RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Swapped for OEM JDM red stitched shifter and boot! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 05:59 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Swapped for OEM JDM red stitched shifter and boot! *PICS*

So I always hated that I have red interior with blue/white stitched shifter, boot, and wheel. Well I finally got around to swapping out the shifter and boot with OEM parts! If anyone else is interested it was very easy to install and I am a novice at car work. All it took was to take out the center console and unscrew the boot, swap boots, swap cores with a zip tie, and you're done! Only hiccup is that the opening for the red stitched boot isn't big enough for RCF one so you'll have to mess with it a little to get it right. Total install time was 30 mins! Below I will link where I got the boot, shifter, and the video I found to install! Enjoy!

Red stitched boot - $43
https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

Red stitched shifter - $100
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GSF-RCF-GS350-GS450h-F-Sport-Shift-****-Red-Black-Chrome-Gear-Shifter-OEM/232753185425?hash=item36312bc291:g:1TIAAOSwDrlZe5g

Install video

Last edited by mjn88; 05-12-18 at 08:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjn88:
ChrisRCF (05-02-19), Mingofish (05-12-18)
Old 05-12-18, 08:16 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks very clean! Definitely something I'll be doing in the near future
Old 05-13-18, 06:04 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Turned out great. I agree that the blue stitching is wrong when you have red interior. It was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my car. I don't think I will change it though.
Old 05-13-18, 09:13 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

lmao nice, was wondering when someone would be upset with the blue stitching hahahaha
Old 05-13-18, 10:56 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
lmao nice, was wondering when someone would be upset with the blue stitching hahahaha
OMG!! After reading, I had to go out and look inside my car!
Never noticed this horrible color difference!!!! How will I be able to drive my car until I get this fixed? And I thought I always paid attention to details!

Or... How much bourbon can $143 get me to relieve me of my pain, and not think of this again!
Or... Maybe I can just dye these threads red?
Or... One of the benefits of me being color blind is that I don't really notice this that much!
Old 05-13-18, 11:35 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
OMG!! After reading, I had to go out and look inside my car!
Never noticed this horrible color difference!!!! How will I be able to drive my car until I get this fixed? And I thought I always paid attention to details!

Or... How much bourbon can $143 get me to relieve me of my pain, and not think of this again!
Or... Maybe I can just dye these threads red?
Or... One of the benefits of me being color blind is that I don't really notice this that much!
what color interior you have
Old 05-13-18, 11:41 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
what color interior you have
Red. Think it looks nice!
Old 05-13-18, 12:23 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice! I have the exact shifter on the way, I ordered it from a seller in Japan on ebay and its been about 3 weeks so far. I'll probably need to order the shift boot too. I have red stitching and perforated leather on my dctms steering wheel so it should match nice.
The following users liked this post:
mjn88 (05-13-18)
Old 05-15-18, 07:10 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

You must have telepathic abilities man! Looks great buddy!

Been torn on this matter for months now, but have struck out in several places (Bulletproof) which is a desirable piece IMHO, and is a shame that they have such a bad reputation on delivery of it!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...hift-****.html

However, I have both the Circuit Red Interior WITH the USB Exterior, but concur w you on Red matching a bit better. Why in the world cant we find more options - Guess Im used to seeing tons of Carbon Fiber Companies who make stuff for Motorcycles. (SIGH)
At least the CF Overlay for my entire console is on the way!
Old 05-17-18, 07:16 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question Hard TIme Fidning Products

Since there is so few choices on truly Classy Looking Shift ***** (Other than your own I mean) I have been looking everywhere for other alternatives! Anyone tried these from Momo?

https://www.momo.com/en-us/product/combat-evo-us/
https://www.momo.com/en-us/product/shadow/

Being a Combat Vet, Im partial to the first one........

Also, those who've gone with the Alacantra type Shift Boot - Does that sort of material seem to collect more dust and particles over regular leather material? Would nicely match the Arm rests within the car-don't you think?

(Cannot locate any aftermarket links for those)
Old 05-19-18, 12:42 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Since there is so few choices on truly Classy Looking Shift ***** (Other than your own I mean) I have been looking everywhere for other alternatives! Anyone tried these from Momo?

https://www.momo.com/en-us/product/combat-evo-us/
https://www.momo.com/en-us/product/shadow/

Being a Combat Vet, Im partial to the first one........

Also, those who've gone with the Alacantra type Shift Boot - Does that sort of material seem to collect more dust and particles over regular leather material? Would nicely match the Arm rests within the car-don't you think?

(Cannot locate any aftermarket links for those)
I don't know about those shifters but the RCF shifter has a core that you need to swap in order to make the swap successful.
Old 05-19-18, 09:20 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Lost me

Originally Posted by mjn88
I don't know about those shifters but the RCF shifter has a core that you need to swap in order to make the swap successful.
Please explain. It was my belief you could simply just spin off the Old OEM Shifter, and screw on a new one? I DID happen to see several aftermarket products including other pieces to "adapt" the shaft pieces, and tiny allen screws to tighten it down.
Old 05-19-18, 06:30 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Please explain. It was my belief you could simply just spin off the Old OEM Shifter, and screw on a new one? I DID happen to see several aftermarket products including other pieces to "adapt" the shaft pieces, and tiny allen screws to tighten it down.
They spin off but if you want it to be flush you’re going to have to do some custom work. All the new Lexus shifters have a core in the middle that attach through the middle of the shift boot. Hard to explain but if you just pull shift boot down from the shifter it will detach and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
Old 05-19-18, 06:58 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by mjn88

They spin off but if you want it to be flush you’re going to have to do some custom work. All the new Lexus shifters have a core in the middle that attach through the middle of the shift boot. Hard to explain but if you just pull shift boot down from the shifter it will detach and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
Good gouge, thanks!
What really baffles the hell outta me is that there are so few choices to select from when it comes to aftermarket Shift *****. The one from Bulletproof Auto is hot, but nearly non existent. Where on this green earth can I find something hot w Carbon Fiber to replace then? Please share as many others as possible. I'm getting ready to put on my Hurst Shift Handle from my 80s Z28!
Old 05-02-19, 07:42 AM
mage3tb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@mjn88 Do you have the part number for the shifter? The listing you posted to is sold out and they do not have a PN in the description. Thanks!