RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 remote programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 09:29 AM
dsaeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX300 remote programming

I recently bought a pre-owned 1999 RX300 and got a good working master key with remote keyless entry working. I also have another key with remote where the key work just fine, but the remote entry does not work. I bought a used good condition remote with key on ebay to replace the non-working remote. I saw a lot of information in this forum about the reprogramming procedures for keys and remotes but did not got a clear course of action for my specific problem.

My question is that how I program the new remote to work with my good key. Should I remove the body of the new remote and replace it with non-working remote in good key. Is that going to screw-up the functionality of the good key and I may need to program the key also. I am sort of reluctant to go and start progamming these things and may loose the functionality which already exist.

I saw a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum. Could some body help me with this one. Thank you.

Last edited by dsaeed; 12-11-03 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 02:59 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dsa,

Sounds like you have the right idea. From what you said, I gather you have a remote key with remote not working and a second key you bought with a good remote but unusable key from another vehicle.

If that is the case, you can program the remote you bought to operate the remote entry and use the key with the broken remote to start the vehicle.

Now, you imply you would like to make this nice and clean by combining the good "electronic" parts from one and the key from the other. That may be possible, but you must consider the following.

There are 2 different systems (each requiring its own programming) that you need to deal with if you try to combine parts. I have not combined parts myself, however, there are the remote electronics in the plastic key handle and secondly there is the transponder chip that operated the immobilizer system.

If you change the entire plastic package with all the parts, you will be removing the working transponder and replacing it with another transponder chip from the remote you bought. Transponder can be programmed also. So once you open up the keys and determine if you can swap the cut key and electronics package, then you will have 2 programming sequences to go through. Good luck. More info, see "key programming."

Last edited by ederny; 12-21-03 at 06:04 PM.