RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DIY Invidia Cat back install complete

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 05:10 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY Invidia Cat back install complete

As some of you know I decided to install my exhaust on my own. Didn’t take a bunch of pics because I was working alone but i’ll Off some advice for those seeking to do it.

-the braces underneath are a pain. Expect to break a few pop tabs. Maybe have extra on hand

-I used two SUV floor jack stands for extra height with a floor jack and ramps. I’m a skinny dude and still had to lift the front more off the ramp to get in there

- O2 sensors.. might as well grab them before you do this. I ended up disconnecting and fishing two new Bosch ones in. $103 each.

- it would’ve helped to have another hand in those, but I used the fold down seats from our old gx470 to hold the exhaust closer. Worked well.

First impressions are amazing. Neighbors loved it and took the kids for a ride. They love it. It was breaking loose like crazy lol. Burning smell to be expected and I didn’t put all that undercarriage stuff back in yet in case I need to make any adjustments. In all it took me 3 trips to the store and probably 6 hours total, but I did it. First exhaust install! Thanks everyone.

Rolla.. do you experience slight rasp when over 5-7k rpm? I may need to go back under and tighten up but it doesn’t respond like there is a leak it’s great!
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (04-08-19)
Old 04-07-19, 06:40 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Good job! 👍
Old 04-07-19, 07:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Good stuff. Not sure why you needed to remove the o2 sensor since the primary cats are untouched. You disconnect aft of the primary cats?

I found the perfect solution to remove carbon build up on the blue titanium tips, which using WD-40 with some paper towel. It cleans it up like a champ and brings back the shine and blue color.

You might want to put the braces and shields back as the shields protect the underbody of the car. I agree, I am getting some scary traction issues. Yesterday, coming off the off-ramp on to the freeway I gunned it in 2nd gear around 50 mph and the rear end violently was going side to side as I went up to redline and into 3rd gear. I did not have this issue before. My tires are down to 40% in the rear so suddenly after the exhaust, I am having traction issues.

I agree on the sound. It is amazing. Very smooth and snarly. I love the snariling noise it makes as the throttle changes during part-throttle acceleration. Maybe, I have not driven it enough yet to see if any rasp appears nearly redline, but I did not notice any rasp going past 7000+ rpm. From my observation, there is some rasp at cold starts, but as the revs rise it becomes smoother in its tone and more higher pitched. I need to drive it more to see if I notice anything.
Old 04-08-19, 04:54 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Good stuff. Not sure why you needed to remove the o2 sensor since the primary cats are untouched. You disconnect aft of the primary cats?

I found the perfect solution to remove carbon build up on the blue titanium tips, which using WD-40 with some paper towel. It cleans it up like a champ and brings back the shine and blue color.

You might want to put the braces and shields back as the shields protect the underbody of the car. I agree, I am getting some scary traction issues. Yesterday, coming off the off-ramp on to the freeway I gunned it in 2nd gear around 50 mph and the rear end violently was going side to side as I went up to redline and into 3rd gear. I did not have this issue before. My tires are down to 40% in the rear so suddenly after the exhaust, I am having traction issues.

I agree on the sound. It is amazing. Very smooth and snarly. I love the snariling noise it makes as the throttle changes during part-throttle acceleration. Maybe, I have not driven it enough yet to see if any rasp appears nearly redline, but I did not notice any rasp going past 7000+ rpm. From my observation, there is some rasp at cold starts, but as the revs rise it becomes smoother in its tone and more higher pitched. I need to drive it more to see if I notice anything.

correct you disconnect aft of the primary cats, but on my car at least there are o2 sensors directly behind the primaries on the mid pipe. Anyway they were seized up and the time saved getting new ones rather than mangling the old ones and cursing was worth it. May it’s a US emissions thing? Idk

also the first time I took it out I gunned it from a light., I know I hit the shift button but it stayed in first all way the while breaking traction while redlining until it finally recognized my shift command. I know I lost some power up in these mountains from Florida, but it feels so much more responsive now.

Im going to put the pieces back on, but like I said above, I have horrible luck with some of those fasteners and it’s about an hour to go to a dealer who only might have some. They didn’t even have an RC F for sale.. lol Plus I think I am going to go back in probably tomorrow after I’ve put some miles on it and check torque/ tighten
Old 04-08-19, 05:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Congrats!!! Enjoy!!

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
correct you disconnect aft of the primary cats, but on my car at least there are o2 sensors directly behind the primaries on the mid pipe. Anyway they were seized up and the time saved getting new ones rather than mangling the old ones and cursing was worth it. May it’s a US emissions thing? Idk

also the first time I took it out I gunned it from a light., I know I hit the shift button but it stayed in first all way the while breaking traction while redlining until it finally recognized my shift command. I know I lost some power up in these mountains from Florida, but it feels so much more responsive now.

Im going to put the pieces back on, but like I said above, I have horrible luck with some of those fasteners and it’s about an hour to go to a dealer who only might have some. They didn’t even have an RC F for sale.. lol Plus I think I am going to go back in probably tomorrow after I’ve put some miles on it and check torque/ tighten
Old 04-08-19, 07:26 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Not sure if I catch that, but you are saying you sense some loss of power? It should not happen. It should feel significantly more powerful from 4000+ rpm up to redline. It gets to redline so quickly now. Maybe, I am not reading it correctly.
Old 04-08-19, 09:02 AM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure if I catch that, but you are saying you sense some loss of power? It should not happen. It should feel significantly more powerful from 4000+ rpm up to redline. It gets to redline so quickly now. Maybe, I am not reading it correctly.
Think he's implying the lost of power due to elevation change from Florida to Utah.

OP,
the rasp is probably a leak, I had a rasp and when i went under all looked and felt tight but still tighten a little more on every bolt and no more rasp (was hearing it on passenger side near where it connects to the stock manifold) but it didn't feel loose but the bolts did turn a bit more. Glad you were able to install without hurting yourself.

Last edited by tuscani66; 04-08-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 09:07 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by tuscani66
Think he's implying the lost of power due to elevation change from Florida to Utah.
Correct

and rolla, I looked at your video again, you have the downstream o2 sensors as well, yours either weren’t seized like mine or they had better tools.
Old 04-08-19, 09:13 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Looks like I completed a drive cycle..threw a CEL, and I’m sure it’s just a leak. Was I supposed to reuse the oem gaskets from the cat to the midpipe? And on that midpipe to muffler connection that huge gasket where the spring bolts are, does it close completely? Seems like those gaskets leave quite a gap
Old 04-08-19, 09:28 AM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like I completed a drive cycle..threw a CEL, and I’m sure it’s just a leak. Was I supposed to reuse the oem gaskets from the cat to the midpipe? And on that midpipe to muffler connection that huge gasket where the spring bolts are, does it close completely? Seems like those gaskets leave quite a gap
Provided the OEM gaskets are still good, yes, was supposed to reuse gasket between OEM manifold and new mid-pipe connection. The OEM gasket is very robust, unless its pinched damaged, it can be reused no problem.
Old 04-08-19, 09:32 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Welp, probably the reason for the CEL. Especially since that is right before the downstream o2 sensor.
Old 04-08-19, 11:02 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Nice, neighbors approval!

Probably just need to tighten some bolts.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-08-19, 03:50 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by tuscani66

OP,
the rasp is probably a leak, I had a rasp and when i went under all looked and felt tight but still tighten a little more on every bolt and no more rasp (was hearing it on passenger side near where it connects to the stock manifold) but it didn't feel loose but the bolts did turn a bit more. Glad you were able to install without hurting yourself.
Thanks. No I didn't hurt my back, but a few busted knuckles and blood on my exhaust pipes. I left it there as a sign of my sacrifice lol, and yea I figured I could probably go another turn on most of them, especially since I was propping it up to bolt it in.
Old 03-19-20, 07:04 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I have what I hope is a dumb question. I am installing an Invidia cat back exhaust on my 2015 RCF and started removing the factory exhaust. How do you unplug the O2 sensor wiring to remove them from the factory exhaust so that you can unscrew them? There is a rubber boot that is easily removed, but the wire itself goes into the cabin and I can't find any directions online to where that goes. I saw that you replaced your sensors, so hoping you can tell me where the wiring goes.
Old 03-19-20, 07:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^You need an o2 simulator removal tool:

Amazon Amazon

Lou

Quick Reply: DIY Invidia Cat back install complete