RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Sorry, But your Remote Start Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 10:47 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sorry, But your Remote Start Won't Work

I've seen a people say they like their Remote Start using their key fob vs. the Lexus Enform App and "when the subscription is over I'll just use my remote". I actually believed my remote start would work long after the Lexus Enform app ended. Found out today after many failed attempts at starting my car via FOB (three buttons and hold) that, this does NOT work after your subscription has ended. Hope you weren't using that $250 annual subscription money for car parts...
Old 03-15-17, 11:04 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RYLITT
I've seen a people say they like their Remote Start using their key fob vs. the Lexus Enform App and "when the subscription is over I'll just use my remote". I actually believed my remote start would work long after the Lexus Enform app ended. Found out today after many failed attempts at starting my car via FOB (three buttons and hold) that, this does NOT work after your subscription has ended. Hope you weren't using that $250 annual subscription money for car parts...
Good to know.
I've been messing with remote start but as of right now, not a fan.
Remote start via app takes forever.
And the key fob version has like special constraints on how fast you click/hold the lock button.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (04-04-17)
Old 03-15-17, 12:59 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, the app is slow and gimmicky. But it's money well spent for me. If I didn't have the remote start I'd have to walk through the cold parking lot at work and get into a cold car. Then I'd have to sit in that cold car for several minutes while I waited for the engine to warm up. I'm from Florida, I don't even own a coat. I don't start a cold car and just drive off like some people do. I'd like my engine to run strong for 200k+ miles.

Thanks to the remote start via cellular I can start my car 10 minutes before I will arrive at the door. Then I can hop into a semi-warm car and drive off instantly without having to wait for the oil to reach the top of the engine. Even on hot days it's a good idea to give the car a minute or two at idle to get the oil circulating before putting the engine under load if it's been sitting for a little while.

I have only ever used the fob to start the car a couple of times. When I'm that close to the car I don't usually need to start it before I get in it. At work my car is way too far away from the building to use the fob. Not to mention that I'm probably 2000 feet from the door of the building. I believe that the fob should work regardless of the subscription though.

Last edited by Davew77; 03-15-17 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (11-10-23)
Old 03-15-17, 03:16 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Enform subscription can be as low as 25$ a month. Cancel anytime, restart anytime. I took this option when I called so if I garage my car in the winter, no pay
or if I didnt use it much im not out 250 only a portion of
Old 04-04-17, 09:31 AM
MDElliott
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Like the remote start, but every time I open my door it kills the motor. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-04-17, 10:15 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MDElliott
Like the remote start, but every time I open my door it kills the motor. What am I doing wrong?
It does that to everyone
Old 04-04-17, 10:41 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

that's a Lexus "safety feature" and why I don't use the remote start and could care less.. completely pointless IMO.

I enjoyed the Remote Starting feature on my past 4 vehicles, but have found the Lexus/Toyota to be completely worthless, it doesn't adjust the HVAC temp, it doesn't start the seat heaters or coolers, it doesn't keep the radio and dash in an off mode, and it shuts the car down upon opening the doors or trunk.

100% worthless.

even my heaping pile of garbage Chrysler 300 remote start: Didn't blare the radio when active, kept the instrument panel off, turned on the AC if the interior temp was above 100° and the heater and heated seats if it was below 45° and that was in 2005.

--

some might ask why the dash or radio make a difference, well consider this, you remote start the vehicle at night or in a dark garage and the whole flipping interior lights up giving everyone a peep show into your vehicle.
Old 04-04-17, 06:39 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
that's a Lexus "safety feature" and why I don't use the remote start and could care less.. completely pointless IMO.

I enjoyed the Remote Starting feature on my past 4 vehicles, but have found the Lexus/Toyota to be completely worthless, it doesn't adjust the HVAC temp, it doesn't start the seat heaters or coolers, it doesn't keep the radio and dash in an off mode, and it shuts the car down upon opening the doors or trunk.

100% worthless.

even my heaping pile of garbage Chrysler 300 remote start: Didn't blare the radio when active, kept the instrument panel off, turned on the AC if the interior temp was above 100° and the heater and heated seats if it was below 45° and that was in 2005.

--

some might ask why the dash or radio make a difference, well consider this, you remote start the vehicle at night or in a dark garage and the whole flipping interior lights up giving everyone a peep show into your vehicle.
everyone has their own opinion on this

I think its great because i can warm up the car from my apartment and by the time i get down the car is warmed up and ready to go
Old 04-04-17, 06:58 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paulwall4
everyone has their own opinion on this

I think its great because i can warm up the car from my apartment and by the time i get down the car is warmed up and ready to go
warmed up? up live in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California, the only thing you are doing is wasting fuel. I could see it if you lived in the Snow Belt, but here in Socal what exactly do you need to warm up?
Old 04-04-17, 08:05 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

warmed up? up live in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California, the only thing you are doing is wasting fuel. I could see it if you lived in the Snow Belt, but here in Socal what exactly do you need to warm up?
The mornings still can be cold
Im not here to argue
You think its wasting fuel but i won't move the car till its at temperature
which still takes about 5-10 mins

also mine is still the free 1 year
will i pay for it? not sure
Old 04-04-17, 08:22 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

During the free trial period, I would use the remote start to cool down the interior. It gets quite hot down here in SoCal. 10 minutes of the A/C blowing at full blast before I get in really helps.
Old 04-04-17, 08:54 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dchar
During the free trial period, I would use the remote start to cool down the interior. It gets quite hot down here in SoCal. 10 minutes of the A/C blowing at full blast before I get in really helps.
only if you remember to leave in in AC mode when you turn off the car.. Lexus remote start doesn't turn on AC mode automatically. For someone like me I don't remember to do that, I come home late at night when it is cool so the AC is not on and I leave in the mid morning when it is warm outside, so unless I always remember to turn on the AC chances are I'll be blowing heat and not cool air.

2 of my previous Chevy's would determine the interior temps and set the Heat or AC when you remote started, they would also turn on the seat heaters or coolers automatically based on interior temps. Regardless of how you had things set when you turned the vehicle off. For me, this was the only thing that gave remote start any value.

There is no need to 'warm up' an engine in southern california, the only time you need to allow a modern engine to warm up for 5-10 minutes is in freezing temperatures, doing it in 55°+ degree morning in SoCal does nothing but create pollution and waste fuel. 30 - 60 seconds on a modern car in above freezing temps is more than enough to get the oil pumping through the motor, and driving it at low speeds 25-35mph for a mile or so is far better to the car than letting it stand and idle, moving it gets the trans and rear end fluids moving as well, idling does not.

To each there own, Southern California is not cold, it never gets below 45° here in the dead of winter and I live 10 miles from the ocean, in land in the valley it doesn't even get to 45° and 45° is not cold, it is mildly cool.
Old 04-04-17, 09:12 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RYLITT
Even if that works, it is pretty useless due to too short range, like barely 30 feet.
Old 04-04-17, 09:15 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Now most of all remote starter does that due to safety reasons. 3rd party ones have good range like 3000 feet or more cost around `around 250.00 or so for 2 way one. For little more, you can add alarm system too.

Last edited by Htony; 04-09-17 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-07-17, 12:15 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Anyone tried and gotten the JDM remote start to work?

http://www.japantunedparts.com/Lexus...05216-dequ.htm

http://www.japantunedparts.com/Lexus...05216-deru.htm

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 04-07-17 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Sorry, But your Remote Start Won't Work