Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 Shifter Extension Play after BC parts install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 08:03 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default R154 Shifter Extension Play after BC parts install

After converting my swap, I notice the shifter still has alot of play in 1st and third gear, even after the MC bushing and washer replacement. I extended the shifter that is a swan style exactly four inches from center to center. This is getting annoying very quickly. Sometimes it also doesn't want to go into 1st gear all the time. I have to hold the shifter into place, most of the time in only 1st gear. The final thing that I think is bad or worn out is the actual ball on the shifter itself. I am wondering if the shifter itself or spring or plate is going bad.

Is anyone having the same issue?

Is there a fix for this?

Is there something that I am doing wrong on install?
Old 06-09-12, 06:41 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read about this a few times and it has me leaning towards maybe doing the Nissan 6 speed swap when I blow up my w58.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-of-first-gear
Old 06-09-12, 07:25 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thats a good write up for that particular problem. I am leaning more of shifter play even after the replacing of the bushings. I will try and post a video of the actual play by Monday. I am out of town at the moment. The video will make more sense of it. I am thinking that maybe the top plate is maybe not in the correct posistion,but by moving it, the holes may not line up to tighten down. I am still think the ball on the shifter itself is worn. Anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks for the link.
Old 06-09-12, 11:39 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you still running the custom shifter then? I thought we suggested that maybe when the shifter was cut and modded, they may not have gotten the angles or lengths exactly right. I still recommend a factory soarer extension and housing.
Old 06-09-12, 11:59 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I am still running the shifter extension. I will take more detailed pictures of the extension and such , maybe on Monday. I am looking for a R154 Soarer extension right now in the classifieds. So far no hits or replies. I did find one on the supra forums but it was already sold.

After the problems that others seems to have is NOT exaclty mine, tho it might be the same problem. Mine is not slipping out of gear in any gear. Mine just sometimes is hard to find 1st gear/ and still has excessive shaft play in the shifter after the BC parts installed, and thats all. If Ihold the shifter in place, it does work 100%. Mine also doesnt do this every single time in first gear, just sometimes. If it isnt all the way in, and I let the clutch out, it starts to grind the gears. I am still leaning towards the ball on the shifter is wore. I wanted to post up if anyone else has had any similar issues.

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 06-09-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 12:48 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I gotcha. Were you able to look at the ***** engagement into the cup and see the freeplay?
Old 06-09-12, 12:54 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

If you are talking about the top of the shifter plate, it does have about 1/8" play all the way around. This is the part where the shifter comes through the mounting plate on top with four 10mm bolts that secures it in place. I might pull it out again when I get home and see if I can weld some metal around it, then grind it down for a secure snug fit. This idea still might not help all the movement.
Old 06-09-12, 12:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I was actually talking about the ball on the end of the shifter. The part that physically plugs into the plastic bushing in the actuator arm. Even so, if you have play at the retainer flange as well, then it is very possible it will affect shift quality.