RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Arriere-Pensee

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 05:30 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Hindsight - Go With 19s!

Anyone heard that word before? I didn't until I Googled "Second Thoughts"....
En-route to an Appt at local VA-hit a major pothole on The Beltway. Immediately toggled to the Small Tire PSI Screen and watched the Right Front slowly decreasing. Luckily, was someway near the Shop which maintains my Cummins. That Bubble was instantly blown when my good friend and owner sprayed soapy water where the Rim was bent. The force drove the lip of Rim into sidewall of tire- thus slashing it enough to push out air, oh excuse me....Nitrogen. Though I've read, and perhaps even commented on Threads here involving the "Lack" of a Spare (even a donut) inside the trunk of our cars - it didn't dawn on me until I lifted up the piece under Trunk Carpet! What a ludicrous decision they made on that..........That Lexus "Fix-A-Flat" wouldn't have worked anyway due to slice, plus one needs to read it for 20 mins before use!.He kindly lent me his Volt to make my Appt (Never driven an electric car until then!) and put the F onto a lift to remove wheels and tires....

Had to get a Lyft home (the payouts begin) and loaded up my Stock Wheels & Tires, Lug Nuts, into my truck for 45 min ride back to garage. Slapped on Stockers and quickly learned I picked up a box filled with my Stock Dodge Ram Lug Nuts instead of Lexus ones. Rather than drive home to find them, I just drove 1 mile to Carquest and bought a new set (payouts continue) Seeing I had a brutal day with this stress, my Owner friend didn't charge me a nickel, even though the F took up a lift for a few hours. Thank God for good friends in life right! Now the truck sits there still with these aftermarket 20s inside it, while I drive around on Stock Wheels & Tires and the blinking TPMS light. Not only must I have the newer sliced and diced Pilot 4S removed for good, the Wheel needs to be inspected to determine if damage is just cosmetic, or wheel not True. (I see $$..

This leads me to the title of my boring Thread. Should I just have gone with a set of Staggered 19s, instead of the Low-Profile 20s I chose? Should I have known this was going to occur at some point. I say......Maybe and Yes! Therefore, I now ruminate on exactly what to do w this Tire/Wheel situation, and how to move forward w potential sale of them ALL, and decision on finding some nice 19s and same Pilots. Guess I'll just ride out the Winter wearing my Stockers and figure this all out soon enough. Needless to say my Blood Pressure was literally off the charts when I arrived at that VA Medical Appt. A friggin Pothole brutally ruined my day!!

** I should add that the Vendor I obtained here in this Forum for these Wheels & Tires from replied to my picture texts immediately on the spot. Not sure exactly what they can do to help ease this pain, but Ive always believed ones true character is shown by how expedient they are at replying to 911 calls.

Now....THAT is a Bubble!

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 03-09-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 07:15 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Ouch sorry to hear that... yes, I totally disagree with no spare tire. As far as 20” on low pro, that’s what I’m running. I also had this same set up on my Audi, that my rims was cracked when I hit a pothole. Who’s the manufacturer of your rims? More than likely you’ll have warranty on it. My vorsteiner have lifetime warranty. Hope you get this fix soon, Gluck.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 07:30 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

That sucks.

If I was going to drive across the country I would consider getting a spare. Since I mostly use my car for day drives I will risk the tow and save the weight.

It could happen to any of us. I have hit rocks and potholes and always thought I would flat but luckily did not.

One of the roads I drive regularly is pretty choppy. 20 years ago the road was perfect. I personally see the roads going down hill here in California. They are literally crumbling and full of pot holes as no one has money to repair them. The infrastructure is falling apart.

I blame the crappy roads.
GunnyFitz (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 09:05 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

20s is a risk. Hell, any low profile tire on a larger (sometimes heavier) wheel is a risk on public roads that are not perfect. Add in the fact that factory wheels are usually heavier because they are stronger and you get the idea. Now, before the moaners appear, yes you can get a stronger and lighter wheel than stock but those cost big money and is usually not what people do aftermarket.

Also - I am sorry about the luck, I'm sure that was stressful.
GunnyFitz (02-28-19)
Old 02-27-19, 09:46 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Just gotta be mindful when you're rolling on low profile tires.

I've heard horror stories on cheaper brand wheels that bend/crack through hitting a pothole. I spent a little extra myself for a set of SSR CV04S so I wouldn't have to deal with these issues as Bay Area roads are pretty rough. I'm also picking another set of cheaper SSR GTX01 for the track which should be able to take a beating
GunnyFitz (02-28-19)
Old 02-27-19, 07:28 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear about your stroke of unfortunate luck...I've had days ruined by blow-outs/flats as well, I know that feeling all too well! Hope you're able to get a speedy resolution!
GunnyFitz (02-28-19)
Old 02-28-19, 08:16 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool

Many thanks to all of you who commented here. I also posted this incident on the RCF Group in Facebook where a TON of people responded, much like here with pics of their own disasters! If you are into Facebook at all, I highly suggest joining the Group there. Lots of people both selling Fs and looking for them too! However, its ONLY for those who own the RC F, not F-Sports etc. (Not my rules) ...Have not done a thing with wheel yet since its still inside my truck at the shop in Lorton. Not in a rush to spend more coin yet. These were supposed to be strong/heavy wheels that could take a beating and keep on ticking, but those of you in this area know that driving I-95 is like a Slalom Course w sinkholes! (Perhaps I should've gotten the Performance Package F with TVD for this eh?) lol....NOT! Love my F and put a lot of money into it.

Thanks again for all the support folks!

Before incident, just after PPF and Ceramic Coating applied......

Old 03-01-19, 06:07 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

@GunnyFitz bro.....atleast your alright my friend. Cars and parts can be replaced.....life and safety itself is precious and priceless.
GunnyFitz (03-18-19)
Old 03-04-19, 04:35 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

For those who went out and bought a Spare, Did you get the "Donut" and will it fit inside the trunk with that Foam the way it is-or were modifications required to fit it? Also, has anyone had to use that Lexus Branded Fix-A-Flat kit for a punctured tire? I'm curious if that gunk is any better than the stuff in the cans sold all over the place? Obviously, using that stuff was out for me due to the damage being on the sidewall / lip of tire! One of these days I need to find a local shop to remove tire and inspect the wheel for structural damage....;(
Old 03-04-19, 08:46 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
For those who went out and bought a Spare, Did you get the "Donut" and will it fit inside the trunk with that Foam the way it is-or were modifications required to fit it? Also, has anyone had to use that Lexus Branded Fix-A-Flat kit for a punctured tire? I'm curious if that gunk is any better than the stuff in the cans sold all over the place? Obviously, using that stuff was out for me due to the damage being on the sidewall / lip of tire! One of these days I need to find a local shop to remove tire and inspect the wheel for structural damage....;(
I imagine you already read the previous spare tire thread. If not, some good info in HERE. One owner was able to get a donut from a Audi work. He had to use a spacer, but it fit in the trunk under the carpet.

GunnyFitz (03-04-19)
Old 03-04-19, 09:04 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I tried a GS350 F Sport 145/70/18 spare. It didn't clear the large front brake even with 1" spacer. I purchased a 19x8.5 wheel with 255/35/19 tire from Discount Tire Direct. I stored the wheel face down for more trunk space.
GunnyFitz (03-04-19)
Old 03-09-19, 02:37 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Should've Stayed w 19s!

Well, looks as if I'll have to buy a whole new Wheel and Tire to replace this disaster. May even look to sell the entire set of these 20s and look for a set of 19s now too!

Not a happy RCF Owner right meow! Not at all...

*Anyone w some serious hookups on Tire/Wheels please PM (Not DM) me some info. Thanks. 🇺🇸
Old 03-09-19, 05:10 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

This is just my advice...and believe me no one listens to my advice...just ask my kids or my wife or my first wife.

Anyway.

Those are some great looking rims. If it were me, I would just buy a new matching rim and tire and move on.
GunnyFitz (03-11-19)
Old 03-12-19, 06:13 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm surprised that a rim repair shop cant straighten it out. I have been shocked at the type of damage rims have and had been repaired.
GunnyFitz (03-18-19)
Old 03-12-19, 08:07 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the Northern VA area as well. I've seen potholes my Tacoma wouldn't escape unscathed, let alone the F. I wanna know where the hell my gas tax is going, because it sure isn't the roads.
Lammyyy (03-16-19)

Quick Reply: Arriere-Pensee