RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Problems arise - shaky idle, misfiring, missing as it accelerates

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 05:36 AM
1stgenlex3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems arise - shaky idle, misfiring, missing as it accelerates

Hi all. I'm new to site and female (car lover but knowledge under hood is marginal so bear with me).

Little background info : I'm only owner of my 1999 rx. Had side swipe on front passenger side in 2004, only 1800 in cosmetic damage. In 2011 at around 157k miles, engine had to be replaced. Due to what? Don't know. My dad took care of issue bc I was traveling for work a lot. Second engine was used, 55k on it. Car mileage now is a little over 69k. It's mileage is low bc I had job from 2013 to 16 that provided company car, so the Lexus was just driven to grocery etc.-you know, places close by, just to keep it from sitting, not driven.

So here is my situation... In Sept of this year, a teen in his 3series BMW decided to pull into a parking lot from the passing lane, basically coming to a halt on a 6 lane highway on one of the main arteries going into city limits. There is a small hill that you go over about 40 yards back from where he was stopping and crossing over right lane into lot. I come over hill doing 60 and slam on brakes so hard o I thought they would go thru floorboard. My car had zero cosmetic damage and when I popped hood, nothing there either. His car bumper, driver back, was detached, but that was all. Geezzzz it sounded terrible though!!! I just knew the front was crushed, but wasn't. I kept thinking, with that sound and as hard as I braked, something has to be wrong. But for days nothing changed. Drove the same.

Then about 10 days later, started feeling rough and sounding more like a car without muffler. I mean, not to anyone else, but I noticed the sound was different. Especially upon turning it on ot off. Around end of October trac light came on and hasn't gone off.

Then week after Thanksgiving, it started missing, like when you get bad gas. It was subtle though bc a friend only noticed it a couple of times the first night it started doing this. We were doing some shopping around town, drove about 15 miles total. Then I had to go out of town for work and they provide rental car so my Lexus sat at home. Drove it local (maybe 4 miles) after I returned and then another work trip with rental and returned just this last Tuesday - 3days ago- and when I pulled out of enterprise the check engine light came on, no blinking) and the missing and shaking while idle was worse.

I've only driven it one more time....Last night I had to drive across town on the by pass and the car, at 65/70mph, misfires 4 times on way back home, jerking me back and forth, like how you would feel if you were rear-ended. Scared me to death. The car still riding rough, shaking idle, and when I got it home and turned it off, sounded like a old truck would sound as you turn it off - like a muffled rattle sound. Engine light started blinking when I got out last night, just before the misfiring started. Trac light still on since Oct.

I'm guessing this is from my accident in September? Read some other stories of similar issues and one person had slammed on brakes due to dear in road. My issues were delayed though, by like 2 months before anythjng happened and then it was 3 months before all this missing, shaking idle and misfire with check engine started happening...... Is that normal? Assuming the accident caused this to occur, take this long to show? Any thoughts on what issue could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'o just like to go into mechanic with some knowledge so I feel better about what they tell me and how I decide to move forward as I'm not wanting to put a lot of money into this car at this point. Planning to get something else, but can't till summer next year. I do want to keep this car for trips to Lowe's, hauling stuff etc.

​​​? Thanks so much and y'll enjoy your weekend!
Old 12-15-17, 05:50 AM
1stgenlex3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to add, in case it could be helpful info, my air conditioner went out early this summer. There is air that comes out, it just wasn't cool or cold AC. I guess it just needed freon or coolant, whatever that is called. I just never got around to it. Wanted to share that info, in case there could be a connection.
Thanks again
Old 12-15-17, 06:58 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Get the code(s) read. Sounds like it is in limp mode from a bad sensor. May have nothing to do with the accident at all.
Old 12-15-17, 07:21 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

There are two parts.
1. Diagnosis and repair
2. Who pays for it

For the second you would need repair shop to establish the cause to be the accident and then the repair costs can be claimed/recovered (which may not be the same thing) based on who was 'at fault'.

For us to help, Carguy has already suggested that we need the Check Engine Codes.
Simple misfire can be spark plug going bad or coil-pack is fried. Search on those and we have swap process to narrow the problem down. Plugs should be replaced at 110K with OEM only.

Salim
Old 06-10-20, 03:34 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

a woman and a used car salesman....sending positive vibes