RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F to GT-R maybe?

Old 02-27-18, 05:58 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RC-F to GT-R maybe?

Hello mates.

Well, when I was shopping for a car before getting the RC-F, I had been considering a GT-R at that time as well.
However, I was really sour from just missing that huge 20K off promotion going on in 2015. I also got a chance to test drive a 2009 with fairly high miles, and I really didn't like it other than just the speed.

Anyway, I decided to lease the RC-F for the business deduction and because I felt it was bit risky with a car that seemed so unpopular. I did initially lease with the intention to keep.
However, with some RC-Fs already right at 40K, I feel like it isn't going to make financial sense to buy out the lease when it is finishes in 1 year.

So, I have really mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it seems like it won't be worth the buyout price, but considering that my car will only have between 14-15K miles, what else could I possibly get that would be better at 40K USD with less than 15K miles?
This is what has gotten me thinking about the GT-R.

I would love to hear from someone that has maybe had both at one time or another.
Let me also tell you what I don't like about the RC-F:

1. I absolutely hate the transmission. Before having this car, it never occurred to me that shifting in manual mode would require sequential downshifts one gear at a time when I want to go quickly from say 6, 7, or 8 to 3 or 4 and tap the paddles 3 or 4 times rapidly.
2. I would like just a bit more performance. I would like to be slammed in the seat just a little.
3. I don't particularly care for the grill, even now, but more than that, I don't really like the nose angle. It looks a little too snub-nosed when looking at the car from the side.

Despite these things, this is the most satisfied I have been with a car up to this point.
I am worried that if I try to pursue a bit more performance, I am going to lose more refinement than I would gain in performance.

Hmm.........
Old 02-27-18, 06:26 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

I own isf and gtr , gtr is totallly different class , it’s unlimted potential to mods and very expensive , the awd power it’s ridiculous , FBO and flex fuel are the basic and giving u 650 ish whp . The 2015 and up refined , majors changed. Good luck and happy modding . My isf is also fbo with tuned pushing 420 whp and daily drive .
Old 02-27-18, 08:22 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

From a detailers point of view, if you want speed then get the GTR. I detail a lot of GTRS and know every crevice of the car. The interior is not as close as the RCF but performance wise, GTR is on another level.
Old 02-27-18, 11:11 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Have u seen 2015 and up? All recardo and up grade interior alcantara,2017 lots of interior changes . Not to mention the 2018 ,
Old 02-28-18, 06:05 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Have u seen 2015 and up? All recardo and up grade interior alcantara,2017 lots of interior changes . Not to mention the 2018 ,
Yea, they're well over $100k also. Think OP is trying to stay in the $40-$50k range, which GTR wise, would put him in a 2010-2011, MAYBE a high mileage 2012.

V.
Old 02-28-18, 08:06 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Your biggest concern is the transmission in pre 2012 GTR's. I've owned one for years. If you do a lot of driving like I do, the interior will be the part you'll dislike the most after having a Lexus. It just feels more plastic...rattles and squeaks a little more, although not TOO terribly bad. As for mods, you the sky is the limit as your wallet will allow. The acceleration is insane and you could suffer from a permanent grin on your face. I'll add it's the ONLY car (sports car) I've owned that mustangs didn't try and constantly race me. Like ISF4life said, look at the newer models, the updated interiors are worth the extra expense if you can go that route.
Old 02-28-18, 08:12 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
I am worried that if I try to pursue a bit more performance, I am going to lose more refinement than I would gain in performance.
As of currently, there is always a trade-off, unfortunately. I will start off that I like both the RC F and the GTR. GTR is more a drag-strip/track sports car and RCF is more a luxury grand touring sports car.

For the GTR in your price range that you are looking at (and IMO)...

GTR Pros:
  • Much more performance (power, handling, traction..etc).
  • Much more power increase potential out of the box.
  • Great looking car out of the box (and even better once modified tastefully).
GTR Cons:
  • Reduced reliability long-term (especially if modded).
  • Reduced ride comfort (stock for stock comparison).
  • Reduced interior quality fit and finish.
  • Older tech (GPS, stereo, etc)...but not sure all mod options so this may be negligible.
Old 02-28-18, 09:21 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

lolz , i always tell those guys lolz , y not have both lolz akkkakakkak, u only live once , one is enough , in my case its easier i got to have a fun ISF 4 doors daily and GTR for weekend , not sure if u want 2 doors for both if u do go with GTR just do FBO and flex fuel , once u started to go crazy on the power band , u got to fork out lot of $ to up grade things. Power=cost money , transmission up grade, pistons, rods, bigger turbo , ect...
Old 02-28-18, 10:26 AM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry for the confusion.
I'm not trying to stay at 40-50K.
I wouldn't bother trying to look for a gt-r that low.

I was just trying to make the point that even though my buyout price will be 40k, and it appears that this 40k will be too high, there still doesn't really seem like there would be anything better used at around 40k with less than 15k miles.

Thus, I have been considering an upgrade, meaning more money than 40k.

If the values of rcf haven't tanked like they have the last few months, I probably wouldn't be thinking about this right now.

At any rate, the changes to the 2017 gt-r are what has me considering the car again.
Any suggestions that would be an upgrade, either in performance or refinement, to the rcf are also welcome.
Old 02-28-18, 10:40 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
If the values of rcf haven't tanked like they have the last few months, I probably wouldn't be thinking about this right now.
I am not sure about every single Lexus model but for most models that I see, it looks like greatest depreciation is within the first 3 years. After that, the value holds pretty well. Correct me if I am wrong here.

If you want a new GTR, get it. If not, don't. I would suggest hitting a dealership and test driving (more than one visit) some newer year models of the GTR. Pretty sure you have the general data for what to expect, just need to experience it first hand for yourself.
Old 02-28-18, 12:18 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

2017 gtr , be prepare to pay at least 80k ish , IMHIK
Old 02-28-18, 01:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

There are many leftover 2016 and 2017 new GTR that can be had for 80K, I was offered one.

but if you are looking for best bang for buck and power, pick up a new leftover hellcat for low low 50. It will throw you back at any speeds
Old 02-28-18, 01:44 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

lolz, hellcat vs gtr now eh ? y not throw in Demon too
Old 02-28-18, 02:00 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
lolz, hellcat vs gtr now eh ? y not throw in Demon too
aint spending 100k on no Dodge..
The following 3 users liked this post by ssmoked:
Deanrcf (03-25-18), GunnyFitz (03-23-18), MannyRCF (03-10-18)
Old 02-28-18, 06:18 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it man, i am picking up my 18 GTR tomorrow, just sold my 15 RCF today after 10 months of ownership.

Came from a LS460L and then a IS-F to RC 300 to a RCF, had the last 3 for a little under 2 years.

RC-F was amazing just time to upgrade.

Last edited by MannyRCF; 03-10-18 at 09:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC-F to GT-R maybe?