RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Does the RC (F or otherwise) have the worst resale of any Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 09:27 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Does the RC (F or otherwise) have the worst resale of any Lexus?

looking over Manheim Auction prices, KBB, Nada, the RCF has lost nearly 50% of it's value from MSRP in 2 years. The original sticker on mine was $78,699, while I paid less; auction and resale go off the MSRP.

looking at KBB mid trade is $46K, auction pricing is in the $43K range, yet I see 11 2015 RCF's for sale around me for $54K to $58K.

explain to me how a 2 model year old Lexus loses almost 50% of it's value, I can see it for an American car, but even an IS or GS of the same year hasn't lost more than 40%. An IS with an MSRP of $36K is going for $28k at auction.

I'm beginning to think the RC was a poor purchase, while vehicles are not investments, Lexus has always shown to have a better resale than it's competitors, yet I see no difference in the losses on the RCF in 2 years than I saw with any of the American vehicles I owned. . Heck even my Camaro was still worth more than 50% of the MSRP after 3 years and 36K miles.. I'm 5K miles under the average on the RCF and I am being offered $38K for a trade on a car that I paid over $70K for 17 months ago.

I'm starting to think I need to dump it at CarMax, cut my losses and ride my bike.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (03-23-17)
Old 03-20-17, 09:38 PM
rcf123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it will even out after some time. The RC F is a bit cheaper than the M4 brand new and M4's can be picked up for around mid $40k's now, roughly the same as the RC F.
Old 03-20-17, 09:50 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

That's the typical depreciation for all high priced mass produced cars. Look at M6, S550, Ghibli and the like, any leftover can be picked up for 25-30% off msrp (in most cases more). The second it's titled, it loses another 10%.
Mjeds- selling now would probably be the stupidest (no offense) thing to do, while making the new owner very happy
Old 03-20-17, 10:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
while vehicles are not investments
You said it yourself. You (at least I do) buy a vehicle because I like it, not because I'm looking at the value down the road. If you want that kind of guarantee, you should lease rather than buy.

Caveat - I have never leased a vehicle, and my vehicles are never left stock. And, AFAIK, modifications have a negative affect on value.

But, as you can see by my ISF, I tend to hold on to my vehicles for awhile.

Lou
Old 03-20-17, 11:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would hang on to the RCF (that's if you still like it). This phenomenon is common with these type of cars. That was precisely the reason I did not buy my RCF brand brand new and way early when released. I really wanted to and had the means to buy it back then when the RCF was first released. But I had to hold back until I find the one at the price I thought was the target price for me. So based on what you had found pricewise, if today I sold my RCF I would be loosing "only a few grand". But I am not selling. I happened to like the RCF. Yes, there are other cars out there more "sexy", "faster", "more power", and etc..........but at the end of the day the RCF still give me a big smile which is important to me.

looking over Manheim Auction prices, KBB, Nada, the RCF has lost nearly 50% of it's value from MSRP in 2 years. The original sticker on mine was $78,699, while I paid less; auction and resale go off the MSRP.

looking at KBB mid trade is $46K, auction pricing is in the $43K range, yet I see 11 2015 RCF's for sale around me for $54K to $58K.

explain to me how a 2 model year old Lexus loses almost 50% of it's value, I can see it for an American car, but even an IS or GS of the same year hasn't lost more than 40%. An IS with an MSRP of $36K is going for $28k at auction.

I'm beginning to think the RC was a poor purchase, while vehicles are not investments, Lexus has always shown to have a better resale than it's competitors, yet I see no difference in the losses on the RCF in 2 years than I saw with any of the American vehicles I owned. . Heck even my Camaro was still worth more than 50% of the MSRP after 3 years and 36K miles.. I'm 5K miles under the average on the RCF and I am being offered $38K for a trade on a car that I paid over $70K for 17 months ago.

I'm starting to think I need to dump it at CarMax, cut my losses and ride my bike.
Old 03-21-17, 07:32 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

All these people complaining about low trade in values, has to do with alot i have said below:

3 things really

1. They made TOO many 2015s (heard this from my Corp Exec. so this floods the market with that particular car pulling values down

2. It is a special interest car. (no frequently purchased) Niche market.

3 Dealers slashing prices on 15s and 16s. They did need the help on 2015s (they recieved 5k in rebates and there is a approx $5k manufacturer markup (depending on options) This also KILLSTrade in and used car values.

There are NO REASONS to sell this car below invoice.If dealers would treat this car is as special as it actual is. If you bought below invoice when no rebates are available then you bought from a VOLUME store. Meaning everyone buys at invoice due to large amount of acutal buying customers. IE LA, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas.

At the end of the day these are the real factors. 2016 and 2017 production has slowed dramatically by large percentages. you will not see this car bastardized any more. I really cant stand reading these posts on here "think i can get %20 to %25 of a RCF" if that is Where you need to feel like you got a deal or to fit in your payment structure or this simple TOO MUCH car for you. People are actually paying $6000 over msrp on BMW M2s.( I know someone who sells them.)

Here is small real world example that the company COACH has done. They no longer sell their products at every store they can get their bags in. Only select retailers may sell their product. You will see less and less discounts on the products as well as less outlet COACH stores that always sell lower than retail. This has actually worked. Their profit margins have increased, the products have gained back their Prestige. They are also worth MORE on private party sales IE selling them pre owned. I whole heartedly believe LEXUS sell the best product on the road. For several reasons. It really bugs me when they get bastardized or when people assume because its a car and because GM takes 25,000 off a corvette the same applies to LEXUS. Guess what it doesnt.
This car is far too nice to give GM pricing on.

END RANT
Old 03-21-17, 08:18 AM
rcf123
Driver School Candidate

^
I agree, there was way too many in 2015. If I'm not wrong, Lexus cut down a lot on RC F production. If you look at cars.com, there are 249 new for 2017 total (at the moment). While theres 500+ M3's and 850+ C63's for this year new listed so far. I think the prices for used RC F's will level out after sometime, especially when people realize how reliable and great these cars are.
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 08:53 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

my initial goal was to hang on to the car for 5+ years, I enjoy the car and love driving it, but some life circumstances have changed and I would be better served with a more practical vehicle.

Old 03-21-17, 09:40 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 5K miles under the average on the RCF and I am being offered $38K for a trade on a car that I paid over $70K for 17 months ago.
$38k is really low for a 2015 RC F with low mileage. For example, my CU Black Book Trade-In suggests the following prices for a 2015 RC F with 20,000 miles: $47,295 for "clean", $46,355 for "average" and $41,265 for "rough" condition.
Old 03-21-17, 09:56 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm 5K miles under the average on the RCF and I am being offered $38K for a trade on a car that I paid over $70K for 17 months ago.
38k is not too much more of what i got for my ISF trade. i got had a trade in offer for current rc-f with 1500 miles at 51k when i was looking at an audi r8 3 months ago. not sure where you are trying to trade your car in but it will vary depending on the dealership and vehicle you are trading for.
Old 03-21-17, 09:57 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf123
I think that it will even out after some time. The RC F is a bit cheaper than the M4 brand new and M4's can be picked up for around mid $40k's now, roughly the same as the RC F.

where do you see m4's around mid 40s?
Old 03-21-17, 10:15 AM
rcf123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kings222
where do you see m4's around mid 40s?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6736/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6275/overview/

also a lot of new generation 2016+ c63 amg s beginning to drop.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5778/overview/ 62k now and the msrp was 90k (more than an rc f). give it another year and it'll be probably low 50's just like the RC F.

i think it really is common just for these mass produced models to tank after a year or two.

Last edited by rcf123; 03-21-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 10:22 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

55k miles and cost 44k. who would buy this over a 12k miles and 50-52k dollars. nearing that 60k miles, i would get that price down another 3k easily .
Old 03-21-17, 10:50 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
55k miles and cost 44k. who would buy this over a 12k miles and 50-52k dollars. nearing that 60k miles, i would get that price down another 3k easily .
Exactly what I was thinking. All these 40K M4s are base models AND with high miles (22K miles per year is a ton of miles for high performance cars).

Not a good example to compare to. RCF is still dropping too much in value, no matter which way you slice it.
Old 03-21-17, 10:56 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mk416
Exactly what I was thinking. All these 40K M4s are base models AND with high miles (22K miles per year is a ton of miles for high performance cars).

Not a good example to compare to. RCF is still dropping too much in value, no matter which way you slice it.

22k miles is a lot for a performance car...but its like 3 times as much for being a bmw M car lol.

Quick Reply: Does the RC (F or otherwise) have the worst resale of any Lexus?