Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

First Step....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 12:06 AM
MisterCam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Step....

Ok, so i've had my is300 for a couple of weeks now and i wanna start puttin some kind of mods on it. I just started a new job so money flow isnt that big. So i was wondering what you guys think would be a good first part that i could get, thats good and kind of cheap.
Old 07-18-07, 06:25 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MisterCam
Ok, so i've had my is300 for a couple of weeks now and i wanna start puttin some kind of mods on it. I just started a new job so money flow isnt that big. So i was wondering what you guys think would be a good first part that i could get, thats good and kind of cheap.
No one can really tell you what your first mod should be. It all depends on what you're after. You know, are you after performance, looks, audio, wheels, etc. From there you need to set a max budget and do some research to find the best quality parts for your budget. Beyond that, its simple.
Old 07-18-07, 05:55 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get out all your credit cards and start maxing them out. No just kidding, that is the last thing you should do. Apex is right though, it is all personal preference. Once real piece of advice I will give you and I am sure that many of my fellow ClubLexus members would back me up on this. Make sure that you buy quality parts that you can afford and are right for what you are trying to accomplish. For example, if you would like to lower your car and have the adjustablity that coilovers provide do not buy the most expensive ones on the market. Do some research and find out what the best ones for YOU are. If you have questions and cannot find answers then ask here on the forums and then evaluate the information you get from us. Doing this will eliminate wasted funds and buying parts that are inferior or above your needs. Good luck and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.
Old 07-18-07, 11:19 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

Alright, thanks guys. So i made this list w/ parts
SRT Intake, Blitz Nur Spec or Greddy Evo2 cat exhaust, hyper voltage system. Any objections to these? like if you guys have personally had these and dealt with problems, thanks again.
Old 07-19-07, 05:04 AM
BernieIS

Originally Posted by MisterCam
Alright, thanks guys. So i made this list w/ parts
SRT Intake, Blitz Nur Spec or Greddy Evo2 cat exhaust, hyper voltage system. Any objections to these? like if you guys have personally had these and dealt with problems, thanks again.
I would definitely go with the SRT Intake. Apex has the Greddy and loves it. I have the HKS Dragger and love it. I am quite sure that the Blitz would be very exceptable also. The hyper voltage I would not feel comfortable giving advice on this item. I have never looked into something like this. Good Luck, any other questions feel free.

Last edited by BernieIS; 08-26-07 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-14-07, 08:49 PM
RevrseAt70
Driver School Candidate

I'm also looking into my first upgrades. I'm going with the srt intake, dragger ll's and some headers. If you are wondering about how different exhaust systems sound you should look on youtube.
Old 08-18-07, 11:41 AM
jas300hp
Driver School Candidate

I have a question with SRT intake. Is it common to have “Check Engine light” problem or any “indicator light problem” that is tie with having SRT intake? Also what do you guys think of Tanabe Medalion Concept G Catback Exhaust????

Plans: SRT intake + Tanabe Concept G + Headers w/ down pipe = $1500 +

Just for daily driving but only problem is having it SMOG LEGAL in CAli.

ONE More Thing!! SRT Torque Converter is it worth getting? $845
Old 08-19-07, 05:29 PM
BernieIS

From what I understand in order to make headers worth doing you must also change out the exhaust cam, otherwise you will loose power.
Old 08-20-07, 05:51 PM
m3thod
Driver School Candidate

Depending on the header yes you might loose some low end. Same with a cat back or axel back exhaust.

My suggestion is go with the mazzuri header / ypipe which has been dyno'd to give 22whp and 24wtq on stock b-pipe back. Also done on an Auto. The only problem would be passing SMOG because you won't have any more cats. I don't know how Cali does it but if you get an o2 sim it will get rid of the CEL. If they actually test your exhaust you will definitely fail.

Then you can get an axel back exhaust like the HKS Hiper and you can probably squeeze a few more hp there. You might gain close to 10 hp with the axel back, but you will loose some torque.

For intake I would go with the Joe-Z with a drop in filter cause spending the extra money on the SRT intake is only going to give you an extra 1 or 2 hp. Plus if you get a SAFC or emanage down the road your SRT piggy back will be worthless.

If you have any money left you can always get an exhaust cam and SAFC to tune it a little, but as far as straight bolt-ons that's the most you will get for your money IMO.
Old 08-20-07, 06:39 PM
BernieIS

Sounds like good sound advice. I have not looked into it that much, just what I have heard.
Old 08-21-07, 09:23 AM
MisterCam
Rookie

very nice.....i'm still learning lol,
Old 09-18-07, 10:31 AM
lexusB3
Pole Position

Default learning

hey how you doing im in a similar situation i just got my is and i got intake nd hearders so far. i want more performace but at a good price i done have a alot of income but it comes in.. I am more a performance freak and i was wondering anyone have any other ideas..should i re flash the computer or wat any ideas on was should i do next..!!???? thanks lots yu guys always help lol
Old 09-20-07, 05:14 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

what type of intake and headers do ya got? Mazzuri headers are so far the best, theres a group buy on my.is if ya wanna get rid of yours and get the [B]best[B] headers for the buck, lol. and srt intake is also the best intake for the is, coming with a race ecu. im also into performance too, all i can think so far for me is srt intake,mazzuri headers, tanabe concept g exhaust, and probably a grounding kit and then idk what else. lol maybe suspension, possible 3.4l stroker kit later on. get on my.is theres a lot more forums there for more help and answers