RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RR Racing Battery Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 10:30 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RR Racing Battery Install

Installed the Lightweight Racing Battery from RR Racing. Not gonna talk about the install as its so easy you can follow the directions it comes with. Just unbolt the stock and bolt in the new one. No modifications or anything extra needed to make this work. Hardest part of the whole thing was leaning over in an awkward position to pull the 40lbs stock battery out of the tight spot it sits. There is a wire that you can hook up a maintenance light to monitor the battery levels and condition, I didnt connect it. This battery is so small. Its about the size of a brick (Picture posted for reference next to iphone 7). After install the car started up no problem. No issues at all throughout. Car definitely starts quicker. Crank time is reduced. The weight reduction is noticeable while driving. Its hard to explain and comprehend how it could make a difference over text but i promise you, if you install, you will know what im talking about. Enjoy. *I was not paid or compensated in anyway to write this. Just here to help others get the best out of this amazing car.

The following 4 users liked this post by rmsimmonsj:
BossMoss (02-24-17), MisterEun (02-24-17), nelson143 (02-24-17), Z3NK1 (02-26-17)
Old 02-24-17, 08:54 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the weight savings if you don't mind me asking.
Old 02-24-17, 10:15 AM
tomsgsf
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

i feel the same things ,start better
Old 02-24-17, 10:20 AM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

40lbs really???
Old 02-24-17, 10:23 AM
tomsgsf
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo1
40lbs really???
yeah this thing is super light
Old 02-24-17, 10:32 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SwitchUps
What is the weight savings if you don't mind me asking.
OEM is 42lbs.
RR is 4.9lbs.
Savings = 37.1lbs
The following 3 users liked this post by MisterEun:
BossMoss (02-24-17), cosmo1 (02-24-17), finny76 (03-02-17)
Old 02-24-17, 10:33 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterEun
OEM is 42lbs.
RR is 4.9lbs.
Savings = 37.1lbs
wow that's amazing.
Old 02-24-17, 10:36 AM
cosmo1
Pole Position

For $550 I can't help but to wonder how long this battery will last? Plus you have to buy a special charger for it..
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (03-02-17)
Old 02-24-17, 10:51 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

For $550 I can't help but to wonder how long this battery will last? Plus you have to buy a special charger for it..
"We recommend using a lithium ion specific charger for maintaining batteries for cars that are stored for more than a week at a time"

It's a crime not to drive an RC-F for more than a week!

Jokes aside, you should definitely ask @RRRacing about battery life.
Otherwise I think $14.86/lb is cheap for weight reduction.
Old 02-25-17, 12:40 AM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MisterEun
OEM is 42lbs.
RR is 4.9lbs.
Savings = 37.1lbs
You beat me to it. This is correct. Makes a noticeable difference in driving feel. With all my weight savings im down to 3800lbs on the car. Reduction so far: Exhaust and both stock cats removed, lighter wheels, lighter rotors, lighter battery, and all the flat tire repair and trunk carpet. Starts to add up quick. 150lbs out. Looking for other ways to get it down. 3600lbs would be ideal. If the seats werent so beautiful and one of the things that stand out over other cars id swap them, but its not worth it. Hood is already super light. Anyone know any heavy pieces to take off or swap? How about the front impact bar under the bumper? I wonder how much that weights. Maybe have a custom bar made so the engine and myself is still protected in the event of an accident. Id rather not take off dozens of little things throughout the car to save 20lbs. Looking for bulk weight. If the rear spoiler wasnt so expensive id get the Varis but not to save only 5lbs. Andrew (ISFPOWER) had a good idea to remove the heavy active spoiler motor in the trunk. He said it weighs 20-30lbs. That wouldnt be a bad idea to have it in the up position and then just unhook it and keep it fixed. Does anyone know if removing the piece I circled would have any negative impact stability wise or is it just to protect the oil pan? It was easy 15-20lbs solid metal when I took it off to install my steering bushing. Can it be left off safely?

Last edited by rmsimmonsj; 02-25-17 at 01:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 07:14 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

I like your style. I think all this car needs is a good weight reduction rather than more power.
Old 02-25-17, 03:12 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

It looks as if that keeps the cars frame from flexing and twisting... Did you install new headers or just gut the factory cats coming off the exhaust manifolds?? I have thought about the headers but heard you have to pull the motor to do the install...
Old 02-27-17, 12:48 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

It looks as if that keeps the cars frame from flexing and twisting... Did you install new headers or just gut the factory cats coming off the exhaust manifolds?? I have thought about the headers but heard you have to pull the motor to do the install...
He removed both primary and secondary cats.
Old 02-27-17, 07:01 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
You beat me to it. This is correct. Makes a noticeable difference in driving feel. With all my weight savings im down to 3800lbs on the car. Reduction so far: Exhaust and both stock cats removed, lighter wheels, lighter rotors, lighter battery, and all the flat tire repair and trunk carpet. Starts to add up quick. 150lbs out. Looking for other ways to get it down. 3600lbs would be ideal. If the seats werent so beautiful and one of the things that stand out over other cars id swap them, but its not worth it. Hood is already super light. Anyone know any heavy pieces to take off or swap? How about the front impact bar under the bumper? I wonder how much that weights. Maybe have a custom bar made so the engine and myself is still protected in the event of an accident. Id rather not take off dozens of little things throughout the car to save 20lbs. Looking for bulk weight. If the rear spoiler wasnt so expensive id get the Varis but not to save only 5lbs. Andrew (ISFPOWER) had a good idea to remove the heavy active spoiler motor in the trunk. He said it weighs 20-30lbs. That wouldnt be a bad idea to have it in the up position and then just unhook it and keep it fixed. Does anyone know if removing the piece I circled would have any negative impact stability wise or is it just to protect the oil pan? It was easy 15-20lbs solid metal when I took it off to install my steering bushing. Can it be left off safely?
if it was me I wouldn't remove it.
Looks like it provides chassis rigidity plus protect what's above it from scraping the ground if you bottom out.
But that's just my gut talking.
Take it off & see how your steering response feels. Can always put it back.
Old 02-27-17, 07:04 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

That looks really good in the engine bay and insane weight saving!

Quick Reply: RR Racing Battery Install