RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

is it the starter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 11:53 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default is it the starter??

This may be more of an "Automotive 101" question than purely Lexus-related but I'm hoping some of the more mechanically-literate members might be able to help. As I've mentioned before, our '99 RX300 mostly sits parked: in the summer it's our weekend beach car, and most of the rest of the year it may not get started for a couple of weeks at a time. The exception is during the New England winter, roughly January through March, but I'll get to that in a second.

When it was needing a jump start every weekend I had AAA install a new battery, which made a world of difference, except every once in a while it would not start on the first turn of the key. I chalked that up to having left too many things on - radio, heat-A/C, GPS - sapping too many of the 12v that the starter needs. It typically cranks and starts on the second or third turn of the key.

Now serving as my winter daily driver, I still don't go too far, sometimes not moving it for a day. I've found lately that more and more it won't start on that first turn, even though everything electrical is off and the new batter has plenty of juice, evidenced by the loud ringing of the seatbelt chime and bright display of dash lights. Just as I was starting to think that MAYBE the starter is on its way out, we hit a cold snap here - about 10°F - and it won't start at all. In discussing it with another old-timer (I'm 58), I was reminded of how, BITD, we'd tap a starter with a hammer at times like this, and it would usually start. I'm about to drag out my battery charger, hoping to overwhelm it with more amps than it typically needs.

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-17, 12:00 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Please read the sticky thread 'having problems start here'.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-problem.html

When you say the vehicle is not starting it makes perfect sense to you, but for folks to help you (who are not present with you) a more elaborate explanation is required. Once you read the topic under starting issues, you can come back and explain it more to us.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-12-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 03:59 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please read the sticky thread 'having problems start here'.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-problem.html

When you say the vehicle is not starting it makes perfect sense to you, but for folks to help you (who are not present with you) a more elaborate explanation is required. Once you read the topic under starting issues, you can come back and explain it more to us.

Salim
Sorry Salim, I thought I was clear. I have read that thread; I turn the key and hear nothing, no clicks, no turning, but plenty of battery juice. I don't know how to determine whether it's solenoid or starter. Searches for "solenoid" reveal other issues with various non-starting problems, some I've already dealt with and corrected.
Old 03-12-17, 04:00 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be helpful to know how many miles you have on your 99 RX. My 99 has 245K on it, and I have experienced your problem at two points in the car's life, and each time the solution (for me at least) was to rebuild the starter; first time at about 110K and the second time about another 100K later. It is extremely easy for a modestly competent DIYer to remove from the car, and the parts with which to rebuild it (contacts and plunger) cost no more than $20 total. At the dealer a new (or remanufactured) starter plus labor to install will probably cost you $600 or more. This is a common problem with Denso starters; had the same experience in my 2000 Subaru Outback.
Old 03-12-17, 04:53 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JAB
It would be helpful to know how many miles you have on your 99 RX. My 99 has 245K on it, and I have experienced your problem at two points in the car's life, and each time the solution (for me at least) was to rebuild the starter; first time at about 110K and the second time about another 100K later.
It had about 178,000 miles on it when we bought it 2 years ago, but we were told it had a "new" engine (I'm sure it has nearly as many miles...). About 185,000 now.

Originally Posted by JAB
It is extremely easy for a modestly competent DIYer to remove from the car, and the parts with which to rebuild it (contacts and plunger) cost no more than $20 total. At the dealer a new (or remanufactured) starter plus labor to install will probably cost you $600 or more. This is a common problem with Denso starters; had the same experience in my 2000 Subaru Outback.
I would LOVE to find a tutorial about that. I googled "rebuild Denso starter" and found this:

Old 03-12-17, 06:15 PM
salimshah

I have update my reply after re-reading post 3.
It seems like the ignition switch or the the PRND-safety switch. Try roving the gear to N or Park and see if the RX would at least click.

If you take the starter [starter and solenoid] out as a piece, you can have it bench tested at auto-parts-shop.

I would not get into the starter unless it is really needed and would limit the work to repairing the solenoid.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-12-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 06:01 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

It seems like the ignition switch or the the PRND-safety switch. Try roving the gear to N or Park and see if the RX would at least click.
Salim
I did try starting in Neutral (should have mentioned that); same thing: no clicking, no turning, no noises from engine, just dash lights and dinging chimes to tell me there's plenty of battery power. I've done LOTS of searching in this forum for "Starter solenoid" and have seen plenty of posts about changing the contacts for $10 or so but not much about how to get to the starter in the first place, other than THIS POST that lays out many steps. I guess I'll try YouTube next....
Old 03-13-17, 07:58 AM
salimshah

If the solenoid contacts are bad, then you would at least hear the click form the primary side of the solenoid relay. I would trace +12v on the primary side. Battery, fuse, ignition switch, PRND switch solenoid. That is why I suggested to jump +12v to primary side of the solenoid [with the vehicle in P or N].

Solenoid primary [coil] can also go bad, but very unlikely.
Salim
Old 03-13-17, 09:52 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

In case anyone is confused, my suggestion on this subject was meant to be confined to the solenoid, which is where the contacts and plunger are located.
Old 03-13-17, 10:19 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

If the solenoid contacts are bad, then you would at least hear the click form the primary side of the solenoid relay.
Salim
I stand corrected!! The "click" must have been so faint that I failed to acknowledge it. It's a bit warmer today (28°F) so I kept trying and it finally started to crank after 5-6 tries. I let it get warm and I'm hopeful I will make it to the supermarket and back (preparing to hunker down for "Nor'easter 2017" and its forecasted 2 feet of snow). Thanks for your help Salim!

Originally Posted by JAB
In case anyone is confused, my suggestion on this subject was meant to be confined to the solenoid, which is where the contacts and plunger are located.
I follow you JAB, and your posts on this issue are very helpful, thanks. Not having a garage, I'm hoping to tackle this when it gets MUCH warmer...

Last edited by djeddieo; 03-13-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 12:14 PM
salimshah

It seems the plunger is not moving. Electrical issue/mechanical issue are your problems. Do the test to confirm. See the middle post with blade post (not the two large bolted terminals) .. this is the point you want to jump.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-13-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 12:38 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Consider investing in an automatic float charger if you seldom drive the vehicle. It will keep the battery's cold cranking amps in check if it has enough electrolyte and enough cells are good.
Old 03-14-17, 04:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

OK, let's ask this. When you turn the ignition to Start, does anything happen (click from the starter solenoid but no starter turning, engine turning over but not starting)? When you say it starts after the second or third turn, do you mean it does absolutely none of the above on the first turn and then starts normally on the second or third turn, or it turns over but doesn't fire on the first turn and then starts normally on the second or third? Could be a number of things (battery, ignition switch, solenoid, starter, fuel pump, etc) depending on precisely what's going on.
Old 03-15-17, 03:21 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sktn77a
OK, let's ask this. When you turn the ignition to Start, does anything happen (click from the starter solenoid but no starter turning, engine turning over but not starting)? When you say it starts after the second or third turn, do you mean it does absolutely none of the above on the first turn and then starts normally on the second or third turn, or it turns over but doesn't fire on the first turn and then starts normally on the second or third? Could be a number of things (battery, ignition switch, solenoid, starter, fuel pump, etc) depending on precisely what's going on.
Thanks for posting and trying to assist, but those questions have been asked and answered already...
Originally Posted by djeddieo
...it won't start on that first turn, even though everything electrical is off and the new battery has plenty of juice, evidenced by the loud ringing of the seatbelt chime and bright display of dash lights...
​​​​​​​
... I turn the key and hear nothing, no clicks, no turning, but plenty of battery juice. I don't know how to determine whether it's solenoid or starter. Searches for "solenoid" reveal other issues with various non-starting problems, some I've already dealt with and corrected.
I did try starting in Neutral (should have mentioned that); same thing: no clicking, no turning, no noises from engine, just dash lights and dinging chimes to tell me there's plenty of battery power.....
​​​​​​​
I stand corrected!! The "click" must have been so faint that I failed to acknowledge it...it finally started to crank after 5-6 tries.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-15-17, 05:04 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have personally within the last year fixed two starters by replacing the solenoid contacts and plunger. Cost $15 from Amazon. In both cases the cars works great now.

Quick Reply: is it the starter??