Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELPPP! Engine check light flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 07:11 PM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELPPP! Engine check light flashing!

Something really weird/bad happened to my 2000 GS300 last night...I got some gas (shell 93 premium) and i felt the car jerking after i started the engine. so I opened my hood and feel this bad jerking...so i talked to this guy and he told me i probably just got some bad gas and recommended me octane booster. i added that into the gas tank and no luck. when i started to leave the gas station, the engine check light started flashing and VSC also came on...
after i drove it for a while the engine check flash/jerking are both gone but the engine light/VSC are still on. anyone know what might have been the problem? it sucked that it had to happen on new years eve on the highway on the way to a party...ended up not going since it was too far.

some info that may help: my car has been doing small jerk's when i'm going downhill occasionally (last night was constant jerk's)...just got my oil changed not too long ago, was fine on a 4 hour trip and back. i'm afraid it's something bad. let me know, thank you guys! and happy new year! (not so happy for me...so far)
Old 01-01-10, 10:15 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Find out if the station has had any other reports of this happening (and do it asap) We reported on the news about something VERY similar happening here and come to find out that some how the gas was mixed with water (not stations fault) in any event, they have insurance and well everyone who had proof of purchase (hopefully you payed with a card ) got a engine overhaul also, once the CEL begins to blink, you MUSTN'T drive it in order to prevent any further damage

good luck.
Old 01-02-10, 02:07 AM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

the check engine light is not blinking anymore...do you think i can still do minimal driving? also that gas station is pretty busy but why am i the only one affected?...if i take it to the mechanic, what will be done? i need to estimate the cost...let me know, thanks!
Old 01-02-10, 08:52 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to autozone, have them try to pull the check engine light code (its free). Take it from there... Nobody can do anything but guess what is wrong without the codes.
Old 01-02-10, 09:45 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Go to autozone, have them try to pull the check engine light code (its free). Take it from there... Nobody can do anything but guess what is wrong without the codes.
without codes, nothing can be done...
Old 01-02-10, 10:30 AM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

ok thanks, i'll go get the ob test asap. but my main concern is whether i should even drive it anymore...since the check engine light WAS blinking, but no anymore...just on now.
Old 01-02-10, 11:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The CEL only blinks when there is a severe misfire or malfunction. If the CEL is just solid, then that means theres a small problem. Blinking = big issue. I'm guessing the fuel was probably bad if it's causing a severe misfire after filling up.

If I were you, pump out all of the old fuel out of the tank(either DIY or take it to a mechanic) and then refill with a new batch from a known good station. Have the old stuff on hand in a tank and take some of it to the gas station. Don't give them all of it, have some at home so you have further evidence. Then demand some kind of compensation for time lost and whatever your mechanic charges you to drain the tank and refill.
Old 01-02-10, 02:06 PM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

got the OB test result: P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire, also cylinder 1, 3, and 5 misfire as well...the weird thing is, after the guy from autozone ran the test, my CEL is off as well as the VSC...don't know what to do...i should get some tune-up's anyway.
Old 01-02-10, 04:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

could this be a variable valve timing solonoid going out?

anybody?
Old 01-02-10, 04:49 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

wow lately i have seen a lot of these codes pop up on here, including myself. there probably was some bad gas out, if anything drain that tank and fill up somewhere else with fuel injector cleaner or seafoam. it took me about 3 tank fulls 1 with seafoam to finally get it back to normal.
Old 01-02-10, 09:11 PM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

what do you mean by normal? as in your CEL is gone? mine is gone after running the ob test...i don't know what to do...help!!
Old 01-27-10, 07:15 PM
Losaun
Driver

Hey guys I have a G1 and i just installed a new engine. When I check the codes the engine light just blinks all the way past 100..Any ideas
Old 02-02-10, 09:51 PM
r979234
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Help CEL Flashing as well

Originally Posted by chuckli
Something really weird/bad happened to my 2000 GS300 last night...I got some gas (shell 93 premium) and i felt the car jerking after i started the engine. so I opened my hood and feel this bad jerking...so i talked to this guy and he told me i probably just got some bad gas and recommended me octane booster. i added that into the gas tank and no luck. when i started to leave the gas station, the engine check light started flashing and VSC also came on...
after i drove it for a while the engine check flash/jerking are both gone but the engine light/VSC are still on. anyone know what might have been the problem? it sucked that it had to happen on new years eve on the highway on the way to a party...ended up not going since it was too far.

some info that may help: my car has been doing small jerk's when i'm going downhill occasionally (last night was constant jerk's)...just got my oil changed not too long ago, was fine on a 4 hour trip and back. i'm afraid it's something bad. let me know, thank you guys! and happy new year! (not so happy for me...so far)
Hello, I have a 2000 GS300 and my car just started doing the same thing. It started with a very jerky idle then progressed into the above quoted symptoms. CEL came on then started flashing, then went back to solid. The VSC lights are on and staying on, and is very sluggish running as if it is misfiring on several cylinders. Have you found any answers to the problem. Anything Please Help!!
Old 02-15-10, 12:50 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem!! Same codes same symptoms. Anyone know what this is? Bad gas? Mine was fine when I drove home from NY to VA. (Just bought it). Maybe condisation in the fuel tank? Should I get some dry gas and try that?
Old 02-15-10, 05:09 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

Seafoam and a fresh tank of gas and it is now running great!!

Quick Reply: HELPPP! Engine check light flashing!