RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Replacement Battery Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 10:23 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Ok. After confidently replying a month ago about how I was on the original battery - it has begun its death spiral. Had to jump it yesterday and now I’m not waiting for it to leave me stuck again.

Just like all of you I’ve searched and don’t come up with many options for replacement outside of Lexus which is bizarre. The car does sit for the winter so I think a 3 stage minder for the battery is in order. Better question is what to get now. Optima may work with the minder? I find interstate and Duralast but not with agm tech. People have had mixed results with earth x although we admit they are using the weaker of the offering from them. Nothing from diehard, exige, Bosch or Penn. Some have found sub $200 prices on oem.

thats my thread summary - if I’m missing something let’s put a bow on this thing for all of the others who are and will be searching for a battery soon.
The following users liked this post:
raerae1616 (05-11-23)
Old 03-16-19, 10:48 AM
ds24y
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the Continental US, the battery is covered 100% parts and labor for 4 years or 50k miles. I don't know about Guam.
Old 03-16-19, 11:21 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ds24y
In the Continental US, the battery is covered 100% parts and labor for 4 years or 50k miles. I don't know about Guam.
its a 2015 car if replying to me, time to replace.
Old 03-16-19, 11:32 AM
ds24y
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 years from date of first use, regardless of how many owners.
Old 03-18-19, 06:25 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Quote from local dealer for the OEM is $184 + tax to carry it out. $305 + Tax if they install it
The following users liked this post:
konichiwa3 (03-18-19)
Old 03-24-19, 09:36 AM
r0man123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery is about to die, i went thru all of your comments, then google a bit and found Braille B3121. At 21 pounds its half the weight of OEM, reasonably priced - 240$, Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) - 1380, amphour - 31 . https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b3121 What do you thing about this battery? Safe buy?
Old 03-24-19, 09:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Might want to check out this page 8 and 9 of this thread over in the iSF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/661605-battery-suggestions-8.html

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 03-24-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 05:56 PM
r0man123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
Might want to check out this page 8 and 9 of this thread over in the iSF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/661605-battery-suggestions-8.html

Lou
Thanks, so..
1. Bosch being AGM is still to heavy at 37 puonds
2. Antigravity RS30 is crazy expensive
3. Even smaller Braille 2317 is enough to crank our engines
.. so i guess i made perfect choise
Old 03-26-19, 05:33 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you did your homework. Pls update us on how it fits into the spot.
Old 05-12-19, 09:26 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by r0man123
My battery is about to die, i went thru all of your comments, then google a bit and found Braille B3121. At 21 pounds its half the weight of OEM, reasonably priced - 240$, Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) - 1380, amphour - 31 . https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b3121 What do you thing about this battery? Safe buy?
Any updates on this battery?

My concern with this battery choice is the AH is way too low, 31AH. Stock battery is 70AH. You might easily run into capacity issues. Even on Braille's website in product description there is an advisory on capacity.

The car battery is not solely for starting the engine. At high peak demands with low engine RPM the car's ECU will call in the reserves from the battery.

On the other hand, at sudden sharp alternator output for instance when you get hard on the gas pedal the overwhelmed battery because of low capacity will not effectively smooth out the noisy voltage coming out of your alternator, this will be transmitted to your electronics causing weird abnormalities or potential damage. That is another function of the car battery, to smooth out the spiky alternator voltage.

Having ample battery AH is essential to allow the battery to perform it's secondary functions well especially with all the creature comforts and powered accessories the RCF comes with.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 05-12-19 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 01:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3

My concern with this battery choice is the AH is way too low, 31AH. Stock battery is 70AH. You might easily run into capacity issues. Even on Braille's website in product description there is an advisory on capacity.

The car battery is not solely for starting the engine. At high peak demands with low engine RPM the car's ECU will call in the reserves from the battery.

On the other hand, at sudden sharp alternator output for instance when you get hard on the gas pedal the overwhelmed battery because of low capacity will not effectively smooth out the noisy voltage coming out of your alternator, this will be transmitted to your electronics causing weird abnormalities or potential damage. That is another function of the car battery, to smooth out the spiky alternator voltage.

Having ample battery AH is essential to allow the battery to perform it's secondary functions well especially with all the creature comforts and powered accessories the RCF comes with.
You would be amazed at all the things the OEMs do to protect the computers from bad power including hooking up the battery wrong way round. The first time I took a look at the analog board in the Supra's ECM, I was really shocked to see all the high wattage diodes they installed to prevent over/under voltage problems and polarity issues. They assume absolutely nothing when it comes to power quality from the car. I've peeked at a few of the newer ones, and they've not abandoned those principles in their design. The smallest of my worries would be a battery issue causing damage to an ECM or ECU.
Old 05-13-19, 03:39 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You would be amazed at all the things the OEMs do to protect the computers from bad power including hooking up the battery wrong way round. The first time I took a look at the analog board in the Supra's ECM, I was really shocked to see all the high wattage diodes they installed to prevent over/under voltage problems and polarity issues. They assume absolutely nothing when it comes to power quality from the car. I've peeked at a few of the newer ones, and they've not abandoned those principles in their design. The smallest of my worries would be a battery issue causing damage to an ECM or ECU.
True. However, I personally wouldn't want to put those safety nets to the test unnecessarily.

Here was my first hand experience with RR racing lithium battery which only has the lead equivalent of 46.8 AH.

At low RPM I would occasionally get power steering abnormality voltage come on my dash. There was just not enough capacity in the battery to supplement the low output from the alternator at low RPM

At normal cruising when I suddenly accelerated the Mark Levinson amp would clip and shut off. The shut down was probably a safety built in to avoid damage to the amp. Evidently battery couldn't efficiently smooth out the sudden surge of noisy voltage coming at it from the alternator which went downstream and adversely affected stereo amp.

Yes thank goodness for the inbuilt protection to the electronics but am not going to push my luck and play Russian Roulette

Moral of the story for me was, don't get easily swayed by CCA, light weight and affordability when it comes to lightweight batteries. AH spec is critical too. The reality is, lightweight batteries get really expensive if you want one that meet or exceeds all OEM requirements. No free lunch here.

Braille battery company does a great job of being transparent and educating the consumer if one cares to carefully read through the details.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 05-13-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 06:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I'd most likely source an RS-30 if I were going super lightweight. 70Ah Pb equivalent, and a little heavier, but they're selling them to the Porsche/Mustang/Charger/Challenger crowd so either they work or their name will be mud on forums in no time.
Old 05-13-19, 06:54 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd most likely source an RS-30 if I were going super lightweight. 70Ah Pb equivalent, and a little heavier, but they're selling them to the Porsche/Mustang/Charger/Challenger crowd so either they work or their name will be mud on forums in no time.
Yes, at 70Ah Pb equivalent that's solid.
Old 05-14-19, 12:10 PM
r0man123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by konichiwa3

Never bought it, for the reason you indicated, but in search of other option i found this:

Type: AGM Automotive
Voltage: 12 V
Positive Position Left Hand
CCA @0°F (-18°C 740
CA @32°F (0°C 890
Reserve Capacity: 115 Minutes
Ah: 60
Dimensions (Inches): 10.1" x 6.7" x 7.5"
Dimensions (mm): 257 x 171 x 191
Weight: 35.5 LBS / 16.1 kgms

Not the lightest one but has decent ah and costs 180$, so please everyone feel free to criticise this battery before i do mistake buying it)

Quick Reply: Replacement Battery Suggestions