RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Tire Issue/Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 03:11 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Issue/Question

I have about 16,700 miles on my tires and have taken my RCF to COTA one time, about 10 months ago. That track event killed the outside edge of my front tires and I knew I would need to replace them at some point (they were worn, but fine after the track day). Over the past few months I've been telling myself that I should replace them (inside tread still has 6/32). Well, today I looked down and saw this and am not sure what to do. My rear tires still have 6-7/32 and are in good shape, so I hate the idea of replacing them all with brand new super sports. Would it be a bad idea to find a pair of used 255/35/19's? I found some online advertised as 7.8/32 and only $205 shipped for the pair.

More importantly, how risky/dumb is it to drive on this? I work 5 miles from home and its all side streets (not over 30mph).

Old 01-11-18, 03:36 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

belts showing will lead to a blow out at some point.. best to replace them.

can't answer about used tires, never have and never will purchased tires used. would not ever consider it, especially on a vehicle like the RCF. as they say, you have to pay to play, parts replacement is the inherent risk of tracking a vehicle.
Old 01-11-18, 03:36 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Just replace the front and do the rears later no problem, get a wheel alignment most of these cars wear on the inside tread.
Old 01-11-18, 03:58 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I would not drive on those tires. That's putting you and others on the road at risk. Being a staggered setup, it would be very hard to get to an interval where you do replace all 4 tires at the same time. I know a lot of manufacturer's run promotions for rebates for doing all 4, but that just doesn't work given the staggering. What I have done in the past is replace 2 tires each on 2 different vehicles through America's Tire. I was able to get the 4 tire promotion through that loophole.
Old 01-11-18, 11:26 PM
raneyboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having worked at America's Tire for 4 1/2 years during college, I've seen my fair share of returning customers with blown tires who have been warned to replace their tires when steel belts show. The possibility of damage beyond just a blown tire can be exponential when considering the value of your vehicle. It is just not worth the risk. I recommend getting them replaced ASAP. If you check with your local America's Tire shops, they may carry some used tires still under warranty by the manufacturer against any defects or mileage warranties still valid. I've purchased many used tires while working there, it was just cost effective at their cost, and never had an issue. You can also add insurance to used tires if they meet the requirements(condition, tread life, age of tire). As harkirath mentioned above, if you have insurance on each tire, you can work around a loophole to get those tires with steel belts visible replaced with still plenty of tread life( 6/32nd+) for free. But you didn't hear that from me.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (01-12-18)
Old 01-12-18, 07:18 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by raneyboo
the possibility of damage beyond just a blown tire can be exponential when considering the value of your vehicle. It is just not worth the risk. I recommend getting them replaced asap.
this.........
Old 01-12-18, 08:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Just replace the two fronts with NEW PSS. I would NEVER buy a used tire.

Lou
Old 01-12-18, 01:26 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Well it’s been a day since you posted hope to God you have new tires on the front that thing are you parked at
Old 01-12-18, 02:41 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
I think PSS is now outdated model from Michelin. Not sure they make it in our size yet, but I believe their is a 4S or something like that.
Old 01-12-18, 06:32 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou

This is good advice - but if you plan on tracking your car or driving aggressively, your best bet is to replace all 4 at the same time. Tires have changes in their adherence and driving characteristics as they age. Having 2 fresh tires with 2 others at that mileage will affect the handling (noticeably so in a high performance vehicle) and you may experience some unpleasant surprises. Two is OK on a Prius - but questionable on the RC-F. Gotta pay to play, as it has been said. On the other hand, if all you are doing is commuting and you're not going to be driving the car hard, then saving $ and doing just 2 would be fine.
The following users liked this post:
ISFPOWER (01-13-18)
Old 01-12-18, 06:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by harkirath
I think PSS is now outdated model from Michelin. Not sure they make it in our size yet, but I believe their is a 4S or something like that.
PS4S isnt even a whole lot better than PSS. Slightly longer tread life, better wet traction, but similar dry traction as PSS
Old 01-13-18, 02:48 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My tires are running pretty low. I stepped on it pretty hard in traffic doing about 30mph to get around a car on the freeway, and she bit me. Broke the tires lose and went sideways, but the car did it's job and corrected itself promptly. All I did was gun it, but the tires didn't grip right and I lost her. Tires are key to the RCF, and with any high hp car.

Don't buy used, or your next used could be another car.
Old 01-13-18, 02:55 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
This is good advice - but if you plan on tracking your car or driving aggressively, your best bet is to replace all 4 at the same time. Tires have changes in their adherence and driving characteristics as they age. Having 2 fresh tires with 2 others at that mileage will affect the handling (noticeably so in a high performance vehicle) and you may experience some unpleasant surprises. Two is OK on a Prius - but questionable on the RC-F. Gotta pay to play, as it has been said. On the other hand, if all you are doing is commuting and you're not going to be driving the car hard, then saving $ and doing just 2 would be fine.
i couldn't agree more. unless your rear tires is basically new to match the new fronts.

Originally Posted by harkirath
well if the OP wants to replace with used tires, money seems to be an issue at hand at the moment. choosing last model PSS to save a few bucks would be more entertaining to him than 4S.
Old 01-13-18, 09:44 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response. Car is parked and new front PSS are on order - local place wanted almost $305 per tire.

The whole idea of this thread was pairing new fronts with 7/32nds rears - I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to tires. I have a few track events set up in the near future and I know I’ll be running through fronts, so the idea of putting on slightly worn fronts rather than buying new ones was appealing. This is also my first sports car, so any previous suv/truck, I’ve always just replaced all 4 at one time - wasn’t sure if pairing brand new fronts on used rears was a bad idea.

Appreciate the responses
Old 01-13-18, 01:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Are the track events HPDEs or are you competing? If you're not competing, you can replace two and be fine. If you are competing, you would normally replace all four pretty much on principle. The purpose of an HPDE is to learn to drive your car. If the tires aren't perfect, you actually learn more than if they are. It's very challenging to learn to handle your car at the limits if your tires are track oriented because they're more likely to let go suddenly instead of progressively the way street tires do. If the rears are a little less sticky than the fronts, challenge yourself to learn to drive the car like this so when you have a full set of stickers and you rotate the car with the throttle, you'll already know what to do because you learned it at a lower speed with the lesser tires.

If your goal is to brag about all the cars you passed, then just get track tires and suffer the consequences of never learning to drive well.

JHMO from the track time I've had on two and four wheels.

Oh, get your front end toed out a little more to avoid this problem again. It looks like you've got way more toe in than you should for track work.

Quick Reply: Tire Issue/Question