Something Quieter than Greddy Evo 3 (interior drone) - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Something Quieter than Greddy Evo 3 (interior drone)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-13, 08:56 AM   #1
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Something Quieter than Greddy Evo 3 (interior drone)

So I currently have the Greddy Evo 3 axle back installed on my wife's car which sounds awesome outside but the interior drone is way too LOUD! I'm trying to sell or trade the exhaust for something with less interior drone. (PM me if interested. brand new not even a 100 miles on it)

I'm leaning towards the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust or the Invidia Q300 but am open to suggestions.

I understand the interior drone is relative but at the end of the day all I really want is a more aggressive look (I really don't care about the sound)

Please help, any input is greatly appreciated. Seems like we can't even have a normal conversation in the interior cabin. The Greddy Evo 3 is driving us crazy/is awesome if it wasn't my wife's car. haha

cypress, CA

Last edited by LeXUsFeEVa; 04-01-13 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Title change
LeXUsFeEVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 09:08 AM   #2
laobo979
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (5)
 
laobo979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,282
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Wrong section this need to be in the classified not performance section.
laobo979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 09:35 AM   #3
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sorry about that. changed my title.....just looking to get some info on different exhaust. I have read the other threads and heard many clips. Video's don't seem to capture interior drone so just looking to CL members for input.
LeXUsFeEVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 02:44 PM   #4
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (13)
 
A_Grasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 626, SGV CA
Posts: 1,104
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Go with the Tanabe. You will have very little drone and your wife won't be annoyed by it
A_Grasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 03:36 PM   #5
iRyan
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
iRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Fl.
Posts: 3,453
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

the greddy spectrum is quiet..i have it now...and its too quiet
iRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 05:07 PM   #6
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRyan View Post
the greddy spectrum is quiet..i have it now...and its too quiet
I knew I should of got the spectrum. I just like the look of the Evo 3. Didn't really think it was going to be as loud as a catback being it's only an axle back exhaust.
LeXUsFeEVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 05:34 PM   #7
knguyenk
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 427
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust on my IS 250 AWD and it's easy to keep a conversation at any speed/RPM with my girlfriend (she likes hearing the note, the volume of the exhaust, and the fact that it doesn't drone or little if any).

For the audiophile in me, I can listen to 320kbps MP3 CD's at 10-12 in the city and 15-20 on the highway (depending on how soft a certain song can be) and about the same (if not a little less on the highway side) when I use the bluetooth streaming device on the AUX jack.

When I decided on an exhaust, I made sure that the level of drone was acceptable by searching the forums. I think the F-Sport would of drove me nuts if I got that (I didn't know it droned) and would of hunted for the HKS Lexus exhaust instead. However, I'm very happy with my Tanabe and have no regrets.
knguyenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 06:21 PM   #8
reyoasian
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
reyoasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

reyoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 06:23 PM   #9
reyoasian
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
reyoasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyenk View Post
I have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust on my IS 250 AWD and it's easy to keep a conversation at any speed/RPM with my girlfriend (she likes hearing the note, the volume of the exhaust, and the fact that it doesn't drone or little if any).

For the audiophile in me, I can listen to 320kbps MP3 CD's at 10-12 in the city and 15-20 on the highway (depending on how soft a certain song can be) and about the same (if not a little less on the highway side) when I use the bluetooth streaming device on the AUX jack.

When I decided on an exhaust, I made sure that the level of drone was acceptable by searching the forums. I think the F-Sport would of drove me nuts if I got that (I didn't know it droned) and would of hunted for the HKS Lexus exhaust instead. However, I'm very happy with my Tanabe and have no regrets.
lol the fsport and lexus hks doesn't drone, it's more of mid-high rpm
even with a megan midpipe the interior drone is quieter than my evo3 alone, however loud as f*** from outside
the hks hipower and greddy evo3 are like low-rpm, and deep deep rumble sound that's why it drone

@op: any canister muffler exhaust will be loud
you've got basically 4 options if you want a quiet exhaust
1. tanabe mt (had it, it does drone after driving for a while and engine warms up, but from outside barely hear anything so not very balanced)
2. greddy se/sp (never had it but heard it in person and similar to tanabe)
3. fujitsubo (no experience)
4. lexus hks (never had it but heard it in person and i like it the most out of this list, but good luck finding used)

or if you're baller, go for a wald quad-tip...actually very quiet considering it's a quad tip exhaust, doesn't sound as aggressive as it looks

Last edited by reyoasian; 04-01-13 at 06:27 PM.
reyoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 11:32 AM   #10
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Greddy SP vs Tanabe Medallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
lol the fsport and lexus hks doesn't drone, it's more of mid-high rpm
even with a megan midpipe the interior drone is quieter than my evo3 alone, however loud as f*** from outside
the hks hipower and greddy evo3 are like low-rpm, and deep deep rumble sound that's why it drone

@op: any canister muffler exhaust will be loud
you've got basically 4 options if you want a quiet exhaust
1. tanabe mt (had it, it does drone after driving for a while and engine warms up, but from outside barely hear anything so not very balanced)
2. greddy se/sp (never had it but heard it in person and similar to tanabe)
3. fujitsubo (no experience)
4. lexus hks (never had it but heard it in person and i like it the most out of this list, but good luck finding used)

or if you're baller, go for a wald quad-tip...actually very quiet considering it's a quad tip exhaust, doesn't sound as aggressive as it looks
thanks for the input! Okay making another purchase tomorrow. Debating between:
1. Greddy SP Elite
2. Tanabe Medallion

any input especially if you're currently rocking it is greatly appreciated. This is for my wife so interior drone is our biggest concern. Tips look similar from pictures but I've always been a fan of greddy.
LeXUsFeEVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 12:57 PM   #11
LeXUsFeEVa
Rookie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

what up CL...so I finally installed my new Gredyy SP Elite. It's like night and day compared to the Evo 3.

I definitely miss the rumble and sound of the Evo 3 but couldn't bare the interior drone. I'm debating about getting the invidia mid-pipe. I also have the Joe z intake installed.

Anyone know if the Invidia mid pipe would match up with the Greddy SP elite? also will I have a drone issue again? I'm looking for a better sound with no drone!

any input is greatly appreciated.
LeXUsFeEVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 08:04 AM   #12
misterlv
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

that sounds nice. i was reading on the invidia and its piping is 2.75 inches and our stock piping is 2.25 for the axle back how does that even work? why would they make something that will leak and not link up?
misterlv is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good sound, but no in-cabin drone mutually exclusive? starbai Performance 16 05-03-16 01:44 PM
Greddy Evo3 - Rattle at 2k RPM under load cdo221 Performance 5 07-31-14 10:38 AM
HKS hi power or Greddy Evo3 exhaust system kwanye Performance 4 06-29-13 09:28 PM
Greddy SP Elite Exhaust Drone? SCWB Performance 12 09-01-12 10:24 AM
ISF full exhausts - Joe Z vs ISS vs Borla anxiouz IS F (2008-2014) 49 07-25-12 07:21 PM


Tags
cabin , club , drone , evo , exhaust , greddy , high , interior , is250 , lexus , loud , mp3 , noise , rpm , sound

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: