RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 04:19 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures

I just installed LED mirrors on my RX350. I took some pictures for people that would like to do this on their own cars. There is another tread on this forum for people that would like to ask questions. Below is the link to the question answer thread. Please keep this thread for DIY.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=371900

Also please do this at your own risk. If you burn something up are break something I am not responsible for any thing

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery cable.

Step 2: Remove 2 screws that hold the door panel to the door. One is hidden behind the door handle cover and the second is hidden behind the little piece of carpet in the door handle. Also push in the pin plug on in door. This is black plug closer to the door hinge side on top of door panel.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-screw-at-door-handel.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
exaktoh (03-17-17)
Old 08-10-08, 04:20 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 3: remove the little cover for the mirror on top of the door panel. This is held in with one clip. Put your fingers on the side and pull. It should snap out
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-door-panel-top-removal.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:21 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 4: Pull on the bottom of door panel. You should be able to put your finger on the bottom of door panel. There should be a little lip on left and right bottom of panel that you can get hold off and pull. It should snap out. Once it is away from door pull on other sides. All of the sides should just pull off.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-door-panel-removal.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:23 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 5: removed all of the plugs behind the door panel. Remove the 2 cables. One cable is for door handle and 2nd is for the door lock. These should snap out and twist off.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-door-handel-and-lock-cable-removal.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:26 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 6: unplug the mirror plug from the computer box. this is on the right as you are looking at it. Remove 3 bolts holding the mirror to door. The mirror should come off once the 3 bolts are out. Because to hold the mirror so it does not fall off while you are removing the bolts. Once off take the mirror and put it on something soft so it does not get scratched.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-unplug-mirror-wire-plug.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:27 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 7: de-pin all of the wires from the plug. Make sure to make a chart of each wire. There are 11 wires. Some of them are same color as others but with minor differences. Make sure to note these differences. THIS IS IMPORTANT otherwise it may take you for ever to figure out where each wire goes.
To de-pin you will have to take the plug a part. The plug has 2 tabs on side that can be unsnapped with small screw driver.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-mirror-wires-without-plug.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:29 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 8: remove the blots that hold the end plate to mirror cover. You should have 3 bolts plus a bracket plus 2 more bolts behind the bracket.

Step 9: remove the rubber gasket on the back of the side bracket. This is the same rubber gasket that goes between the door and the mirror. One removed you will see a white plastic tab with screw that holds the wires in place. Removed the screw and then removed the white tab. Now the wires should be easy to move around.

Step 10: removed the glass from the mirror. This is as easy as pulling at the bottom of the glass. It is snapped in at the bottom. There are 2 clips at the bottom. It slides in on top so DON’T pull on top. You will break the tabs and will have to buy new glass. Move the glass to side.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-mirror-glass-removal.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:31 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 11: remove 3 screws that hold the motors to the mirror cover. These are yellow looking screws. Don’t remove the white screws. White screws hold the motors on the bracket that does not need to be removed. Once the screws are removed the assembly should just come out of the mirror cover.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-new-mirror-back-together.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:33 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 12: put the motors in the new mirror cover. Slide the wires for LED lights thru the same hole as the other wires. Rest of the assembly is same as removal but going reverse order. Until you get back to where you have to run wires from the door to the body of the car.

Step 13: unplug the plastic tube that connects the door to the body of the car. This is black tube that snaps in on the door and the body. It has all of the wires that go from the door to the body. Slide your new wires thru the tubs to the body. I used wire snake. If you don’t have wire snake use a hard wire to use as snake. Don’t use cote hanger because it will not bend easily with in the tube and you will end up with holes in the tube for future moisture and dust issues.

Step 14: once inside the car, all wires need to go to the driver side under the steering column. This is where the junction box is located where you will be making connections. I just used my wire snake to do this but if you don’t have wire snake you may have to remove some the interior panel like panel under the glove box to run the wires to driver side.
Old 08-10-08, 04:34 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 15: remove the scuff panel on driver side front door. This snaps in and out. Just get your fingers under one side and pull up. Once this is removed you will see one white bolt that is holding the panel under the staring column. Remove the bolt. Also remove the 2nd bolt on the other side on the same panel. The 2nd screw is hidden behind a plastic tab that you have to pull down to expose black screw. Once these 2 screws are removed pull the plastic cover towards the seat. It should snap out.

Step 16: Now you should see a junction box with about 10 plugs. This is called by Lexus “Junction box 3”. There are 3 large plugs. Remaining are small plugs. Removed the large plug that is on the lefts side of the junction box as you are looking at it. The one that you want is the 1st large plug from bottom. There are 2 or 3 plugs below this one but this is the 1st large plug from bottom.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-junction-box-under-driver-side.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:36 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 17: there are 2 wires that you are interested in. the green wire on top left corner of the plug as you are looking at it. This is for right turn signal. The 2nd wire that you are interested in is on bottom right side of the plug. This is black wire and is used for left turn signal. Use a test light to make sure you connected to proper wire. Now plug the plug back into the junction box.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-plug-out-of-socket.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 04:37 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Step 18: put everything back together in the reverse order.

Step 19: drive and enjoy the LED turn signals.

PS: I ended up not hooking up the puddle lights at this time. I cannot figure out how to make this connection. I wanted to connect these lights to the door courtesy lights so the lights come on when the door is open but cannot figure out how Lexus is doing these lights. There are 2 wires that go to each light. One is hot all the time so I cannot connect to this wire because the lights will stay “ON” at all times. The 2nd wire has no current to it so I think this is just ground wire. So when I hook it up to this wire the puddle light gets no current. Only thing I can figure out that Lexus is using ground signal to turn the light “ON” so I will have to come up with a relay system because I don’t want to have constant hot to the LEDs. If any one else know how to do this please let me know
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX LED mirror DIY with pictures-finished-product.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 05:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 412 Likes on 363 Posts

Great write up! Nomi, I pm'd you, please check. Thanks. mandy
Old 01-30-18, 01:08 PM
obicruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting this! I didn't intend to do the LED turn signal but I needed to find out how to remove the side mirror assembly and you just helped me a great deal!