Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 07:09 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Find HKS350 and good read.

I made a mistake in an earlier post...

For this setup, they are actually using port injection.
Old 05-12-12, 07:14 AM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HKS350
I have always loved this write up on the 2gr-fse and this will apply directly the the 2UR also in the IS-F

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbrief...1-114-1-17.pdf

It talks (pg18) about the design of the combustion chamber and the almost impossible task it was for Denso/ yahama to produce a DI injector for this motor.

These are also sleaved blocks, so power output may reach double but much over that will produce broken rods.

The 2JZ has a solid deck. That happens to be cast iron. This is the difference also.

I predict from my magic ball that the head gasket will blow from the bottom end moving around, a condition caused by the open deck alu. Block design.

This motor will never be a powerhouse because of these very design flaws. And the same applies to the ISF motor. Sorry but look at all open deck designs that may apply to anything north of 700hp. You'll see motors that fail often

Hate away fellla's......
Good read, but all this DI headache for a whopping 7% increase over the FE engine (and don't forget the "Lexus Sounds"!). I forget sometimes that we're dealing with Japanese engineers, who have a different mindset on a number of things. They like to do things "just to prove they can," where American engineers are most often driven by the demands of the bean-counters.

The DVVT-i 1GR-FE in the wife's 4Runner sounds like a better candidate for FI than this "performance" motor.

As for open vs. closed deck, you might be on to something. I doubled HP on an EJ20 and I suspect that block sees a fair bit more squirm than any V block. I also think that this motor has some kind of reinforcement in there.
Old 05-12-12, 07:19 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
This motor will never be a powerhouse because of these very design flaws. And the same applies to the ISF motor. Sorry but look at all open deck designs that may apply to anything north of 700hp. You'll see motors that fail often

Hate away fellla's......

why you gotta **** in the lemonade???

just messin, facts is facts
Old 05-12-12, 07:11 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You realize the rav4 is FWD right? so it's not gonna mate with anything. It's the 2GR-FE, same engine as used in the ES350, RX350, Avalon, Camry, and other FWD Toyota/Lexus offerings.

And if you were doing an engine swap you might as well just put a 2JZ in there.
So what if it's FWD and AWD, the only thing that matters is the bolt pattern on the bell housing?! Even the 3SGTE can be converted to RWD!
Old 05-12-12, 08:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
So what if it's FWD and AWD, the only thing that matters is the bolt pattern on the bell housing?! Even the 3SGTE can be converted to RWD!
The 3SGTE was actually used on some RWD cars FWIW

The 2GR-FE is a transverse mounted V6 used only in FWD applications.... certainly you could convert it to fit/work in a RWD car... but I'm not sure why you would. If bothering to do an engine swap for power why wouldn't you swap in a way stronger RWD engine like a 2JZ-GTE?
Old 05-14-12, 06:43 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

The 2GR would be staying within the "same" family of V6 engines whereas the 2JZ, would be much more difficult to fit, weigh more, affect the weight distribution/handling (unless you do some cutting) and be more difficult. Unless that's you're intended direction.

Of course, you'll gain the use of a manual trans with more modifications,....etc,...etc. Having stuffed a Jaguar 4.2L straight six with auto and E-Type independent rear end in the back of a Morris Marina I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to do major mods.

The intent of my suggestion is to keep it as simple and straight forward as possible... it may be easier to just trade up to an F. But,....you'd just have another F
Old 05-14-12, 08:09 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubfoot
... it may be easier to just trade up to an F. But,....you'd just have another F
Well said Sir.
Old 05-15-12, 10:15 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Really ? 8 speed and paddle shifters ? and this 448whp to 600whp possibilities .
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-a-newbie.html
Old 10-01-13, 09:33 PM
JDSmith7o2
Driver School Candidate

bump. + has destrocking already been covered? if not would it make a plausable route? its been done to an ser spec v to produce roughly 600hp.
Old 10-02-13, 08:40 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I think de-stroking the engine is a complete non-starter. The reason you de-stroke an engine is to reduce the speed of the pistons and thus load on the rotating assembly (rods mostly) at high engine RPM, which gives the mechanicals in the engine the ability to rev higher without breaking.

By doing so you inherently give up some torque. How are you going use the ability to rev higher to make up that deficit?

Last edited by WylieKylie; 09-09-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 05:32 PM
4grDrvr
Driver School Candidate

Great build! sad someone had to take it away from you...
Old 09-04-14, 09:39 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need some help I'm planning on installing mapecu on my is350 but need help in regards to the harness jumper I'm going have made for me. How long did you have them make the harness for you? And second where did you locate the mapecu??
Old 03-23-22, 05:59 AM
djr48312
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With MAPECU3 I was seeing many are removing the O2's, but wouldn't MAPECU3 allow you to tune your closed loop operation to not be in stoich ( 14.7:1 ) to something better for boost such as 13:1 or so?
Old 03-30-22, 08:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Did the op who started this thread ever get back to the Dyno and get the new numbers?
Old 04-23-22, 08:44 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a mapecu3 in case I want to do turbo piggyback. It seems easy to tune and does have features to lock the O2 voltage into the stock ECU and try to keep the mapecu in control.

It does control the ignition coils directly which helps in tuning....

Quick Reply: MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno