RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing antenna trouble help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 01:04 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing antenna trouble help needed

I tried doing this like maybe 1+ yr ago, but wasn't able to take the antenna portion out for some reason and didn't have enough time to pull the motor out.

Trying to tackle the problem once again and this time, I took out the motor completely, opened up the motor, took out the broken teeth and the remaining plastic strip still inside.
I still cannot pull the antenna out to replace it. I'm pretty much at the home stretch and this is still haunting me.
I tried lifting the white gasket a bit and spray penetrating oil, it's not helping.
I tried putting locking pliers on the antenna to increase grip and pull, wouldn't budge at all.
How corroded can it get inside the tube?

What else can I do?

Old 05-10-20, 02:32 PM
wing0
Intermediate

The plastic piece is pulled off and the antenna still won't budge.

I've been trying to crimp it with pliers and pulling for over an hour.
​​​​​​
What the hell...sorry for language.
​​​​​​

Old 05-10-20, 02:52 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Maybe the guy who made this was having a bad day and put epoxy inside.

I tried a few more times, the locking pliers has gripped so hard that it has flatten half the cylinder and I've asked for help to hold the other end and doing tug of war pull, still not budging.
I am about to raise the white flag and buy a replacement unit, the frustration and curse words I've muttered is enough to shorten my life by a year already.
I really want to take a dremel and cut this to see what's holding this thing in.
Old 05-10-20, 03:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

Are you trying to eject there mast or take the unit out.

To remove unit, first eject the mast. Process is listed in the DIY ... button sequence.

The uit is removed by removing the panels (they are interlocked). Once you gain access to the inside the right rear panel, then you have to undo the fasteners and extricate the whole unit by dropping it down.

Salim
Old 05-10-20, 03:05 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are you trying to eject there mast or take the unit out.

To remove unit, first eject the mast. Process is listed in the DIY ... button sequence.

The uit is removed by removing the panels (they are interlocked). Once you gain access to the inside the right rear panel, then you have to undo the fasteners and extricate the whole unit by dropping it down.

Salim
Thanks for the reply, let me clarify again. I have the antenna unit completely out of the car.
I'm trying to remove the antenna mast. I have already disassembled the motor housing and took out all the broken bits and the motor wheel has nothing to pull the mast down, because about 2/3 of the mast was bent and cut off already.
The mast does not want to come out of the tube as shown in my last photo.

This is the entire unit, you can see the remaining portion of the mast.

Old 05-10-20, 08:47 PM
salimshah

Opps!

To eject the mast [all pieces] you must be electrically connected to the RX. The radio sends the signal to the motor to hyperextend and allow the remaining portions to be released.

There may be other issue(s) but try the eject part before trying aggressive techniques.

Worst case, source it from a salvage yard. There should be plenty of them.

Salim
Old 05-10-20, 09:59 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Opps!

To eject the mast [all pieces] you must be electrically connected to the RX. The radio sends the signal to the motor to hyperextend and allow the remaining portions to be released.

There may be other issue(s) but try the eject part before trying aggressive techniques.

Worst case, source it from a salvage yard. There should be plenty of them.

Salim
Before I took out the motor unit, I turned on the radio, hear the motor run until it times out which means it's at the "extended" state.
I've tried soaking the edges where it seems to be stuck with PB blaster and liquid wrench penetrating oil for 4hrs+
Still couldn't take it out, I give up.

Looks like about $250cad to import an used one from ebay US, nothing in Canada that I could search up.
Doesn't seem worth it, I'll call around junkyard here to see if they might have one
Worst case, I think I will just install the aftermarket strip version and stick it onto the side window even though I think the semi-reflective tint affects reception.

Old 05-11-20, 09:15 AM
salimshah

There is more to it. There is a button sequence you have to follow. Let me try to find out for you or maybe another member can point out how to eject the antenna.

In the mean time you can check the DIY.

Salim

here it is https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...otor-help.html
post #2 Step C.

Last edited by salimshah; 05-11-20 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-11-20, 09:32 AM
wing0
Intermediate

There is more to it. There is a button sequence you have to follow. Let me try to find out for you or maybe another member can point out how to eject the antenna.

In the mean time you can check the DIY.

Salim

here it is https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...otor-help.html
post #2 Step C.
I've read about that as well, but like I said, the gear strip is completely gone from the motor so whether I turn on or off the radio, it will not extend the mast up or down.
it's in permanent up position already.

I believe that instruction is so that the mast and the gear strip goes full extended up position so you can pull the antenna off, but that's for a functional mast from my understanding.
Old 05-11-20, 09:48 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by wing0
I've read about that as well, but like I said, the gear strip is completely gone from the motor so whether I turn on or off the radio, it will not extend the mast up or down.

I believe that instruction is so that the mast and the gear strip goes full extended up position so you can pull the antenna off, but that's for a functional mast from my understanding.
Definitely your choice to act or discard. When I get stuck, I usually am open to try something that I have not done before.

Salim
Old 05-11-20, 12:04 PM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0

I did this job last year on my RX, and I want to affirm what you are trying to do. The hardest part was just taking the rear quarter panels off and removing the motor, which you have already done. I was able to easily pull my defective antenna out of the outer orifice before pulling the motor by unscrewing the external hold down nut and removing the plastic trim piece (I assume you are keeping the outer plastic trim piece on the shank just for photo purposes) Anyway, everything above the cast threaded stem of the motor shaft should be part of the antenna, and "should" come out. It really does sound like someone epoxied the antenna base in to keep it extended, but I'm now sure how that would have been a long-term solution.
A couple of suggestions: Use a torch right in front of the threaded base while pulling out on the antenna, or (2) drill a cross-bore hole in the antenna base right above the threaded mast area, say 1/8 to 3/16", insert a cross pin...nail, screw, etc...anchor motor unit in a vise and pull on the cross pin, like with a come-a-long, or whatever. Wish I were there to help.
Old 05-11-20, 12:56 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ricco750
I did this job last year on my RX, and I want to affirm what you are trying to do. The hardest part was just taking the rear quarter panels off and removing the motor, which you have already done. I was able to easily pull my defective antenna out of the outer orifice before pulling the motor by unscrewing the external hold down nut and removing the plastic trim piece (I assume you are keeping the outer plastic trim piece on the shank just for photo purposes) Anyway, everything above the cast threaded stem of the motor shaft should be part of the antenna, and "should" come out. It really does sound like someone epoxied the antenna base in to keep it extended, but I'm now sure how that would have been a long-term solution.
A couple of suggestions: Use a torch right in front of the threaded base while pulling out on the antenna, or (2) drill a cross-bore hole in the antenna base right above the threaded mast area, say 1/8 to 3/16", insert a cross pin...nail, screw, etc...anchor motor unit in a vise and pull on the cross pin, like with a come-a-long, or whatever. Wish I were there to help.
I was half joking about the epoxy portion as we've owned the vehicle since new and the antenna was never worked on by the dealership or anyone else.
I think just overtime with salt/grime exposure of 19 years(especially now we use this liquid solution when roads are around freezing point, things are just corroded inside the tube so much that it's impossible to take out now.

I've seen videos of people with broken gear strips that just yank the whole mast out without turning on the radio so I'm a bit skeptical on that particular step in the service manual.

Sort of like what this youtuber is mentioning that it doesn't always come out 2min43sec mark. He also showed some units where you can see the corrosion at the end of the tube.
Old 05-11-20, 01:39 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Many years ago on my 99 RX I replaced the mast without any problem whatsoever, without removing the motor. Point being, I know how to do it. More recently on my 02 nothing I tried would extricate the mast from the motor, even after removing the motor assembly from the vehicle. Bought a used assembly off eBay, installed it, and works like a champ.
Old 05-11-20, 02:04 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JAB
Many years ago on my 99 RX I replaced the mast without any problem whatsoever, without removing the motor. Point being, I know how to do it. More recently on my 02 nothing I tried would extricate the mast from the motor, even after removing the motor assembly from the vehicle. Bought a used assembly off eBay, installed it, and works like a champ.
Thanks for sharing your experience 2 experiences.
I do feel this is more of an environmental issue that I'm having.
Unless I can find a cheap assembly like you(unlikely due to age of these cars now) or I just go with some aftermarket antenna solution.

I also read the service manual and seems like we have a diversity antenna system. The other antenna is printed on the glass on the left rear window.
I assume that's primarily FM while this power antenna is FM/AM.
Old 05-11-20, 03:45 PM
coomassie
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just yank it out, hard. Had this same issue, and put some strength into it which allowed the stuck portion to dislodge.