RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First snow experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 05:32 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts
Default First snow experience

Well we had a nice big snowfall Sunday. Had at least 10" in the driveway, with drifitng. Am glad to have a condo townhouse; didn't have to shovel all that .

Took the RX out Sunday morning for the usual chores. Streets hadn't been plowed yet. Car handled great no issues with the deep drifts, just the other less skilled drivers and their inabillities. Parking lots were mostly empty as were the stores. Mostly AWD vehicles on the roads.

Will definitely put on snows next year, though. Problem isn't getting going, it's stopping and even our AWD with the snow mode, etc., we still can't define the laws of physics.
Old 12-17-07, 05:40 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
we still can't define the laws of physics.
DOHHH
Old 12-17-07, 07:37 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm constantly amazed at the ability of the active handling to correct any loss of traction. This past weekend we received about 6" of snow and I took the car to an empty parking lot to test the handling and found it almost impossible to get the car to spin or otherwise 'lose control'.
Old 12-17-07, 07:40 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

For all practical purpose, Newtonian Physics rules. They are all observations and not creations.

Salim
Old 12-17-07, 12:08 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've had several chances to 'test' our RX in snow conditions and have found that it has been able to handle everything that mother nature has thrown at it - so far! That includes driving mountain passes in complete blizzard conditions - the RX did way better than the driver at surviving, my finger prints are still embedded in the wood grain on the steering wheel and my wife’s finger prints are permanently etched in the grab handle and armrest!
Old 12-18-07, 10:05 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear our RX's do well in the snow.

We don't get any snow in Los Angeles , so might take mine up to Big Bear in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-19-07, 12:24 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can say my RX350 can go through anything that Alaska has to throw at it!! No problems at all, ever--it just goes and goes like the little energizer bunny
Old 12-28-07, 03:06 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

When I first got my RX350, it handled great in the snow. This season, after a year of tread loss, it is not handling too great. So you need that full tread depth.

I just put on some Pirellie ice and snows. I will report in after a good long drive in some bad stuff.
Old 12-29-07, 10:52 AM
grouch
Driver

Fear is your best friend in snow and ice. Over confidence will put you in the ditch or worse.
Technology only helps correct minor driver errors.

IMO
Old 12-29-07, 07:11 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Sheesh--the lexus will correct Major drivers error!! I can take mine out in an empty parking lot to see what I can get it to do---its VERY hard to get it out of control
Old 12-31-07, 12:47 PM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

Had a 2004 with 17 inchers (All Seasons). Now have a 2008 with 18 inchers (All Seasons) and it is definitely more difficult with the 18's. The 2004 with the 17's was a joy....the new unit is not so sure footed.
Old 01-01-08, 11:07 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rx13
Had a 2004 with 17 inchers (All Seasons). Now have a 2008 with 18 inchers (All Seasons) and it is definitely more difficult with the 18's. The 2004 with the 17's was a joy....the new unit is not so sure footed.
My New unit is Solid
Old 01-02-08, 12:43 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

I have the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's in 18 in on my RX330 Thundercloud now and really like the way they handle the snow and compacted snow and ice. Before the RX came with the MXV4 Michelins and the first winter was pretty good, the second winter was only so-so and I didn't even take the chance this winter with 38 K on the Michelins and switched over the the Bridgestones. Expect those to do quite well for more than a couple years. They have a deeper tread pattern to begin with, have a 60 K warrenty and are a bit more agressive in the tread pattern than the Michelins.

By the way Orzel, do you have to put chains on your RX Thundercloud when going thru the passes. During Christmas flew into Sea-Tec to visit my daughter and while there they were talking about all the snow in Snoquamie Pass (I-90). A couple times they referred to "Traction Tires Required" and then a couple times I saw "Chains Required". The one State Police they were interviewing stated they watch for unchained vehicles and pull them over for a $538. fine (that's steep!). So would assume that regardless of the vehicle, you have to have chains on when the signs are stating so.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud. Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black Interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, MLS, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Cleaner, Tow Package with OEM Hitch and 18 in. Bridgestone Alenza's on Thundercloud rims.

1998 GS300 (Previous)
Old 01-02-08, 01:07 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washington State Passes

Originally Posted by DakotaRX
By the way Orzel, do you have to put chains on your RX Thundercloud when going thru the passes. During Christmas flew into Sea-Tec to visit my daughter and while there they were talking about all the snow in Snoquamie Pass (I-90). A couple times they referred to "Traction Tires Required" and then a couple times I saw "Chains Required". The one State Police they were interviewing stated they watch for unchained vehicles and pull them over for a $538. fine (that's steep!). So would assume that regardless of the vehicle, you have to have chains on when the signs are stating so.
(Previous)
Hi DakotaRX, In answer to your questions, never had to chain up as yet, but I do carry them every winter - that's required for all vehicles from about 1 Nov. through usually end of March. I’ve been carrying the same set of chains for years and never gotten them out of the case (same chains that fit our RX300 and our RAV 4’s and still fit the RX330 based on total wheel/tire size). Typically "Chains Required" also means that AWD and 4WD are exempt. There have been occasions when even the 4 wheelers were required to chain up (absolute blizzard conditions, with snow being measured in feet instead of inches), when I see that, I usually turn around and just meander back home - it means that conditions have gone from bloody awful to totally insane and no person in their right mind wants to be running the passes unless it's a life or death emergency!

We rarely go over Snoqualmie Pass, first off it’s to far South for us, and secondly, the collection of unprepared idiots there make for long trips, long lines and lots of wrecks, so we stick with Stevens, which is over 1k feet higher, road is steeper, mostly two lane, and makes for much more ‘interesting’ driving right about now - we're getting record snowfalls on all our passes - must be that global warming we hear so much about.

BTW – Nice RX that Thundercloud!!
Old 02-17-14, 04:47 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This year has been one bad winter, a true test for the Rx.

I have the Scorpion Verde All Season tires on and along with the snow mode so far I haven't had a problem with the snow. I live in NYC and when the trucks plow the street, snow is pushed to the right side. Even with that, I was able to climb out of without an issue. Soon as she slips I press snow mode and she gets right through it like butter.

This snow season gave me another reason to like this vehicle so much.

Not to show off but a car was stuck trying to get into a gas station as they haven't shoveled the entrance because it shortly stopped snowing. Fresh snow on top of slush. YUCK. So while the other vehicle was spinning it's wheels, I already had snow mode engaged and just drove around the vehicle up to the pump and got gas.