RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust System Components

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 10:20 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exhaust System Components

So we have an 02 with 230,000 miles that has seen 13 winters and it looks like we need to replace the exhaust from just after the front pipes to the rear. Local repair shop is quoting me ~$6200 using genuine Lexus parts. Any recommendations on aftermarket or should we stick with Lexus OEM?? We plan on keeping this car another ~3 years. I shudder at the thought of doing this repair myself but I can't pay that price for an exhaust repair.
Old 07-12-15, 10:30 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Walker parts are pretty good. You can get just about everything from rockauto.
Old 07-12-15, 11:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm doing some work on my exhaust next weekend.

Replacing my rear catalytic converter which has been leaking at the hanger for years. Installing a Walker Ultra 49 State Converter-Ultra DF ($180 at Pepboys after discount code, and Pepboy Rewards) in addition to the Walker 56096 Exhaust Resonator Assembly ($50 on RockAuto).

The resonator doesn't need to be replaced in my case, but since the OEM Catalytic Converter is welded to the resonator, It's easier to buy a new assembly and clamp them together.

So in essence, it should not cost you $6300. You can replace the entire exhaust system with Walker parts for well under $1000. I've used Bosal in the past as well, and they too are good. Walker usually has rebates as well, which can bring the price down even more.
Old 07-12-15, 06:13 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Thanks for the help. I'll dig into those sources and if I have any install issues I'll post questions here.......
Old 07-13-15, 08:19 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

hypervish, let us know how that goes, I need to do the same project on mine, thanks!
Old 07-13-15, 10:49 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

There are times when OEM parts are advised. And there are other times when theyre not. This is one that is not. In fact its not even a realistic option to pay $6k for exaust work. Aftermarket all the way with exaust.
Old 07-13-15, 02:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by carguy07
hypervish, let us know how that goes, I need to do the same project on mine, thanks!
Absolutely, will do!
Old 07-14-15, 08:14 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bobster999
There are times when OEM parts are advised. And there are other times when theyre not. This is one that is not. In fact its not even a realistic option to pay $6k for exaust work. Aftermarket all the way with exaust.
The only appeal to me on an of an OEM exhaust is an exact no fuss no muss fit. And my original lasted 13 years so that's kind of a plus! My local shop seems to insist that after markets will only last 2-3 years.
Old 07-14-15, 10:06 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by colenzae
The only appeal to me on an of an OEM exhaust is an exact no fuss no muss fit. And my original lasted 13 years so that's kind of a plus! My local shop seems to insist that after markets will only last 2-3 years.
I would think a decent aftermarket system would go 5 years or more depending on climate. Even if it only lasted 2-3 years, you would still save thousands replacing it several times.
Old 07-14-15, 02:32 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Seeing that you are in NY, I guess its feasible for a new aftermarket exhaust to rust out in that time. I

You can spray it with high temp paint to help prevent that, but the likelihood of that happening in just 2 or 3 years is very low, IMO.
Old 07-14-15, 04:26 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Then i would question your local shops knowledge.
Old 07-19-15, 06:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Install went fairly well. The Walker parts fit well enough and didn't cause any issues.

My 02 sensor nuts were rusted and there was just no way to get them off. Started to cut the nut off, but it wasn't worth the effort. So, I just went ahead and bought a new 02 sensor.

The RX is nice and quiet again, and no CEL's right now. I'll be getting it emissions tested in September, I suspect it'll pass with flying colors as always.
Old 07-19-15, 06:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the update. Did you do the muffler too? It looks like all of the connections use those bolts with the springs and a gasket. Just an old school muffler clamp between the resonator and cat? Thanks!
Old 07-20-15, 05:04 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Default Exhaust System Components

Thanks for the update. Did you do the muffler too? It looks like all of the connections use those bolts with the springs and a gasket. Just an old school muffler clamp between the resonator and cat? Thanks!
No, I didn't replace the muffler as it isn't making too much noise. I may replace it next year, but I'm hoping it'll last another 3 years which is when I'll start looking into another RX.

Yes, all of the connections are spring and bolt/nut. I just bought some bolts and nuts at home depot beforehand. I can post up the part numbers once I get home, if you're interested.

Yep, used a 2&1/4 inch clamp between the catalytic converter and resonator. It worked great, and is not leaking. This was my number one concern, and it seems to have worked out.
Old 07-20-15, 07:15 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

I'll probably just buy the spring bolts from Walker, thanks. That's awesome that it's not leaking. Mine is in pretty bad shape now and getting annoyingly loud. I'll probably do the muffler too. So not a bad job to do in the driveway with no lift and no torch? I'm out of town right now and can't look at mine. Of course, Walker just had a cool rebate that ended.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Components