RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Ohlins versus KW (Variant 3) Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 04:13 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ohlins versus KW (Variant 3) Coilovers

So to make a long story short, after 5000 miles of use I'm a bit disappointed with the RSR Sport-I coilovers. I don't like the way the RC-F bounces all over the place. I've tweaked and adjusted them at least 10 times. I'd like some coils to rebound without bouncing multiple times before stabilizing the car. I mainly do canyon runs with a seldom track day but my RC-F is driven on the highways the majority of the time.

Now having said that, can anyone chime in on;

A. Their experience(s) with either the Ohlins or KW coils on the RC-F.
and..
B. How would you rate them for daily street use?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-17, 05:10 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Possibly your spring rate is too low? I’m guessing you cannot change springs? I’m not familiar with RSR.
But other factors:
Is your ride height set really low? If it is low, can you/do you want to raise up some?
All coilovers will bounce if you have it set super low so there’s no stroke travel.
Shoot for 26” or higher as a measurement from ground to the peak of wheel arch. Make sure you’re “plumb”when taking the measurement.

Is the shock adjustable for rebound?
Can you increase pressure?
If it’s set too high the car will sorta be jittery quick bounces.
Too low and the bounces will be long and slow.

Hope that helps in the mean time until you get a better set up.
I have the RR Penskes. Tad noisy in the rear on bumps due to no rubber bushing, but If you don’t mind that, it’s a great set up. Guessing for non-track guys, Penske prolly a little hardcore.
Old 12-29-17, 08:29 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I would do your own research w/dampers on the market versus depending on other peoples OPTION to fit your platform build...

Originally Posted by LDEUX
So to make a long story short, after 5000 miles of use I'm a bit disappointed with the RSR Sport-I coilovers. I don't like the way the RC-F bounces all over the place. I've tweaked and adjusted them at least 10 times. I'd like some coils to rebound without bouncing multiple times before stabilizing the car. I mainly do canyon runs with a seldom track day but my RC-F is driven on the highways the majority of the time.

and..

Thanks!
Old 01-10-18, 11:31 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have experience on the RCF but I took KWv3's off my car for Ohlins DFV's and it's night and day. The dampening tech in the Ohlins is just next level to the V3's. Ride is better than stock on a Porsche 911 Turbo.
Old 01-12-18, 09:51 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
The dampening tech in the Ohlins is just next level to the V3's.
I ran both and I respectfully disagree.
Old 01-13-18, 12:11 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i wouldn't expect a smooth ride in those coilovers . they are stiff. they aren't bouncing around like a lowered civic with cut springs. they are just rebound fast and stiff. you will really feel it on any roads that aren't almost perfectly smooth.

if you want a smooth ride, look into RSR
Old 01-17-18, 03:41 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LDEUX

and..

Thanks!
Time to research on some Airrunners. You will be surprised how well it handles. Just sayin.
Old 05-05-20, 08:22 PM
neosoul
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
I ran both and I respectfully disagree.
im strongly considering a kw v3 - could you please provide your opinions please? Mostly because it’s not he only I’ve seen that keeps the stock setup and provides better clearance
Old 05-06-20, 08:51 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by neosoul
im strongly considering a kw v3 - could you please provide your opinions please? Mostly because it’s not he only I’ve seen that keeps the stock setup and provides better clearance
Contact us for pricing on KW V3, they're great coils!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-13-20, 07:38 PM
dlin4229
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had KW V3 and PSS10 on my previous 2007 G35S, had Tokico adjustable Illumina shocks and Koni sport yellow shocks plus H&R springs on my previous 2000 Maxima, and have Ohlins DFV 16K/12K from FIGS on my current ride 2017 GSF.

From my experience no aftermarket suspensions can be as comfortable as OEM due to those much stiffer performance springs. Of course, I could tune softer on those adjustable performance dampers to get more comfort but I get bouncy and unsettle ride, as a result, comparing with OEM. (The stiffer, somewhat irritating springs need more damping power to be calmed... Then, firmer dampers reduce ride comfort significantly!!!)

In my opinion,
Performance : Ohlins = KW V3 > PSS10
Damping/Comfort : Ohlins > KW V3 > PSS10

Ohlins is noticeably more comfortable than KW V3, especially at low speed/city drive.

In addition, I had Tokico adjustable Illumina shocks and Koni sport yellow shocks plus H&R springs on my previous 2000 Maxima. When I replaced Tokico with Koni, I suddenly found Koni was more stable and also more comfortable!!! Since then I'm only interested in European dampers like KW, Ohlins, Bilstein, etc.

In 2011 when my wife changed from 2000 Maxima(Koni+H&R) to 2010 M35X(stock), she said new M35X was unstable and difficult to drive(of course, M35X is still more comfortable). Similarly, in 2017 when I changed from 2007 G35S(PSS10) to 2017 GSF(stock), I didn't like to drive my GSF very much(even though GSF's dampers were SACHS already) until I put Ohlins on it...(Thank you, Mike from FIGS )

Last edited by dlin4229; 12-13-20 at 07:51 PM.