RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

BIG suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 06:49 AM
undrcroft
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG suspension problem

So i have two main issues with my suspension currently.
1st problem, I had a noise in the rear when decelerating from over 60mph. I would get a quick repetitive thumping/clunking/vibration sound from the rear until I slowed to about 30mph or so. I actually needed tires and new break pads and rotors around the same time this noise popped up, and the noise persisted after those were fixed, so it seems like it has to be suspension. I had almost identical sound about 2 years ago, and my normal shop replaced a rear control arm if I remember correctly, and the sound went away. I went to Midas because they were the only ones that weren't crazy busy, and told them about the sound and the possible control arm connection, but they said the problem was the struts. I didn't agree but the SUV is sitting at 230k miles, I've driven 100k of those, and never replaced the struts so I figured it was probably time anyway. After 4 brand new struts the noise was dampened a little bit but definitely still there, but now..
2nd problem, 2 of the brand new strut mounts have broken. One broke within a week on the front driver side. Now less than a month later a 2nd one has broken on the right rear. What the hell??? Do I complain to Midas corporate? Obviously this doesn't bode well for the longevity of these struts. I would just take it to a good shop, but I'm stuck dealing with Midas fixing their mistakes, and they're giving me a hard time about the original noise since its not as loud and they claim its not happening.

Any ideas on whats left that could be causing the noise, and what I should do about being stuck with crappy suspension parts?
Old 11-15-16, 07:59 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Thumping on decelleration, consider the idea that axle cv joints are worn. CVs will bang under load.

what brand of struts did they install? Most aftermarket struts are CRAP. You would be better off buying a set of used oem struts off ebay or craigslist from a dismantler.
Old 11-15-16, 08:02 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They obviously used cheap aftermarket strut mounts, which are the weak points at each corner. About 60K ago I replaced all 4 corners on my RX and used KYB mounts; I recently had to replace the rear KYB mounts as one had failed.
Old 11-17-16, 06:12 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

if you are within your parts and labor warranty, take it up with Midas and corporate as needed. If not, move on and get a mechanic to drop the struts, inspect and replace with quality parts as needed. As JAB mentioned, the KYB aftermarket strut mounts are crap. See my aftermarket parts thread if you want to see crappy welds. Use the Toyota/Lexus mounts. As far as struts, the KYB Excel-G/GR-2 struts have been a solid replacement.
Old 11-20-16, 08:50 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by undrcroft
2nd problem, 2 of the brand new strut mounts have broken. One broke within a week on the front driver side. Now less than a month later a 2nd one has broken on the right rear.
1 week, 1 month, after installation? Just take it back and have them replace the mounts under warranty. That was either a defective part of workmanship.
Old 11-22-16, 11:11 AM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I replaced my front struts last year, I bought kyb struts that came with mounts. But I still made it a point to buy OEM mounts because the aftermarket ones are garbage, thinner metal and weaker design.
Struts are still good, but definitely not as soft or comfortable to OEM ones.