RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 05:50 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
same problem here....just spoke with lexus care and they told me I have to go to the dealer for a quote before they can do anything....how stupid is that???
Pretty stupid since just about every RX made has the issue. Like they don't know it. Just a stall tactic. Pretty sad...
The following users liked this post:
Jlmemt (05-12-24)
Old 02-20-13, 06:15 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

There you go another expert chiming in!
Old 02-20-13, 06:19 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by kickin8
Just spoke with the dealer....they said the headlights fall into the "Body" part and it will NOT be covered under warranty.....WTF???
This happened to me as well. My Lexus Platinum Care did not cover it....the service tech said there was a bump on the front fender and it could have caused a crack on the housing and therefore not valid claim.

I went after Lexus Care, a case was assigned and in the end...after a few emails back and forth, the case manager said..NO!

Hence I ended up doing the repair.
Old 02-20-13, 09:13 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
This happened to me as well. My Lexus Platinum Care did not cover it....the service tech said there was a bump on the front fender and it could have caused a crack on the housing and therefore not valid claim.

I went after Lexus Care, a case was assigned and in the end...after a few emails back and forth, the case manager said..NO!

Hence I ended up doing the repair.
The absurd part of the conversation: if the moisture caused corrosion and it shorted out the headlights, that would be covered.

What kind of logic is that ????

Old 02-20-13, 10:44 AM
mandyfig

No logic at all.

When I made the clain for the condensation, I was still within the factory warranty and there was a TSB in place, as I said the service guy saw my slight fender wrinkle and it was declared VOID due to potential accident cracking...

Right!
Old 02-20-13, 12:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Sorry to hear that.....I FEEL your pain....

Before continue to pursuit of perfection, they need to take care of their previous imperfections first.........

Last edited by kickin8; 02-20-13 at 12:33 PM.
Jlmemt (05-12-24)
Old 02-20-13, 01:06 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Filed complaint

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 02-20-13, 01:58 PM
mandyfig

Good luck on your quest to get your condensation resolved!
Old 02-22-13, 09:39 PM
djcrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey GadgetmanN,

Thanks for your message. Very informative and very helpful.

DJCRX330

Originally Posted by GadgetmanN
I circled the two vents in your picture. They are not white on yours, but they pop off easily. But no reason to take them off. Just dry it all out and seal the seams along the edges of the housings.
Old 02-23-13, 02:57 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by djcrx330
Hey GadgetmanN,

Thanks for your message. Very informative and very helpful.

DJCRX330
No problem. Being such a new owner of an RX, I'm glad I could help with something!
Old 02-23-13, 06:26 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't they fix it once and for all? Is there no solution ? They can make the headlights turn with the streering wheel, make them self level but they can't keep out a little H2O out. The answer can't be that complicating...
Old 02-23-13, 11:24 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by jamieZ
Why can't they fix it once and for all? Is there no solution ? They can make the headlights turn with the streering wheel, make them self level but they can't keep out a little H2O out. The answer can't be that complicating...
It is not complicated. The solution is to make the seam along the top of the house face the rear, not the front. When you go though a car wash or drive down the highway in the rain, the front facing seam allows water to be driven into the housing. Simple fix, but they would have to make a whole new housing and replace all failed units, if they really wanted to "make it right". But they obviously don't want to. All vehicles have some type of issue, so if that is the worst issue with the RX, I'm good with it. I can just seal it myself and keep an eye on it.
Jlmemt (05-12-24)
Old 02-25-13, 06:40 PM
djcrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had serious water in my passenger side headlight housing. It is an RX330, 2006 vintage, Canada made. The HID light had begun to flicker, did not give strong illumination, and would go out after a while. I removed the housing, dried it out, and re-sealed. I hoped that drying it out, real good, would solve the issue with the HID light. Put it back into the vehicle. All lights are working normally, except the HID light. It is still acting as it had been previously, i.e. flicker, weak, then go out out. I'm wondering if a new ballast would solve this problem. Has anyone dealt with this problem? What was your fix? Is a new ballast the fix? Thanks.
Old 02-26-13, 09:02 AM
mandyfig

Some of us have the flicker when we turn the lights on, but acts ok later on. That's on my SC, it is barely noticeable. I have the normal lights on the RX.
Old 02-26-13, 11:04 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djcrx330
I had serious water in my passenger side headlight housing. It is an RX330, 2006 vintage, Canada made. The HID light had begun to flicker, did not give strong illumination, and would go out after a while. I removed the housing, dried it out, and re-sealed. I hoped that drying it out, real good, would solve the issue with the HID light. Put it back into the vehicle. All lights are working normally, except the HID light. It is still acting as it had been previously, i.e. flicker, weak, then go out out. I'm wondering if a new ballast would solve this problem. Has anyone dealt with this problem? What was your fix? Is a new ballast the fix? Thanks.
I had the same issue with my 2006 RX400H. At first, I thought the bulb went bad, but after I removed the headlight housing, I discovered that the ballast was damaged from the water leaking inside. I got lucky and found one on www;e**y.com for a great price.

Replacement was pretty straightforward.

I thought I had repaired the headlamp condensation issue via clear silicone, but I noticed that the driver's side is fogging up a little bit after a recent car wash.

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)