Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to improve laggy shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 05:46 PM
LexusWhy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to improve laggy shifts?

Okay I have been looking through the forums but could not find a solid answer on.

If I solely want to improve the laggy shifts on my is350 what do you recommend?
1) Would something like the VR tune be effective? Or was this just a hoax overall?
2) Is there another (legit) OBDII device I could use to accomplish the same goal?

And just to confirm something: If I wanted to maximize acceleration, I would keep it in Drive (not sport) and switch the ECT to PWR switch correct?
Old 11-05-17, 07:36 AM
belac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to keep researching.

The paddle shift on our cars isn't shifting anything, it's solely a gear limiter.
The VRtune is a joke and there is currently nothing on the market to change anything with shift timing or shift points.
Old 11-05-17, 12:07 PM
LexusWhy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by belac
You might want to keep researching.

The paddle shift on our cars isn't shifting anything, it's solely a gear limiter.
The VRtune is a joke and there is currently nothing on the market to change anything with shift timing or shift points.

Hmm, what I feared. Thank you for the confirmation!

Do you know anything about which setting will yield the quickest acceleration?
ie drive+Pwr ect or sport+pwr ect+shifting gears yourself or what?
Old 11-08-17, 05:22 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusWhy
Hmm, what I feared. Thank you for the confirmation!

Do you know anything about which setting will yield the quickest acceleration?
ie drive+Pwr ect or sport+pwr ect+shifting gears yourself or what?
Sport causes the transmission to hang onto the gear a bit longer letting you get closer to red line. PWR makes the accelerator peddle more responsive to your foot where normal has some lag to reduce sudden acceleration to enhance gas mileage (or so they claim). Paddle shifting or manual shifting are the same exact thing. They limit the top gear. If you want max acceleration as fast as you can, then Pwr+paddle/manual shifting is best. Sport won't do much to help.
Old 11-08-17, 05:39 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Max accel = locking rear diff!
Old 11-09-17, 06:02 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Max acceleration I'd put it into sport and keep it in automatic imo. The paddles are delayed response so the automatic mode shifts faster and at more optimal points. Floor the brake pedal and build revs as high as it will go before it starts moving and launch the car. Prob want the best tires you can afford to maximize acceleration too. No tuner at the moment has fully solved the transmission delay thus far to my knowledge. OV Tuning had a tune with a handheld tuner with a beta transmission map but I've heard mixed reviews about it actually working or not, you can search the performance section for the thread. I think they may have discontinued the 2IS tune at the moment.
Old 01-09-18, 09:03 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
Max acceleration I'd put it into sport and keep it in automatic imo. The paddles are delayed response so the automatic mode shifts faster and at more optimal points. Floor the brake pedal and build revs as high as it will go before it starts moving and launch the car. Prob want the best tires you can afford to maximize acceleration too. No tuner at the moment has fully solved the transmission delay thus far to my knowledge. OV Tuning had a tune with a handheld tuner with a beta transmission map but I've heard mixed reviews about it actually working or not, you can search the performance section for the thread. I think they may have discontinued the 2IS tune at the moment.
Driving around in sport mode and in 5th setting. The transmission shifts down faster than in 6th. I only do this in city driving as my commute to work is only 11 miles.
Old 11-26-18, 05:56 PM
ZepSport
Driver School Candidate

Default VRtune IS250 FSport

Does anyone have any experience with the VRtune and the Factory warranty. I know they say they use factory mapping which is undetectable by the dealership. Has anyone installed this and been able to get it past the dealers knowing its tuned and voided the warranty? Is it really undetectable by the dealers service?