RCF oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 06:32 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RCF oil change

Hey guys,
I know I have read the manual but to double check, I got my first oil change at 1,000 miles from Lexus. Should I wait until the car reaches 5,000 to get a oil change or should I get it done earlier, say around 3,000 to flush all the contaminants out. Also, I have been going up to 5,000 rpm without flooring the vehicle, and yesterday was my first time I floored the vehicle when the engine was warmed up for "1/2 a second lol." Is this a problem?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-17, 07:08 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spam89
Hey guys,
I know I have read the manual but to double check, I got my first oil change at 1,000 miles from Lexus. Should I wait until the car reaches 5,000 to get a oil change or should I get it done earlier, say around 3,000 to flush all the contaminants out. Also, I have been going up to 5,000 rpm without flooring the vehicle, and yesterday was my first time I floored the vehicle when the engine was warmed up for "1/2 a second lol." Is this a problem?

Thanks!
Probably didn't need to do an oil change at 1k.
5k is the first one that you are recommended to have done.

Probably should specify what mode you're in when you're hitting 5k.
I'm assuming you're not in Manual mode either.
Old 04-24-17, 07:12 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

In paddle shift mode! Lexis was offering a free 1k oil change so I went and did it.
Old 04-24-17, 07:18 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

In paddle shift mode! Lexis was offering a free 1k oil change so I went and did it.
That's fortunate for you!
As long as they used decent oil, free is almost always worth it.
There shouldn't be any contaminants anymore if you've already changed after 1k.
Nowadays, most manufacturer's will already do a lot of this stuff pre-shipping out to dealership so it's usually negligible in the first place anyways.

As for mode, I meant: Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+.
But on another note, if you're in paddle shift mode/Manual, can't you decide when to shift up/down to control RPM?
Old 04-24-17, 07:29 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Yep free is better unless they use low grade oil, and hopefully not lol. I can down shift and upshift and I have been driving in sports plus mode since I got the car with 15 miles on it. Hopefully driving in sports plus non aggressively under 3 to 4k rpm below 1000 miles did not hurt the engine
Old 04-24-17, 07:41 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Yep free is better unless they use low grade oil, and hopefully not lol. I can down shift and upshift and I have been driving in sports plus mode since I got the car with 15 miles on it. Hopefully driving in sports plus non aggressively under 3 to 4k rpm below 1000 miles did not hurt the engine
Try to befriend the head service manager if you plan on going to the dealership moving forward.
That way they'll take better care of you and since it's an RC-F it's important to them too.
Also it's a really good connect since most of them have been in the industry a while and know a whole lot of other people for aftermarket stuff too.

Just an FYI for the future since it's already past that point:
1. Brembo break-in has an actual procedure they want you to follow for the first day
-"In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times." Realistically you only have to do it about 3-5 times.

2. For proper engine break-in you don't actually want to maintain the same speed consistently for too long. You definitely want to push it every once in a while so that the piston rings burnish the cylinder walls to decrease blow-by. Once again though this is mostly done in house already so it's not a big deal but for the first 1k you should try to avoid constant speeds and throttle settings.
Old 04-24-17, 10:25 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Try to befriend the head service manager if you plan on going to the dealership moving forward.
That way they'll take better care of you and since it's an RC-F it's important to them too.
Also it's a really good connect since most of them have been in the industry a while and know a whole lot of other people for aftermarket stuff too.

Just an FYI for the future since it's already past that point:
1. Brembo break-in has an actual procedure they want you to follow for the first day
-"In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times." Realistically you only have to do it about 3-5 times.

2. For proper engine break-in you don't actually want to maintain the same speed consistently for too long. You definitely want to push it every once in a while so that the piston rings burnish the cylinder walls to decrease blow-by. Once again though this is mostly done in house already so it's not a big deal but for the first 1k you should try to avoid constant speeds and throttle settings.
Wow great information! I did not know about the brembo break in but I will make sure to do that today! I will try to befriend the manager but will be probably be doing my own oil changes after the free 5k oil change!
Thank you Eun for all the great information
Old 04-24-17, 11:37 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Wow great information! I did not know about the brembo break in but I will make sure to do that today! I will try to befriend the manager but will be probably be doing my own oil changes after the free 5k oil change!
Thank you Eun for all the great information
All good homie.
I'm going to do my own oil/service at a friend's garage too.
There's a member here (@DanielTRLK) who posted a ton of great content in this thread.
When you have to decide which oil to use I'd definitely read through the thread and contact him if you have any additional questions.