Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aem fic -8 install!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 08:16 AM
velella
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aem fic -8 install!

ok guys, i just bought a fic -8 and will be installing it next week. ive been reading alot about this stuff from you guys and have a few questions.

1.) i see you guys have been confused about the o2 sensors, what o2's do i do what with, i see people saying different things.

2.) where are you guys mounting your fic?

3.) what else do i need to buy to et rid of the maf? i know its easy to do with the fic but i dont know what else i need.

im installing this a month before my turbo install, so is there anything else i should do before the install? im going to just keep the stock tune so i think im going to keep all the settings on the fic at 0?

also can the fic -8 change the injectors, like high and low imp? i wanna know if my extra set of 550cc injectors from a gte will work now in the 99gs300
Old 01-28-09, 11:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

check this post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...c-install.html
Old 01-28-09, 12:25 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought the fic 8 channel was for 8cyl engines....
Old 01-28-09, 10:14 PM
velella
Driver

is can control up to 8 injectors, its the higher model that can do boost control and crap.i got a great deal on one so i didn't pass it up!
Old 01-28-09, 10:20 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. the o2 map is used for fine tuning your fuel map. It's to tamper with the o2 voltage output to compensate for the extra fuel you might be adding in the fuel map.
2. behind the driver side headlight. I should have made an extended harness for it though and mount it elsewhere.
3. don't get rid of the maf. long story short but you will not be able to drive the car as long as you're still using the stock ecu.
4. i have a sticky thread on clubna-t in the fic section about this already.
5. search my posts on clubna-t and you will find most answers.

maf != karmen vortex. the vvti gte actually uses a maf sensor believe it or not.
Old 01-29-09, 08:59 AM
velella
Driver

wait the vvti ge is a karman vortex??? i thought that was only the non vvti's. and alot of people told me you could eliminate the maf and go to a map sensor instead. why cant you do this?
Old 01-29-09, 09:09 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by velella
wait the vvti ge is a karman vortex??? i thought that was only the non vvti's. and alot of people told me you could eliminate the maf and go to a map sensor instead. why cant you do this?
!= means not equal. it's a computer programming term sorry for the misunderstanding. I was trying to point out that the MAF actually has the ability to tune for a boosted system, unlike KV which just totally craps out.

As long as you're automatic, your vvti ge ecu will be using the maf to determine shift points; without it your ecu cannot really shift properly. Also, your gas tank gauge would be off because that also uses the maf. The maf itself actually has an air intake temp sensor, but if you're good with wiring you can just wire in a separate AIT.

Since you're running a low psi, i would assume the CFM won't really exceed the maf's reading ability by too much to go through all this trouble just to use a map sensor. Just make sure that your ecu doesn't go into a static tune mode by capping the MAF voltage at 4.7V. If you insist on using a map sensor, you will have to:

1. make a MAF voltage table in the FIC that converts your MAP sensor reading to MAF voltages output to the ecu.
2. AIT sensor
3. wiring necessary

edit: come to think of it, you could just keep the MAF in the system for AIT's sake, and use the fic map sensor to tune. Getting the MAF voltage table output exactly how it should be is a very daunting task though. Someone did it with a supra non-vvti the thread shoudl still be around on the aem forums.

Last edited by ElitistK; 01-29-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 09:12 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

kenny, what's the limit as far as boost pressure on the stock GE maf?
Old 01-29-09, 11:30 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

it's very hard to say because i never tried it out. the key of tuning a piggyback is that you are relying on the fact that the ecu goes into open loop when you go WOT. As long as you are WOT, the MAF reading could be capped at 4.7V and you can add additional fuel in the corresponding PSI level in the fuel table without upsetting the ECU fuel trims. For anything other than WOT, i would just keep the MAF and let the ecu do most of its work.
Old 01-29-09, 12:21 PM
velella
Driver

wow, yea awesome info, i never would have thought about the maf and shift points! i think ill be keeping the maf for now just because im at low boost so until i turn it up alot more i will probably just keep it.

anyone know if the fic can control water meth?
Old 01-29-09, 12:22 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by velella
wow, yea awesome info, i never would have thought about the maf and shift points! i think ill be keeping the maf for now just because im at low boost so until i turn it up alot more i will probably just keep it.

anyone know if the fic can control water meth?
the switch 12Vdc output is your best friend. It has 1.2A more than enough to trigger most relay setups.