LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Levoc Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-03, 11:19 AM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Levoc Shifter

This should end all of the discussion on installing a Levoc shifter on a 90-94 LS 400. I installed one this weekend and it could not have been easier. It took about an hour and now that I have done one I could probably do it in 30 minutes. It works perfectly.
You have to do a little adjusting on the height of the shifter to make sure it shifts into all gears and into park with the ignition turned off, but it only took a minute or two to fine tune. I installed the wood, and while the grain is the same, the color is a little browner, but it is not that noticeable. So, for all of you out there that was told it would take 2 hours and you would have to unplug the shift linkage from the transmission it would seem that there are some less than honest shops out there, so order one and install it your self.
Old 01-20-03, 12:42 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Excellent!

Glad the shifter install was so easy. Where did you get it? Do you have any pics so we can check it out?

Thanks,

GA400
Old 01-20-03, 12:57 PM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

No pictures unfortunatly. I bought it at www.southwestautoworks.com for $89.99 plus shipping. If you decide to get one let me know
Old 01-21-03, 12:17 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Default Re: Levoc Shifter

Originally posted by wilbcol
This should end all of the discussion on installing a Levoc shifter on a 90-94 LS 400. I installed one this weekend and it could not have been easier. It took about an hour and now that I have done one I could probably do it in 30 minutes. It works perfectly.
You have to do a little adjusting on the height of the shifter to make sure it shifts into all gears and into park with the ignition turned off, but it only took a minute or two to fine tune. I installed the wood, and while the grain is the same, the color is a little browner, but it is not that noticeable. So, for all of you out there that was told it would take 2 hours and you would have to unplug the shift linkage from the transmission it would seem that there are some less than honest shops out there, so order one and install it your self.
what is the purpose of product? on the website all i see is nissan parts...
Old 01-21-03, 11:01 AM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

The Levoc LV 453 is a universal fit, it is designed to fit Nissan or Toyota (Lexus). That web site just had the cheepest price, about $20 to $30 dollars less.
Old 01-21-03, 01:32 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

so what is the purpose of it?
Old 01-21-03, 03:58 PM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

It is a replacement shift lever for the automatic transmission with overdrive button. You may use it to replace worn shift levers or to dress up the interior with something new. There have been many posting on this board about replacing the stock shifter and woudl the Levoc work in a LS 400
Old 01-22-03, 12:50 AM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

I tried this but the shiftknob would cost me around $500 with installation. maybe those guys were trying to trick me...so I never went for it. this is what it would look like.
Attached Thumbnails Levoc Shifter-levoc-shifter.jpg  
Old 01-22-03, 02:24 AM
Lvangundy

Here for 87.99

There's a problem with this though.. 1990-1992 have the O/D on the front of the shifter. 1993 + is on the side..

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=888

:eek:

Last edited by Lvangundy; 01-22-03 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 10:08 AM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

The picture is of the shifter I installed, only mine is a right hand drive version. As for the 90-92 with the O/D button on the back of the shifter, it does not matter. You have to cut the wires to the button and splice into new shifter. As I said in my earlier post, this is an easy upgrade, almost anyone can do it.
Old 01-25-03, 01:28 AM
AussieLs400
Driver School Candidate

Default Interior

Fusi0n I also have a right hand drive Ls400 and was wondering where you got the wood grain surround for your stereo system. I have been looking for one. any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-03, 11:11 AM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

I had a wood grain face plate made for my stereo install. Mike at ALKA Plus made mine. www.alkaplus.com. He did a great job. But you will have to make some kind of backing plate, the wood grain is flexable stick on. I had mine made out of aluminum and attached it to the stock stereo/ac unit bracket. It is solid.
Old 01-29-03, 12:45 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilcob does the Levoc shifter lock in to place in when shifted gears? Say it was in N can it be accidentally knocked into R without pressed the shift ****?

I really wish you had a picture so I can see it.

Last edited by LOTC; 01-29-03 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 01:41 PM
wilbcol
Driver School Candidate

The answer is Yes, it will lock into position. It can not be accidentally shifted into reverse. You will have to fine tune the shifting by raising or lowering the shifter on the shift rod comming out of the transmission. The two screws that secure the factory shifter can not be used on the Levoc. It has three set screws at the base which are tightend against the shift rod locking it into place. This allows the shifter to be raised or lowered. All you have to do is install shifter and shift into drive. Adjust the height until it will not shift into any other gear, except neutral. tighten down the set screw to secure the shifter and enjoy. The picture that is posted could easly double as my interior except right hand drive.
Old 01-29-03, 02:38 PM
Lvangundy

Anyone else have a picture of this installed in a US spec LS?

Or at least another angle?

The shifter seems really tall and the wood doesn't match.