RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 09:47 AM
wordsworth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC F Reliability

With the long, intimidating threads about fuel pumps & spoilers - I'm afraid potential RC F owners like me may experience confirmation bias.

How many owners out there have experienced no major problems and are still completely thrilled about their purchase?

Mileage and duration would help - thanks!
Old 01-11-16, 10:05 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by wordsworth
With the long, intimidating threads about fuel pumps & spoilers - I'm afraid potential RC F owners like me may experience confirmation bias.

How many owners out there have experienced no major problems and are still completely thrilled about their purchase?

The spoiler issue has been resolved as far as I know, I've never had issues with mine. I had one instance where the NAV system rebooted while I was driving but that's about it.
Car has a build date of 9/2015. Although mieage is still at a low 750, I'm still happy with my purchase
Old 01-11-16, 12:09 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20K miles on mine and no problems.
Old 01-11-16, 12:13 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by 7No
20K miles on mine and no problems.
What's the production month on yours?
Old 01-11-16, 12:14 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

it's a Lexus, 'nuff said.

all makes/models experience little issues, as long as those issues are attended to by the manufacturer and resolved, reliability is not affected.

it's when the manufacturer ignores the issues, even after 10k,20k,30k or more customers have the same issue that reliability becomes questionable.
Old 01-11-16, 12:46 PM
ghoffner
Driver

I have 1,100 miles on mine. Very happy with the purchase...I'm obsessed with the sound when you gun it. Only complaint is the break squeaking. I had the OEM pads replaced and it's just as bad....and by bad I mean absolutely embarrassing. It's going in again tomorrow to have it looked at again.
Old 01-11-16, 01:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
I have 1,100 miles on mine. Very happy with the purchase...I'm obsessed with the sound when you gun it. Only complaint is the break squeaking. I had the OEM pads replaced and it's just as bad....and by bad I mean absolutely embarrassing. It's going in again tomorrow to have it looked at again.

bed your brakes.

I'm at 4,400 miles and the brake squeal was awful the first 1,500 miles, I bedded the brakes at that point and since I have had no issue..

brake bedding:

After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop, get down to 5-7mph and back up to 45, do not come to a full stop and hold the brake pedal down, you don't want complete contact to the rotor with the car stopped.

When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete.

The object is to get the brake very hot and transfer the pad to the rotor surface, once that has happened cooling the brakes keeps a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface.

I have had Brembo brakes on my last 3 vehicles and they have all had this issue, bedding the brakes cures the issue for a good 10K miles, at which time you usually have to do it again, if you do a lot of stop and go driving you may have to do it sooner as the constant stop and hold can break down the transfer film.

Last edited by mjeds; 01-11-16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 01:27 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
What's the production month on yours?
I bought in March last year.
Old 01-11-16, 02:09 PM
Akiho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, wordsworth..

How are you? I just hit 8100 miles on Akiho (Ultrasonic Blue Mica) and bought her in mid July 2015. So far, no major or minor problems as of yet except for a slight brake squeal. On my 10000 mile oil change, I will have her looked at but it's not that bad to be embarrassed while trying to stop. Hopefully, other RCF owners don't have any more issues besides what is on these threads. As for the build, I will have to check and get back to you. Please drive carefully and safely out there guys/gals. Hehe.. ;-)

Regards,
Akiho
Old 01-11-16, 04:13 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the only thing that's embarrassing about the brake squeal "issue" are the owner complaints. it must be your first performance car rodeo because my 2008 gt3 squeaks even more and it's beautiful!

i bought the rcf over the m4 because quality/reliability/durability (the toyota engineering holy triumvirate) are important to me. i'd rather give up a bit of that performance edge for qrd and comfort. the RCF delivers along these fronts like no other in the $80K coupe class. but the most important thing was the looks. the RCF kills. it polarizes. i like my panerai domed 47mm and bespoke suits from s.row because they have an opinion. let the others do common. but i digress...

no issues thus far w/ 3K miles. wonderful. smooth. quiet. rare. good stuff just as i had remembered the SC days.
Old 01-11-16, 04:28 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had 3 fuel pumps in 23,000 miles.
BUT if it will make you feel better Lexus is buying the car back.

It was just one phone call and one email to make it happen. Very happy with their offer.

And for those prospective buyers who are worried...I plan on buying another RCF when I turn this one in.
Old 01-11-16, 06:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13

It was just one phone call and one email to make it happen. Very happy with their offer.

And for those prospective buyers who are worried...I plan on buying another RCF when I turn this one in.
Awesome! Clearly an anomaly. This is great to hear.
Old 01-11-16, 07:17 PM
SethNaga
Rookie

Good to hear. This was a concern for me.

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13

Old 01-12-16, 08:10 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

7 months, one 5K road trip, 13K total miles in. No problems, pretty much thoroughly enjoying the car. Replaced the OEM brake pads with Carbotech (a cool $500) and coated the back of the pads with CRC Brake Quiet - eliminated brake noise and much less dust. Replaced the OEM exhaust with PTS/JoeZ because I thought the car was too quiet, especially at low RPMs. Was expecting some problem to show up, as you say biased by the forum complaints, but maybe by the time I ordered my car some/most of those had been corrected. Only problem I have had is the dealer over-filled the oil by about a quart or more on my free service, and a CEL caused apparently by the gas cap not sealing completely. Fingers crossed that the Lexus reputation for reliability and quality engineering holds on this first model yr of the RC F.
Old 01-12-16, 08:34 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
it's a Lexus, 'nuff said.

all makes/models experience little issues, as long as those issues are attended to by the manufacturer and resolved, reliability is not affected.

it's when the manufacturer ignores the issues, even after 10k,20k,30k or more customers have the same issue that reliability becomes questionable.
^^^^This & i wouldn't call the Spoiler an issue, if you have to get from point A to Point B i Don't think the Spoiler will Prevent you from doing it Now, if you're Broke down on the side of the road & the fuel pump is the cause of it that's another story, but i wouldn't worry about the spoiler, just put it Up all the time.

Quick Reply: RC F Reliability