RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Problem with NAV and DVD player

Old 12-24-02, 07:27 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with NAV and DVD player

Hi guys,
I have a problem. I got a 2001 RX300 with NAV/HID's, with a factory DVD system installed (actually aftermarket where Lexus Sublet the entertainment to an audio store). I brought the car 3 times already for problems with the navigation.

The problem is the navigation where when I enter the address, it either does not exist or when I do have the address correct, the tracking is locating my vehicle as "floating" not on course.

The dealer said it had something to do with the interferrance of my DVD entertainment (just like the GX 470). They're saying that it delays my navigation while driving.

I have the 2000 version DVD based and they're not willing to swap 2002 version for me because I'm in California and it doesn't have any changes or new roads.

I currently am driving a loaner RX300 which I am pushing it to the limit in hanging, speeding, etc, but I want my car back.

They just called be (service advisor) and they said they can't produce the problem. I told them that I just went to a wedding 200 miles away and the area did not exist. I'm like, look, I paid XXX dollars for the navigation, DVD entertainment, etc. and "you're" telling me, "oh wells"? I said does this mean I should talk to Lexus headquarters to file a complaint. I paid so much for a luxury car and they said they can't fix it. I told them can we upgrade the DVD, perhaps it's old or something. The service advisor called me back and said to hold the car for a few days and they're going to have the installers of the DVD sit side by side with the technicians to see if they can solve that Navigation/DVD issue.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

I WANT MY BABY back....!!!
Old 12-25-02, 12:08 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you've got the dealer installed DVD system and Lexus corp. can't do anything about it. This is the problem between the installer and the dealer. I assume that your DVD plays on the existing Nav screen and for some reason it's interference with the factory Nav unit, right?
Old 12-25-02, 10:19 AM
mbmorgan
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 with the older Navigation ROM. No problems here in Los Angeles.

One thing I would check. Are you sure you are picking up a signal from the GPS satillite? I have experienced the "floating" effect if I am, say, exiting a parking garage (where the system can't pick-up the satellite). Once the signal is picked up, my blip on the screen will snap onto the proper road on the map.

You can tell if you have the signal because "GPS" will appear on the left hand side of the screen. Just below the compass (I think - not in the RX right now).

If you've brought the vehicle in, I would think the would have checked this out.

From time to time, I have entered addresses that don't seem to be in the database. If the newer ROM doesn't have any new California data, I don't think getting it is going to help you.

I'd also try to confirm that the area where you do most of your driving is an area convered by the Navigation ROM's data base. All the maps you see on the screen are from that database, the GPS satellite only tells the system where you are on the map. If the database doesn't have a map for that area, you will indeed be floating.

Good Luck,
Matt

Last edited by mbmorgan; 12-25-02 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-26-02, 03:52 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Not too sure about this topic for u, but i have same RX 2002 model with the 2001 version 1 Navigation and i also have a dvd tv system in my truck. of course it wasnt the lexus installed one. i did it myself and i can tell you i have absolutly NO problems.
so dont give up till they fix it.
TRY THIS. maybe they have your FM Modulator hooked up to the Navigation antenna instead of the radio antenna.
Old 12-26-02, 05:13 AM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Thanks guys,
I just had a great Christmas with my girlfriends family (too much food) and i'll be calling Lexus in the morning to get my car back. They said they're going to call the installers back to the dealer and sit side by side with the tech guys. The three times I went in were DVD/nav issues where once it was the DVD with no audio, but has video. The second time I brought it was because I didn't check the repair the first time, where now I have audio and video, but a lot of static. They rerouted their FM modulator and switched channels to 88.1 or something. They said it was interferring with the NAV. Now I brought it back in for me being upset because of a wedding I went to and I had no directions from the guests because I was like, no problem, just punch it in and I'm there. Wrong.

VVTI, I have the stock Nav display untouched. The DVD Lexus put in is in the rear light. I want to have it hooked up to the front NAV display so I can watch too (with me disconnecting something to make it work while vehicle is in motion), but they said only in GS 300-400's only. =(

I'll let you guys know what the outcome is today when I go after christmas shopping and then bringing the car back because they're next door to each other.