RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Old 05-03-11, 07:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
My 2005 Lexus RX330 is out of warranty but I managed Lexus replaced both right and left side Head light Assembly. Started out condensation and ended up with water damged to the ballast. Very expensive and the design is flawed!!!

Definite design flaw.
Old 05-03-11, 12:28 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
My 2005 Lexus RX330 is out of warranty but I managed Lexus replaced both right and left side Head light Assembly. Started out condensation and ended up with water damged to the ballast. Very expensive and the design is flawed!!!
Had the same problem myself and I just paid $1,450 to replace the left headlight. Now trying to get Lexus reimburse this.

It's a design flaw - water should not be able to get on the ballast.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo2107 (03-04-20)
Old 05-03-11, 12:39 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexRX
Had the same problem myself and I just paid $1,450 to replace the left headlight. Now trying to get Lexus reimburse this.

It's a design flaw - water should not be able to get on the ballast.

$1450.00??
Old 05-03-11, 01:48 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
$1450.00??
too little?
Old 05-04-11, 05:09 PM
JADEN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexRX
too little?
lol
Old 06-26-11, 05:02 PM
pinkzep360
Driver School Candidate

This was great tutorial, thanks very much.
Has anyone got their headlights repaired by the dealer and encounter the same problem again?
My '08 RX got a whole headlight replacement on both sides (free of charge because it is under warranty) according to the service rep. and now after 1 year and 4 months the condensation is back. I just brought in the RX for a ignition cylinder replacement and asked if they can repair the headlights again.
However, my service rep says it's not covered by the warranty, which is weird because my RX is still under warranty and I got the repair a year ago, no questions asked. He said "seals" are not covered.
Old 06-26-11, 07:34 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkzep360
This was great tutorial, thanks very much.
Has anyone got their headlights repaired by the dealer and encounter the same problem again?
My '08 RX got a whole headlight replacement on both sides (free of charge because it is under warranty) according to the service rep. and now after 1 year and 4 months the condensation is back. I just brought in the RX for a ignition cylinder replacement and asked if they can repair the headlights again.
However, my service rep says it's not covered by the warranty, which is weird because my RX is still under warranty and I got the repair a year ago, no questions asked. He said "seals" are not covered.
Seems like Lexus knows this is a problem. Most will replace under basic warranty. I believe some folks have had same problem with replacement headlights. I owned an 05 RX that had both headlights replaced under warranty. A couple years later, had condensation issues on one of the headlights. I complained to the dealership and they worked with corporate to get it replaced. After getting it replaced, I thought it was time to upgrade away from the RX line.
Old 06-26-11, 08:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
After getting it replaced, I thought it was time to upgrade away from the RX line.
Problem is that the headlight condensation/moisture issue is not solely owned by the RX series. Many Toyota/Lexus products have been reported as having this problem over the years. Corporate has just chosen to ignore the complaints as admitting to it and fixing the problem would just hurt the bottom line.
Old 06-27-11, 06:14 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Problem is that the headlight condensation/moisture issue is not solely owned by the RX series. Many Toyota/Lexus products have been reported as having this problem over the years. Corporate has just chosen to ignore the complaints as admitting to it and fixing the problem would just hurt the bottom line.
Wow, "Many Toyota/Lexus products have been reported as having this problem over the years." I guess it's like the problems with the alloy wheels "rusting"?
Old 06-27-11, 12:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Many many years ago whenever I see condensation on headlights, tail lights and signals, they were normally American or European cars.

Then the RX330 headlight condensation...so it was like, are you kidding me?

Definitely there was a lot of failure in the process, either in the molding of the headlamp or the ultrasonic welding (or other sealing techniques) of the seams. If you lose integrity of the seal, condensation will occur.

They (Toyota) lost some integrity with this condensation issue.
Old 06-27-11, 03:36 PM
pinkzep360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
Seems like Lexus knows this is a problem. Most will replace under basic warranty. I believe some folks have had same problem with replacement headlights. I owned an 05 RX that had both headlights replaced under warranty. A couple years later, had condensation issues on one of the headlights. I complained to the dealership and they worked with corporate to get it replaced. After getting it replaced, I thought it was time to upgrade away from the RX line.
So I guess, I have to pay for the repair myself? I purchased the 7-year, 80K mile warranty. The service rep said the same thing, that they will work with "Lexus" (corporate?) to get it replaced. I guess since my ignition cylinder replacement was under warranty, they didn't want to repair another under warranty item. I'm going to have to wait for my 60k service to ask again. It's such a shame that this problem is all the way until the '08s. I would think they would've gotten it straight by now.
Old 06-27-11, 05:35 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

So I guess, I have to pay for the repair myself? I purchased the 7-year, 80K mile warranty. The service rep said the same thing, that they will work with "Lexus" (corporate?) to get it replaced. I guess since my ignition cylinder replacement was under warranty, they didn't want to repair another under warranty item. I'm going to have to wait for my 60k service to ask again. It's such a shame that this problem is all the way until the '08s. I would think they would've gotten it straight by now.
Remember... "The Pursuit of Perfection" Lexus is still pursuing...
Old 06-27-11, 07:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are still under warranty it should be covered. Keep pressing the dealer.
Old 06-28-11, 07:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I just want to see this condensation once in while so I can get pissed and to remind myself that I fixed the problem without Lexus' help:
Attached Thumbnails *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)-hl-pass.jpg  
Old 07-04-11, 08:26 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

"Touchless" car wash are the culprit on headlight condensation, it kind thrust dampness inside the assembly. I stop going to these type of car wash and haven't had any condensation. They are not water tight!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)