RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

VSC Light and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 06:45 AM
lauralex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy vsc and engine light

hello i think i have i huge problem the vsc light and engine lights came on, i have read the advices that you gave to other lexus owners, so can i first put an injector cleaner in my tank, and reset the computer? and if the problem persists i will go to service?because i do not believe that we have a service where to read the codes in bucharest. also the car does not change the speeds corectly i have an automatic gear box, so when it changes the speeds from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 the car shakes( i believe this is the right description) and at the service they said that i have to change the filter for the gear box oil. is it correct?or i should ask for a second oppinion.
Old 04-21-08, 11:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club

Not sure if you have an AWD or FWD, but on AWD models that shake is sometimes caused by old gear fluid in the transfer case and rear differential and there is a dramatic improvement in gear shifts.

I would personally pull the battery cables and reset the computer first as sometimes a gas cap or something with the air going into the vehicle can tip off a light. Most auto dealers should have this scanner, even in Romania it should exist.

How many kilometers do you have on your RX300 now?
Old 04-21-08, 12:33 PM
lauralex
Driver School Candidate

240.000km and i do not know if it is normal it consumes 20/100km
Old 04-21-08, 12:51 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lauralex
i do not know if it is normal it consumes 20/100km
Is that 20 liters of gasoline/petrol per 100 km or 20 ml of engine oil per 100 km?
Old 04-21-08, 02:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Out of rough calculations (I hope I did them right), that is about 12 mpg, which was something I was getting in Mexico City before I undertook modifications. You might have an A/F sensor issue there. You need not go to a Lexus/Toyota dealer, but just about any automotive dealer should have an OBD2 scanner. When I lived in Mexico, we got most of the European cars not sold in the U.S., and even my Actron OBD2 scanner would scan most of them,
Old 04-22-08, 02:03 PM
TimWK
Driver School Candidate

Hello I'm new to the forum and the vsc light and engine lights came on. Auto Zone read the code to be P440, P441, and P446. he said it may be the gas cap and then reset the lights. What are these codes? Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards
Old 04-22-08, 02:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Welcome to the club, the codes you mentioned are all related to the evap system. This could be something as simple as the fuel cap, but could also be a charcoal canister or one of the lines that goes over the fuel tank back to the charcoal canister (enclosed by the big black box you see underneath the rear of the vehicle). Evap isn't nearly as serious as say something with the engine itself or the transmission.
Old 04-22-08, 04:47 PM
TimWK
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick response.

Best Regards
Old 03-28-09, 10:48 AM
natsibley
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem

I am new to the club. I have a 2001 Lexus RX300. The VSC light and CEL have been going on and off for a little while now. They usually come on and stay on for a day or two and then go off for roughly the same amount of time. Although they have stayed on for longer stretches at times.

I checked the codes and got a P1160 - Manufacturer control air fuel metering. Anybody know what the problem might be?

I read in a few places that VSC + CEL might be caused by a disconnected vacuum hose from the air filter box. I looked around it and couldn't find anything disconnected but if the hose connects underneath or at the bottom of the back side I may have missed it. Does anyone have pictures/diagrams of where this hose is at?
Old 03-28-09, 01:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by natsibley
I am new to the club. I have a 2001 Lexus RX300. The VSC light and CEL have been going on and off for a little while now. They usually come on and stay on for a day or two and then go off for roughly the same amount of time. Although they have stayed on for longer stretches at times.

I checked the codes and got a P1160 - Manufacturer control air fuel metering. Anybody know what the problem might be?

I read in a few places that VSC + CEL might be caused by a disconnected vacuum hose from the air filter box. I looked around it and couldn't find anything disconnected but if the hose connects underneath or at the bottom of the back side I may have missed it. Does anyone have pictures/diagrams of where this hose is at?
Welcome to the Club.

That's likely related to the MAF sensor, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...out-yours.html (see post 7 and onward about this sensor).
Old 05-24-10, 05:58 AM
anders22
Driver School Candidate

Default hello

My CEL and VSC light just came on on my fiance's 2001 RX 300- about a week after I put a K&N air filter in it....thoughts?

I am going to check the gas cap and run some fuel injection cleaner through it...

Thanks
Old 05-24-10, 12:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Try cleaning the MAF sensor. What probably happened is that the oil from the K&N filter went onto the diode inside the maf sensor. Try cleaning the MAF and let us know if the signs come back.
Originally Posted by anders22
My CEL and VSC light just came on on my fiance's 2001 RX 300- about a week after I put a K&N air filter in it....thoughts?

I am going to check the gas cap and run some fuel injection cleaner through it...

Thanks
Old 05-25-10, 03:44 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Try cleaning the MAF sensor. What probably happened is that the oil from the K&N filter went onto the diode inside the maf sensor. Try cleaning the MAF and let us know if the signs come back.
^^+1

Would'nt also doubt if it was a P0171 Lean code.
Old 06-15-10, 08:49 AM
reidcor
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I have three lights coming on: CEL, VSC and TRAC. Went out and came back. Once the Lexus dealer said something came loose (maybe a vacuum line) when our oil change shop was doing oil change. Lexus put the (hose?) back and the lights stayed out. Now they're on again, I'd love to know where this is located so I can check it. But it may be that the related sensor is now bad. AutoZone gave me a printout that says "P0128" and coments are "AA1-Faulty thermostat" and "AA2-CTS circuit faulty." Any ideas I can check before going back to the dealer?
Thx much.
Old 06-15-10, 12:17 PM
rmaysfla
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 rx300

Bought new, 80,000 trouble free miles except 2 occassions (1st @50,000 miles & 2nd @ 65000 miles). CEL, VSC & TRAC OFF lights came on all at once. Contacted Lexus dealer and was told most likely loose gas cap. Tightened gas cap and lights went off with 48 hrs. Two weeks ago lights came on for a 3rd time. No luck with gas cap trick. I took to a local mechanic who replaced the O2 sensor ($355) and told me I was good. The VSC & TRAC OFF lights are still on. Local mechanic confused. I am taking it to a dealer tomorrow. I will let know how I do. Comments/thoughts from anybody would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: VSC Light and Check Engine Light