congrats man, welcome to the dark side lolz seen your post in GTRlife also

Thanks bro the pics of the GTR don't do the car justice, pure sex on wheels
Old 03-22-18, 10:00 PM
NodOff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Hello mates.

Well, when I was shopping for a car before getting the RC-F, I had been considering a GT-R at that time as well.
However, I was really sour from just missing that huge 20K off promotion going on in 2015. I also got a chance to test drive a 2009 with fairly high miles, and I really didn't like it other than just the speed.

Anyway, I decided to lease the RC-F for the business deduction and because I felt it was bit risky with a car that seemed so unpopular. I did initially lease with the intention to keep.
However, with some RC-Fs already right at 40K, I feel like it isn't going to make financial sense to buy out the lease when it is finishes in 1 year.

So, I have really mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it seems like it won't be worth the buyout price, but considering that my car will only have between 14-15K miles, what else could I possibly get that would be better at 40K USD with less than 15K miles?
This is what has gotten me thinking about the GT-R.

I would love to hear from someone that has maybe had both at one time or another.
Let me also tell you what I don't like about the RC-F:

1. I absolutely hate the transmission. Before having this car, it never occurred to me that shifting in manual mode would require sequential downshifts one gear at a time when I want to go quickly from say 6, 7, or 8 to 3 or 4 and tap the paddles 3 or 4 times rapidly.
2. I would like just a bit more performance. I would like to be slammed in the seat just a little.
3. I don't particularly care for the grill, even now, but more than that, I don't really like the nose angle. It looks a little too snub-nosed when looking at the car from the side.

Despite these things, this is the most satisfied I have been with a car up to this point.
I am worried that if I try to pursue a bit more performance, I am going to lose more refinement than I would gain in performance.

Hmm.........
Have you considered a 2017/2018 Camaro ZL1, or a 2017 Audi TTRS? Both would be in the $60-70k ballpark, would be pretty substantial upgrades to the RC F, and are cheaper to own/maintain than the GTR. Just some additional options to consider.
Old 03-23-18, 04:29 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats man, can’t go wrong with the GT-R the best platform to stay stock, or go crazy with power for the price.
Old 03-25-18, 11:52 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, 40 mph in 2nd gear is where really the magic happens while shifting right close to the limiter. Before you realize, it is up to 120 - 130 mph and start thinking about a cop trapping at that speeds(I do not have a radar detector). Many times, there is a car in the very far distance on the freeway and then suddenly you are getting very close to that car and have to slow down quickly.
I just got a 14 CLS550 for a daily. I will post a review later, but for now its very interesting to compare the two V8s and their power delivery. The low end torque on the CLS is breathtaking, but so is the high end ferocity of the RCF. Ther Mercs powerband is more like big block American V8s while the RCF's is more like a high strung V6 ala VQ but hella smoother. Wringing it out is part of the reward.
Old 03-25-18, 02:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I just got a 14 CLS550 for a daily. I will post a review later, but for now its very interesting to compare the two V8s and their power delivery. The low end torque on the CLS is breathtaking, but so is the high end ferocity of the RCF. Ther Mercs powerband is more like big block American V8s while the RCF's is more like a high strung V6 ala VQ but hella smoother. Wringing it out is part of the reward.
I have driven the older N/A VQ35HR in the G35 sedan (with 6 speed manual) and it was quite a thrashy, buzzy and unhappy to rev engine. You had to be very deliberate in wanting to go past 6500 rpm in it. I also have driven the 5.4 Liter V8 from AMG (with 7 speed auto) in my boss' SLK55 AMG and it did feel like it had all of its torque very early, but was out to lunch by the time you hit the 6600 rpm rev limiter.

The closest experience I liken the RCF V8 is to the S65 M3 V8. Both engines seem to have almost no internal inertia as they rev very freely to the rev limiter. Revs rise and drop very freely. I hit the rev limiter quite a bit in 1st and 2nd because coming from a high-revving engine, I am very used to letting the engine fully rev out as it is pulling hard. I see in many videos, RCF being shifted around 6900 - 7000 rpm when the peak HP does not arrive till 7100 rpm while making 90% of the peak torque.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-25-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 07:23 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NodOff
Have you considered a 2017/2018 Camaro ZL1, or a 2017 Audi TTRS? Both would be in the $60-70k ballpark, would be pretty substantial upgrades to the RC F, and are cheaper to own/maintain than the GTR. Just some additional options to consider.
I don't about the TT specifically, but Audi certainly has been in the back of my mind lately.
I just wish I could feel confident about buying and using one regarding reliability.

American muscle is probably not an option. Maybe a Ford, if they could step up on build quality.
Old 03-25-18, 08:26 PM
NodOff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't about the TT specifically, but Audi certainly has been in the back of my mind lately.
I just wish I could feel confident about buying and using one regarding reliability.

American muscle is probably not an option. Maybe a Ford, if they could step up on build quality.
The 2.5l 5cylinder in the TTRS is pretty bullet proof, and coupled with the AWD it has, ties the GTR in 1/4 mile times stock. It also easily handles tunes and upgrades from companies like APR, which can bring it into the 2.9s 0-60 range relativily cheap, and APR was hitting into the high 9s with their stage 3 kit on the 2012-2013 TT RS. I also tend to think that it has a much nicer interior than the GTR, and has lower maintenance costs overall.

The Camaro ZL1 is super/hyper car territory for about $60k, especially with the 1le pack. Check out the track times for it, and it sits among cars 5-20x it's price tag. It also has an interior that's a very nice place to be, and also better than the GTR imo.

Just food for thought.
Old 03-26-18, 04:48 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL on Ford stepping up their build quality. It’s exactly the same today as it was back in 2012 when I bought their garbage.