Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Possible Tranny Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 11:35 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Possible Tranny Problem..

As much as i hate to report any issues with my lexus i've noticed with in the last 2 months maybe 3 when i would take the car out the car would jerk between 40 and 60mph... seems to shift fine but when i'm doing 45 or get to around 60 the car literally does this jerk type moment..

I checked the fluid and its a nice cherry color.. i've done one drain and fill maybe last year sometime..

no strange RPM spikes or strange accelerations. Some mentioned maybe a solenoid or I'm thinking torque converter maybe...

any insight on this.. thanks
Old 03-17-16, 03:25 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,

I would check into your CAM or Crank sensors and/or harnesses going to them. This sounds like something with these parts could be failing. It starts like that intermittently and then happens more frequent at any speed. Then, when it gets real bad it will stall on you while your driving or coming to a stop. If the crank sensor goes it will eventually prevent the car from starting. Could also be the TPS, you may not get a code for any of these at first since I believe it has to happen frequently prior to throwing a CEL. My car had issues like this and found my bank 1 CAM sensor failed internally (oil was getting through to the electrical connector side and affecting the CAM signal. Replaced that and the Crank sensor because it was easy and for good measure.

Good luck
Old 03-17-16, 03:48 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

thanks Rock... i'm calling my local mechanic in the morning... Ive heard from 2 people that it cold be a solenoid.. Is there a way to check the sensors?
Old 03-17-16, 05:45 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

around those speeds the torque converter is usually locking up. its possible either its not fully engaging for some reason or the solenoid that controls line pressure to it is not good enough which is not engaging the clutch thats built into the torque converter. one way to test if its the converter is to drive the vehicle and get it to act up than while holding you foot on the gas pedal apply the brake a decent amount. that will tell the ecm to disengage the torque converter. if the shudder feeling goes away, than likely its coming from the converter itself or the lock up solenoid is malfunctioning. there is a way to test the electrical integrity of the lock up circuit from the ecm all the way to the solenoid itself. if it tests out too high an ohms reading than its either the wiring going to the trans. or the solenoid itself. which would than entail dropping the trans pan and unplugging the lockup solenoid than measuring the resistance right at the solenoid. whew
Old 03-18-16, 03:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by badblackgs
around those speeds the torque converter is usually locking up. its possible either its not fully engaging for some reason or the solenoid that controls line pressure to it is not good enough which is not engaging the clutch thats built into the torque converter. one way to test if its the converter is to drive the vehicle and get it to act up than while holding you foot on the gas pedal apply the brake a decent amount. that will tell the ecm to disengage the torque converter. if the shudder feeling goes away, than likely its coming from the converter itself or the lock up solenoid is malfunctioning. there is a way to test the electrical integrity of the lock up circuit from the ecm all the way to the solenoid itself. if it tests out too high an ohms reading than its either the wiring going to the trans. or the solenoid itself. which would than entail dropping the trans pan and unplugging the lockup solenoid than measuring the resistance right at the solenoid. whew
thanks for the reply... I'm driving the car this morning to go to appointment... I'll try the brake theory if the roads are clear lol... i hope its just a solenoid or something simple... i'm still under 75k miles...
Old 03-18-16, 06:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

.....i have a spare very low mileage transmission i need to remove from my garage fairly soon if you end up needing it. Put it on a pallet and ship it
Old 03-18-16, 06:43 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by sakataj
.....i have a spare very low mileage transmission i need to remove from my garage fairly soon if you end up needing it. Put it on a pallet and ship it
thanks i'll keep that in mind... Lets hope that i don't need to lol
Old 03-18-16, 12:07 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

ok... just got word from the mechanic and its a bad coil #2... also he said my spark plugs were loose... I guess with the vibrations of the engine but i just replaced those not to long ago and also at the time replaced a coil because i ripped it in two.. but this was a different coil..a little re leaved to say the least...
Old 03-18-16, 02:53 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good news Tony, I'm surprised you didn't feel any engine vibration at idle, usually a bad coil would eventually set the check engine light. I'm glad it wasn't the transmission going out though.
Old 03-18-16, 03:04 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I figured it wasn't mechanical related. I had a feeling it had something to do with the electrical/ignition system. Glad you found the problem.
Old 03-18-16, 03:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by clos430
That's good news Tony, I'm surprised you didn't feel any engine vibration at idle, usually a bad coil would eventually set the check engine light. I'm glad it wasn't the transmission going out though.
yea me to lol.... Ive been driving the last 2 days and it has been doing the same thing.. I'm also suprised the spark plugs were loose.. I tightened them to speck when i changed them over a year ago... but i'm getting the car tomorrow afternoon..

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I figured it wasn't mechanical related. I had a feeling it had something to do with the electrical/ignition system. Glad you found the problem.
thanks Rock.. hope all is well on your end in NY and your enjoying the Boost...