Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VDIM fundamentals -- Think you know??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 07:23 AM
2IS808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDIM fundamentals -- Think you know??

I got a question for anyone who thinks they can answer a very technical problem.. . I know for the 07 2IS u can turn VDIM (traction control??) on/off with a switch. Which would make this conversion so much easier. However I was badass enough to get a 2IS in 05 (yea right...)... which means i got the 06 version. Heres where i need some help.. I was thinking to myself.. Damm i wanna be ganster and run 19x9's in the front and 20's x10.5 in the rear.. If the tire rotation of the front wheels differes from that of the rear wheels; will it cause the traction control to constantly beep at me like when your tires slip (since its registering as different rotation ratio's)? The left and right sides will be in sync.. just not the front and rear.. So I guess my question is where VDIM takes it's measurements.. From the front tires vs. the rear tires?? or if the rear left tire differs from the rear right tire?? Any technical advise would be greatefully appreciated. Thanks --
Old 03-03-07, 11:53 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

It would probably beep at you all the time, yes. Your only hope is probably to do the pedal dance to disable VDIM on the 06s.
Old 03-05-07, 06:17 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

and don't run a staggered diameter setup. there is no point on a car like this and it won't come out looking great. run a 19x10.5 in the back and you'll have a fat wheel filling up a lot of space with a beautiful lip.
Old 03-05-07, 06:37 AM
DKB
Rookie

My bud just did 19s in the front 20s in the rear no probs yet...
And it looks SHWEEEET
Old 03-06-07, 08:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd like to know if there is a way to convert the 06 IS350 to the setup of the 07 IS350 so I can disable the T/C without doing the damn pedal dance. Really becomes a pain in the **** when at the track.
Old 03-06-07, 08:21 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Be patient. I'm working on it.
Old 03-06-07, 09:29 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i was just thinking about that cayman, good to hear lobux
Old 03-06-07, 11:26 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Another thumbs up for Lobux. I hope he figures it out.
Old 03-06-07, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I'm just waiting for a unit to be available to test. It shouldn't be too long.
Old 03-14-07, 10:43 AM
mpol99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm just waiting for a unit to be available to test. It shouldn't be too long.
Good luck, I REALLY hope you can figure it out!
Old 03-18-07, 12:15 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

On the 07 IS350 you can disable the T/C by holdng he button down for ten seconds, both lights will be lit. It will not come on again until you push the button or turn off the car.
Old 03-18-07, 11:53 AM
2IS808
Rookie

I kow that the 07's have the option to turn it off using the switch. However the 06 models do not. I havent ordered the rims yet because i want to make sure its really the purchase i want. Running 19's in the front and 20's in the rear will make my car have a natural aggressive baseline stance. Coupled with coilovers that will make it look sweet. Plus my rims + stretched tires are almost $5,700 and they will take 90 days since they are special ordered. I guess im gonna just wait and see if anything develops for us 06 IS owners. Props to lobux for trying to figure this problem out and laying the foundation for future peeps with the same desires.
Old 04-08-07, 07:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The answer is here.

Installing the '07 skid control ECU in an '06 car will allow the '06 owner to turn VSC off with just a press (and hold) of the switch. It does not turn back on at 30 mph, and you have the same freedom as if you had done the pedal dance.

HOWEVER - the display indicates VSC Test Mode AND the infamous master MIL (the red triangle) lights up and they STAY ON as long as you have the VSC disabled. So you can have the functionality, but you can't have it without a warning light being lit and the master display being interrupted by the VSC test message. You can acknowledge the message and see your display for a very short time, but the master MIL and test message will pop back up every few seconds. It is much like the TPMS warning that won't go away, EXCEPT it ONLY happens when you press and hold the traction control switch for more than 3 seconds to turn off VSC. If you quickly press the button, you get TRAC (traction control) off until you hit 30 mph, just like the old set up. You can also turn either the TRAC or the VSC on and off with the switch. No need to restart the car to get the VSC or TRAC back on.

Much thanks to Sacramento Lexus for giving me the opportunity to test this.

I will not entertain negative discussions about this subject. I am providing this information for those who are interested in knowing if changing the skid control ECU will allow them to turn off VSC with the switch instead of doing the pedal dance.
Old 04-08-07, 07:17 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The answer is here.

Installing the '07 skid control ECU in an '06 car will allow the '06 owner to turn VSC off with just a press (and hold) of the switch. It does not turn back on at 30 mph, and you have the same freedom as if you had done the pedal dance.

HOWEVER - the display indicates VSC Test Mode AND the infamous master MIL (the red triangle) lights up and they STAY ON as long as you have the VSC disabled. So you can have the functionality, but you can't have it without a warning light being lit and the master display being interrupted by the VSC test message. You can acknowledge the message and see your display for a very short time, but the master MIL and test message will pop back up every few seconds. It is much like the TPMS warning that won't go away, EXCEPT it ONLY happens when you press and hold the traction control switch for more than 3 seconds to turn off VSC. If you quickly press the button, you get TRAC (traction control) off until you hit 30 mph, just like the old set up. You can also turn either the TRAC or the VSC on and off with the switch. No need to restart the car to get the VSC or TRAC back on.

Much thanks to Sacramento Lexus for giving me the opportunity to test this.

I will not entertain negative discussions about this subject. I am providing this information for those who are interested in knowing if changing the skid control ECU will allow them to turn off VSC with the switch instead of doing the pedal dance.
WOW thanks for the very informative post Lobux! Now my question is how much does a new Skid control ECU cost and how hard is it to change out? I'm not even sure with that ECU is located. I can definitely deal with the master MIL lit up while the T/C is disabled. I am so sick and tired of doing the pedal dance at the track.
Old 04-08-07, 07:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It takes about 5 minutes to do the swap if you work slowly. You only need a 10mm socket on a short extension to remove the three screws holding in the skid control ECU. Everything else snaps apart/together.

The new ECU lists for $1492.94. It actually costs more than the engine ECM.
Attached Thumbnails VDIM fundamentals -- Think you know??-isx50-skid-control-ecu.jpg  

Quick Reply: VDIM fundamentals -- Think you know??