Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mobile 1 ATF

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 10:30 PM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 ATF

Just an FYI Mobil 1 users...
So I went to serveral autopart stores in my area today and found no Mobile 1 ATF...did some research and this is what I came up with...

From ExxonMobil:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF has not been recalled. It is, however, temporarily
unavailable for sale in the state of California. We can assure you that
there are no performance or safety concerns with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
ExxonMobil stands behind this product. Thank you for your interest and
loyalty."
There was a chemical in the ATF that is not legal for sale in CA.
Old 01-31-11, 10:56 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only use Toyota Type IV ATF!
Old 01-31-11, 11:17 PM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Only use Toyota Type IV ATF!
Well I was looking for the Mobile 1 ATF for my brothers 72 Blazer and I just wanted to let people know but I cant lie, he swears by it and it did cross my mind to throw it im my GS4 but I guess maybe not? Why? What have you heard?
Old 02-01-11, 09:39 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXO951
Well I was looking for the Mobile 1 ATF for my brothers 72 Blazer and I just wanted to let people know but I cant lie, he swears by it and it did cross my mind to throw it im my GS4 but I guess maybe not? Why? What have you heard?
People are on the OEM or nothing bandwagon, especially for something that might potentially damage something expensive like the Tranny.

That being said, T-IV is ancient in fluid technology, and at this day and time, not really that "special" anymore. There have been so many improvements in synthetic motor oils and additive packages that no one questions, butit follows that similar improvements have trickled into ATF lubricants. Note that even Toyota has changed over to WS fluid acknowledging the advancements in lubrication.
What T-IV does have on a positive side is that it's cheap.

I personally was thinking about going with MaxLife ATF which is full synthetic and meets specs for T-IV *AND WS* (whereas mobil1 is T-IV only) and easy to obtain at parts stores rather then dealers. It costs $5-6/quart and sometimes cheaper when on sale. Meanwhile, Mobil1 or Amsoil you're looking at $7-9 and have to deal with MLM with amsoil.

However, my order at parts.com that I thought was cancelled ended up actually going through, so I have a case of T-IV on it's way to work through for 2 Lexii. At T-IV prices though, I'll just do an ATF d/f every oil change.

It is the same strategy of dino/synthetic for motor oil. For the same cost, you could just change out your motor oil 2x with dino, or 1x with synthetic, but you will also have to change more frequently.

With completely fresh ATF, will your tranny perhaps be slightly smoother with synthetic? Maybe, but it also depends just how sensitive you are to detect minute changes with your car and if that justifies the extra price.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-01-11 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 09:55 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

There have been documented cases where people use something different than Toyota Type IV and their tranny's have failed prematurely. Do the research and you'll find out that toyota transmissions are VERY temperamental. So why not just use something that's designed for toyota's? There's no improvement by using other synthetic fluids.
Old 02-01-11, 10:28 PM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

There have been documented cases where people use something different than Toyota Type IV and their tranny's have failed prematurely. Do the research and you'll find out that toyota transmissions are VERY temperamental. So why not just use something that's designed for toyota's? There's no improvement by using other synthetic fluids.
Ok, I understand what you mean OEM, OEM, but you are ok using Mobil 1 synthetic (^^"There's no improvement by using other synthetic fluids"^^) in your enigine or diff right? I'm guessing due to it being listed on your signature.
Old 02-01-11, 10:42 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Are those cases from the past where people using something completely not T-IV compatible? Or did it actually say T-IV on the bottle and still failed (only within last few years these have come out).

Regardless, there's also plenty of cases of people using Type IV, and the fluid has burned up causing their tranny to fail too (granted some are due to customer neglect, but also when changed on Toyota schedule). On BITOG, plenty of people are unhappy with the quick wear of Type IV and is documented with used oil analysis.
Whatever logic you use for your choice of engine oils applies to the tranny too-specifically for an older spec mineral-based fluid.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-01-11 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 10:43 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXO951
Ok, I understand what you mean OEM, OEM, but you are ok using Mobil 1 synthetic (^^"There's no improvement by using other synthetic fluids"^^) in your enigine or diff right? I'm guessing due to it being listed on your signature.
Oh no. Don't get me wrong! I use Mobil 1 fluids everywhere else except for the tranny. Tranny fluid and coolant are the only two things i use OEM on. Everything else is Mobil 1. Oil, oil filter, diff fluid etc...

It's just that i've read a few stories about people using other ATF then Type IV and running into problems. I just don't see a reason why NOT to use it.
Old 02-01-11, 11:13 PM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Oh no. Don't get me wrong! I use Mobil 1 fluids everywhere else except for the tranny. Tranny fluid and coolant are the only two things i use OEM on. Everything else is Mobil 1. Oil, oil filter, diff fluid etc...

It's just that i've read a few stories about people using other ATF then Type IV and running into problems. I just don't see a reason why NOT to use it.
Well I havent had a problems with the oem Toyota fluid in my tranny yet so

I did buy Mobil 1 Motor oil + filter & Mobil 1 diff gear oil BTW.
Old 02-01-11, 11:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Toyota T-IV is indeed old tech. It's nothing special really. It's basically Dexron fluid with friction modifier to give you that soft engagement. The only reason why I still use T-IV is because it's the cheapest out of all the ATF available for me. $3.50/bottle is a good deal considering most other fluids I've found at $5-6/bottle.
Old 02-01-11, 11:16 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using fully synthetic mobil tranny fluid since forever... no problem at all.
Old 02-01-11, 11:30 PM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sam430
I've been using fully synthetic mobil tranny fluid since forever... no problem at all.
Did you slowly phase our your oem toyota tranny fluid with Mobile 1, example changing tranny fluid with every oil change? Or did you do a complete tranny oil change including TC which is what i'm planning on. I figure "since forever" it's probably all Mobil 1 by now anywayz.

Do or did you notice any changes in normal/accelerated upshifts or tranny downshifts while WOT?
Old 02-01-11, 11:35 PM
LEXO951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Toyota T-IV is indeed old tech. It's nothing special really. It's basically Dexron fluid with friction modifier to give you that soft engagement. The only reason why I still use T-IV is because it's the cheapest out of all the ATF available for me. $3.50/bottle is a good deal considering most other fluids I've found at $5-6/bottle.
So would you use Mobil 1 in your tranny if the price wasnt an issue? Or do you stand by "if it aint broke why fix it"? <maybe not best example...
Old 02-02-11, 06:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If it's compatibile with T-IV fluid then I wouldn't hesitate. I trust Mobil when they say it's compatible because they make the Toyota T-IV fluid so they should know what works and what doesn't. . I use to run Amsoil ATF in my car and it was fine also.
Old 02-08-11, 05:44 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

How often do you guys on average change tranny fluid out, I mean the factory recommended service intervals end at around 150k mile correct. I dont know I dont have an owners manual. Also I aggree with the t-iv fluid just in the fact that just as t-iv is old technology so are our trannies they where made in the time of t-iv and are still spec'd for it unless you rebuilt your tranny and upgraded to todays specs.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 ATF