Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Muffler Delete/Straight Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 08:36 PM
skrrrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Delete/Straight Pipe?

Hello ClubLexus. 3rd Gen IS300 owner here.

Has anybody here with a 3rd Gen IS300 gotten a muffler delete or straight pipe? I have a few questions as i'm looking to possibly do one or the other.
1. About how much did the process cost you at your local shop?
2. What kind of sound do you get after a stock muffler delete/straight pipe? Approximately how loud is it?
3. If I were to get a muffler delete/straight pipe, can I keep my stock exhaust tips attached to the car? I really like those tips.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-24-19, 06:30 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

After that you can lower the car 3" by cutting the springs
Old 01-24-19, 10:38 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
After that you can lower the car 3" by cutting the springs
Someone's cheeky!

There are lots of Youtube videos of various IS configurations, including muffler and resonator deletes. Most basically, you'll get an increase in volume and loss of refinement. Simply replacing components with pipe is relatively cheap, especially since it's just straight. Replacing tips is also easy.
Old 02-20-19, 10:49 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If your is300 is the v6, I have 2 videos of a tsudo midpipe with a muffler delete:

1) The process for a muffler delete first is pretty straightfoward, I paid around $300. If you have a specific style of muffler tip that you want, then you would bring your own. I found fleabay akrapovic tips off Aliexpress, they took about a month to arrive.

2) It's really loud, and you'll definitely hear it in the cabin. Whenever I was driving mildly on the freeway and passing slower traffic, and on the phone, it would be obviously noticeable by the other person, and at times drown me out. My friends and some people would compliment the exhaust note, and it definitely was entertaining until I decided I wanted a more quiet ride.
I usually listen to my music at 24-30 with the exhaust setup. Now that i'm stock again I listen to music at 10-15.

3) You can keep your stock exhaust tips, they just have to cut up your muffler even more to salvage the tips and weld it back on. I suggest finding the same style tips, so that they cut off a little as possible from your stock mufflers, and in the event you wish to reverse it, you can go back to the same shop and they'll just cut and weld it all back to stock.
Old 02-20-19, 11:07 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

I actually just straightpiped my RC350 2 days ago. I have a complete straightpipe from the downpipes with an x in the middle out to the tips, full 2.5. I had it manufactured for 550$ at my local shop, and that includes the new tips. Our car's have the same motor, so you can listen to my sound clips posted here on my build thread, for cold and warm start videos. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10445700

I actually have 0 drone with this setup during cruise. It is extremely loud at WOT outside the cabin.

I can listen to Howard100 at 20 volume no problem, and that station is pretty quiet too.
Old 02-20-19, 12:40 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pittsy
I actually just straightpiped my RC350 2 days ago. I have a complete straightpipe from the downpipes with an x in the middle out to the tips, full 2.5.
So all you have are primary cats?
Old 02-20-19, 12:47 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
So all you have are primary cats?
Unfortunately yes, but soon to have some ppe headers installed
Old 02-20-19, 12:48 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I actually just straightpiped my RC350 2 days ago. I have a complete straightpipe from the downpipes with an x in the middle out to the tips, full 2.5. I had it manufactured for 550$ at my local shop, and that includes the new tips. Our car's have the same motor, so you can listen to my sound clips posted here on my build thread, for cold and warm start videos. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10445700

I actually have 0 drone with this setup during cruise. It is extremely loud at WOT outside the cabin.

I can listen to Howard100 at 20 volume no problem, and that station is pretty quiet too.
I'm uber jealous that you don't have any drone. I checked out your build hoping to find a pic or two of how they built your exhaust. Curious if they put in a helmholtz resonator or something like a glasspack. Makes we wonder if there's a difference in the amount of sound deadening and cabin sound isolation between the two cars.

Super clean build btw
Old 02-20-19, 12:54 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Unfortunately yes, but soon to have some ppe headers installed
lol, yer gonna start breaking windows!
Old 02-20-19, 12:57 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by itsx
I'm uber jealous that you don't have any drone. I checked out your build hoping to find a pic or two of how they built your exhaust. Curious if they put in a helmholtz resonator or something like a glasspack. Makes we wonder if there's a difference in the amount of sound deadening and cabin sound isolation between the two cars.

Super clean build btw
Hmm. Might throw it on ramps in a minute to take pics to update my thread for those interested. I don’t want to hijack this thread haha! No reso’s or glasspacks. All i have is an x pipe in the middle.

And thanks!
Old 02-20-19, 12:59 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
lol, yer gonna start breaking windows!
yeah..... Maybe! All in prep for the RR Supercharger eventually.
Old 02-20-19, 01:40 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by itsx

Super clean build btw
Check my build thread, added pics