RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rocker panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 03:31 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rocker panel

I have a ding on the rocker panel from the heel of passenger trying to get into the backseat. I've noticed the rocker panel is plastic. Any owners had that problem and how did you go on by fixing it?

(Not actual picture of my car)
Old 03-26-17, 04:41 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

You can try to heat up the inner side with hair dryer after removing and see if you can pop out the dent. Plastic is malleable when heated

Reminded me of my brand new 370Z after 2 weeks of ownership. Dent on the aluminum kickplate by the ex gf's high hills. Reminded me of her everytime i opened the passenger door
Old 03-26-17, 04:42 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey there. I've had 2 rcfs and they both had 2 dimples on each side skirt. Advisor from Lexus said it was a factory issue, then his manager wasn't any help and I gave up asking about it .
Old 03-26-17, 05:11 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ricardorc
Hey there. I've had 2 rcfs and they both had 2 dimples on each side skirt. Advisor from Lexus said it was a factory issue, then his manager wasn't any help and I gave up asking about it .

Thats good to know. I have a dimple on the passenger side too. I wonder if that's a factory issue and not from the heel of someone. I didnt really notice it till now.
Old 03-26-17, 07:18 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaimikazee
Thats good to know. I have a dimple on the passenger side too. I wonder if that's a factory issue and not from the heel of someone. I didnt really notice it till now.
a really good reputable body shop in my town attempted to take out the dimples from the inside of the skirts , they put them in the bake room and try to pop out the dimples but it didn't work at all.

on my black car it was very noticeable , on the white one
not so much

it seems to be a factory problem
they located on the same spots.
sucks there isn't a recall or whatever for them
Old 03-27-17, 12:40 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have never noticed any dimples on the rocker panels of my black RC F. I'm going to take a good look in a couple of hours, but I don't expect that I'll notice anything new since I have been over every inch of my car many times already while polishing, cleaning, CQuartz etc...

So I'm guessing whatever issue this is that it's not present on all cars. Unless I'm just not OCD enough.
Old 03-27-17, 01:33 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

I also noticed it on 2 other rcfs at the dealership
Old 03-27-17, 01:48 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I also noticed it on 2 other rcfs at the dealership
I'll find out for sure in about 20 minutes when I get in my car. If my car doesn't have it then perhaps it's a new issue since mine is a 2015.

Is it on the exterior or inside the door jam where it can only bee seen with the door open?

Edit: Is this dimple present on the driver's side, passenger side or both sides? If it's only on the driver's side then I think I might I see what you are talking about. I get in and out of my car 3+ times every single day so my driver's side has some wear and tear. But I can see a small imperfection that's about 1/16" in size that doesn't appear to be from a scrape. However, my passenger side is flawless. So if this issue is on both sides, then I don't have it.

If that "dimple" is the reason for the OPs concern and it's really that important to have it flawless, then the rocker panel can be sanded down and repainted for around $300 from a quality shop. The obsidian color is easy to color match and nobody will ever be able to tell that it was repainted if it's done right. If you own a red or blue model then you will likely be better off living with it since those colors are extremely hard to match.

Last edited by Davew77; 03-27-17 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 06:56 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

a really good reputable body shop in my town attempted to take out the dimples from the inside of the skirts , they put them in the bake room and try to pop out the dimples but it didn't work at all.

on my black car it was very noticeable , on the white one
not so much

it seems to be a factory problem
they located on the same spots.
sucks there isn't a recall or whatever for them
You can't really tell from the picture but it's there. To a person that's **** about the details like me, it's there. Both sides of the car. Upon closer examination, it looks like it's coming from where the frame is welded together. Maybe flexing is causing that??
Old 03-27-17, 07:15 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to look again. I may have that... I'm not that OCD about things like that near the ground level. If it was on the hood, roof or door then I would notice it.
Old 03-28-17, 03:56 AM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaimikazee
You can't really tell from the picture but it's there. To a person that's **** about the details like me, it's there. Both sides of the car. Upon closer examination, it looks like it's coming from where the frame is welded together. Maybe flexing is causing that??
i also looked to see if the clips were pinching the skirt and creating those dimples but when the body shop took them off , they still showed the dimples , not as bad but they were there .
Old 03-28-17, 03:57 AM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Davew77
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to look again. I may have that... I'm not that OCD about things like that near the ground level. If it was on the hood, roof or door then I would notice it.
yeah i guess since I'm in the claims adjusting for auto and houses i notice every single damage and it sucks lol