RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Got hit by a bicyclist

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 07:17 PM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got hit by a bicyclist

It is minor but how would I go to repair it? and how much will it cost to repair?
Old 10-04-16, 07:20 PM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Would help if I attach the photos
Attached Thumbnails Got hit by a bicyclist-img-20161004-wa0003-1-.jpg   Got hit by a bicyclist-img-20161004-wa0004.jpg  
Old 10-04-16, 07:35 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your car's damage. Is the cyclist okay?

Regarding your damage: some communities have remote services that come right to your home to repair your bumper. I've had a such a service repair a late model car with great color match, and reasonalble cost (~$200, at the time), and you couldn't tell it had been damaged. So, check into that vs. getting a bid at a body shop recommended by your local Lexus dealer. It may involve removing, repairing, and repainting the bumper. The infrared color, cause of a multilayered process, could be pricey, and I wouldn't want to guess at how much. Good luck.
Old 10-04-16, 07:51 PM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Sorry for your car's damage. Is the cyclist okay?

Regarding your damage: some communities have remote services that come right to your home to repair your bumper. I've had a such a service repair a late model car with great color match, and reasonalble cost (~$200, at the time), and you couldn't tell it had been damaged. So, check into that vs. getting a bid at a body shop recommended by your local Lexus dealer. It may involve removing, repairing, and repainting the bumper. The infrared color, cause of a multilayered process, could be pricey, and I wouldn't want to guess at how much. Good luck.

The cyclist was okay and he fled from the location. It was his fault and he even admitted it.
one of my friend had almost the same thing happen to his GS and a guy just waxed it off for him for free
Old 10-04-16, 08:17 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adhro7
The cyclist was okay and he fled from the location. It was his fault and he even admitted it.
one of my friend had almost the same thing happen to his GS and a guy just waxed it off for him for free
By "waxed", I'm sure you mean the use of rubbing compound. That works if it's a superficial scratch, but your's looks like it took paint off, no?

Last edited by Canesguy; 10-04-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 08:24 PM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
By "waxed", I'm sure you mean the use of rubbing compound. That works if it's a superficial scratch, but your's looks like it took off paint, no?

I'm pretty sure I'm looking at 500+ easy.
Old 10-04-16, 10:25 PM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Would anyone suggest insurance? if I do that, will the car be labeled with "Minor Damage" or any of that?
Thank you
Old 10-04-16, 11:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry to see such a beautiful infrared RC350 got scratched up like that! !!

IDK if you want to get your insurance company involved. Depending on your deductible, you may come out the same, maybe $500 or less???? IDK???

There is the difference between collision, comprehensive, or even hit and run (bicyclist hit you and ran away, so uninsured maybe? ??)

Last year I hit something in the middle of the road at night with my CT200H and I couldn't get out of the way due to traffic beside me. Total repair bill came to be around $12K (Yes, twelve big ones with my 1k deductible) with new Lexus OEM parts at a very reputable Lexus dealer bodyshop.

Even though I didn't think it was my fault, the insurance company filed it as under collision so I was penalized when it came to renewal. Rate increased about $450 total overall for all vehicles per year for the next three years. Then it goes away.

I was told if it was an animal (like a deer or a GIANT RACON!!!) that hit me, then PROBABLY it will be under comprehensive and no rate increase? ??? Well, geewiz!!!!! It happened so fast I really did not know what exactly hit me!!! Live and learn, I guess.

So with the bicyclist.......maybe uninsured motorist? ??? Hit and run???

Maybe call your insurance agent and ask (off the record, of course) hypothetically speaking......

Good luck.

Would anyone suggest insurance? if I do that, will the car be labeled with "Minor Damage" or any of that?
Thank you
Old 10-05-16, 12:26 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I hate the Lycra ********* they think the own the road and all they are doing is exercise, what other "sport" can you play on the road. Just try buffing it out, the scratch not the ********.
Old 10-05-16, 08:30 AM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Sorry to see such a beautiful infrared RC350 got scratched up like that! !!

IDK if you want to get your insurance company involved. Depending on your deductible, you may come out the same, maybe $500 or less???? IDK???

There is the difference between collision, comprehensive, or even hit and run (bicyclist hit you and ran away, so uninsured maybe? ??)

Last year I hit something in the middle of the road at night with my CT200H and I couldn't get out of the way due to traffic beside me. Total repair bill came to be around $12K (Yes, twelve big ones with my 1k deductible) with new Lexus OEM parts at a very reputable Lexus dealer bodyshop.

Even though I didn't think it was my fault, the insurance company filed it as under collision so I was penalized when it came to renewal. Rate increased about $450 total overall for all vehicles per year for the next three years. Then it goes away.

I was told if it was an animal (like a deer or a GIANT RACON!!!) that hit me, then PROBABLY it will be under comprehensive and no rate increase? ??? Well, geewiz!!!!! It happened so fast I really did not know what exactly hit me!!! Live and learn, I guess.

So with the bicyclist.......maybe uninsured motorist? ??? Hit and run???

Maybe call your insurance agent and ask (off the record, of course) hypothetically speaking......

Good luck.

Thank you for your input and I will also try to buff it out and see how that goes.
Old 10-06-16, 11:58 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a buddy who experienced the same thing, but on his E class. Wasn't anything significant, but he was able to buff out the scuffing.
Old 10-07-16, 08:05 PM
adhro7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
I had a buddy who experienced the same thing, but on his E class. Wasn't anything significant, but he was able to buff out the scuffing.
I talked to a guy today and he said $250 all together to get it fixed.
Same color and everything
The color itself cost $180
Old 10-10-16, 11:29 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I talked to a guy today and he said $250 all together to get it fixed.
Same color and everything
The color itself cost $180
That sucks, that $280 could be used for some other car mods.