RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stuck Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 04:48 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, welcome to the club! Thanks for the info on the potential sunroof problems we may encounter.
Old 07-28-14, 04:49 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristena
Hey all,

Just in case this happens to someone else.. there is an easier way to do things instead of ripping your car apart...

snip ,,,, Edit ... snip

PS... try getting a book
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Salim
Old 07-31-14, 01:16 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say, I'm impressed with your motivation to dig in.

I would try to find a hulk in a junk yard and gut that sunroof assembly out. I looked on eBay, too much $$. Re-lube it... DONE!!

I'm looking for my own personal hulk to gut, but nothing close to me.

Good luck
Old 07-31-14, 02:18 PM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventive lubrication/maintenance

Are there words of wisdom for routine lubrication/maintenance to minimize the sunroof going belly-up ?
Old 08-01-14, 06:00 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under the heading of ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTION...

On a Mercedes forum, it was suggested that the sunroof rails be cleaned and a very thin coat of lithium grease be placed on the rails and that a dry spray lubricant be sprayed on a rag and applied to all rubber seals. Numerous Mercedes owners said this worked well. Any thoughts?
Old 07-02-17, 08:49 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shark13
I ended up having to tap the plastic "slider" piece that is attached to the cable with a hammer and tool. I managed to tap it all the way to the very end and then it just would not move any further. Unfortunately in the end what I found was that the cable was somehow stuck in the copper tubing. Eventually the slider and cable broke apart. At that point the cable was useless. I went so far as to remove the copper tubing on the end that was stuck. I was still unable to remove the cable. I even straightened the tubing and still am unable to remove the cable. I have not idea what possibly could be stuck inside the tube that a grown man using every thought he has cannot pull it out.

So now not only do I have no cable but I have lost use of that portion of the tube (the part which is welded to a mounting bracket). To top it off it appears that my year of RX300 (99) along with all 99-03's do not have replacement cables. From 2004 on there are replacements but not for my version. I haven't actually looked at the parts for the newer models but I have seen the diagram and my guess is they are compatible. For now I manually closed the sunroof and reinstalled everything. If and when I wish to tackle this problem I will probably buy a used sunroof and start from there.
hi how did you "manually" close the sunroof? Mine is 99% closed but there is a hairline gap that allows sunlight and of course water in. I've tested it and water will travel to the rear of the vehicle but I rather get it 100% closed. I've replaced the motor so it had to be a track issue. I rather just get it closed (permanently)

thanks.
Old 05-26-18, 09:23 AM
gs300rx450
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shark13 you are not alone!

Originally Posted by shark13
Yeah I did. I ended up pulling the copper tube from the rest of the unit...evening straightening it to remove any kinks and still nothing. I have sprayed WD-40, PB Blaster and let them both sit...and nothing. I have no idea what is keeping it stuck at this point.
Identical problem with my '98 GS300....but I cant even get that plastic runner to move at all...cuz its firmly attached to the cable...which i have reason to believe is rusted into the copper tubing (or perhaps into the weld).

Yesterday, I thought you were crazy to remove the entire sunroof....today I suspect I'll have my on the lawn pretty soon.

My end-game will be just to get the arm lowered so I can seal in the glass and remove the motor to avoid anyone ever messing it up!
Old 05-28-18, 02:19 AM
shark13
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand that many here thought it a bit overzealous to dig into the sunroof to that degree but the issue was not with simple track debris. There was I believe significant rusting and buildup inside the tube. This would explain why when I tapped the cable down the tube it eventually got trapped inside.

One piece of information that was never conveyed, and is completely apropos to the situation, is that I live on the wet side of the Big Island. For those who are unfamiliar with the degree of rain we get, it makes Seattle, WA look like Phoenix, AZ. A typical year is around 180 inches (that's not a typo) a year of rain. It corrodes, destroys, rusts, tarnishes, mildews, etc everything in site. It's the downside and the blessing to living in a rainforest jungle. That and the volcanoes which I have gotten national news of late.

I believe rain, even trace amounts over an extended period, was getting into that side of the track and rusting out the inside. It's probably not a situation most would have to deal with but such is life in Hilo. Perhaps silicone grease may have helped but in the end anything left outside is eventually taken by the rain.