better, at least early on as many new owners complained about the problem as well. My ES300 also has had condensation problems in the past. The only cars I really haven't seen condensation problem is on the glass lens on the early to mid 90s LS400s. Anyway, I realize many other manufacturers also have condensation problems at times as well. My BMW and Acura; however, did not.
Old 10-14-06, 06:26 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Salim and Ck you have cleared up the question I had about whether the lamp housing areas are sealed - apparently not or they wouldn't ever fog from condensation.

Salim I like you idea about changing in dry weather but if my bulb goes out in summer, or other conditions exist all the time where i'm stuck with humidity.

If I have to change any of these bulbs myself, including the rear lamp housings that look the same to me, like they would fog too if enough moisture gets in, I am going to remove the bulb socket and place some tape over the hole, change the bulb carefully in the socket, remove tape and shoot in some pure nitrogen from one of those compressed N2 cans one can use to purge air from wine bottles - then quickly insert the socket with the new bulb. The only question I have is how much H20 is in the N2 - while there is no O2 it might have H20, I need to check that out. Thoughts?

How do they OEM these as new cars seem to not fog for quite a while, mine have not fogged.

I can also see how this is a problem as the lamp socket seals begin to fail and leak where the socket seats in the lamp housing, so maybe we ought to replace the seals at some regular intervals if fogging occurs. The lamp housing chambers are basically hermetically sealed units that when heated from the lamps, and under varying outdoor temperatures, will have internal pressures < or > than outside, which if the seals aren't good will force in moisture no matter how dry the original air is inside the lamp housing. Are people replacing lamp socket seals with failed lamps?
Old 10-15-06, 06:01 PM
jerrsRX350
Rookie

[QUOTE=parula;2181285] The only question I have is how much H20 is in the N2 - while there is no O2 it might have H20, I need to check that out. Thoughts?

Nitrogen gas should be dry i.e. no water should be present.
Old 10-16-06, 01:24 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

In our '05 RX330 we had 1 headlight with a condensation problem. Dealer would NOT replaced it . In fact, the DA told me that it happens all the time
and that if the condensation did not go away after 5 to 10 min with the hd lamps on then they and only then they would replaced it. I try not to go to this dealer for anything. That was only the second time I was at that this dealership, the first was the 5000 mile oil change and I brought my own oil for that. Did not get the car from this bozo either.
Old 11-15-06, 08:26 PM
clubaddict
Driver

I just noticed the problem appear this past weekend on my PASSENGER side headlight also(drivers side was swapped out about a month ago)
i guess I'll call up lexus tomorrow and get this taken care of...

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)