Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with ECU selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 06:01 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ECU selection

Well I feel like a broken record with this now. It seems like I have been going round and round with this for weeks. I thought I had found a safe reliable ECU solution to use I figured I could use the Split Second ECU if I didnt come up with anything else. But I spoke with them today and they said that they had issues when trying to install it on a GS400 in the past and that it would require some work to get it to run (hopefully) well I am done being a guinea pig so that is out. So now I have nothing in mind for my ECU.

I need some help with suggestions for proven solutions. Here are the specifics

I have a GS400 with a turbo
I want to run somewhere between 15 and 20 PSI. I have limited it to this becuause I dont want to deal with broken stuff and tweaking etc. Basically I just want it to run and run consistently for the long term.

I have larger injectors and low compression pistons 8.5:1
I need to control the fuel and the timing.
I want a daily driver not a race car. that means non tempermental.

Basically if someone out there has used an aftermarket ECU on a similar application with a GS400 I would love to hear about it.

somebody please help me.
Pleeeeezzzzzzzeeeeee

Oh and another thing I really dont want to spend 2K just getting it tuned so ease of tuning is important.
Old 04-28-05, 08:02 PM
Broadway
Rookie

Greddy Emanage sounds about good for what you need
Old 04-28-05, 08:15 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E-Manage won't work for your car. VVT-i and E-Manage is a no-no. The greddy unit will crap out with high horse applications and your stock ecu will refuse anymore data input that's trying to be piggybacked by the Greddy unit. Go to supraforums.com. A lot of people are exasperated by it and ended up removing them and go full-blown replacement ecu like the AEM and the Motec.

Your main problem is vvt-i. Since it's continuously "variable valve" your timing, it will automatically over time return whatever tuning you input to your ECU back to its normal stock condition. That means, ANY PIGGYBACK unit will be rendered useless against this system.

HKS makes a Valcon cam unit with the V-cam kit but that's only for the aristo V300. It allows you to change cams to 264in/264out configuration and it comes with a control unit to control the vvt-i. But again, this is useless since you don't own a V300.

Power Enterprises just debuted with a vvt-i control unit and I saw the yen price for it and it was only around $300usd. So that's not too bad. My guess is that this unit is kinda like Apex'i's V-AFC unit that's meant to control the vtec in honda engines. Again, I don't quite understand how this will work for your application. Especially since this is still a brand new untested unit in the market.

LASTLY, this is my suggestion. Go find a HKS approved dealer, piggyback a HKS F-CON V Pro unit and have them tune it in conjunction with your stock ECU (so you don't lose all your standard amenities). Almost all the big hp Aristos in Japan (with VVT-i) are piggybacking their ECUs (usually in conjuction with a TOM's TECS II unit or a Mine's VX-Rom unit) with the F-Con V Pro with a lot of success. The only bad side about this unit is that it can only be tuned by a HKS tuner, and the system is locked. So if you happen to be in the middle of nowhere, and somehow the FCon is malfunctioned, then you really are out of luck. You really would need to fly in a FCon tuner to bring your car back to life.

Having said that, I think this will still be your best route. The HKS F-CON V Pro is to Japanese tuners what AEM EMS is to Supra tuners in the US. Good luck...
Old 04-29-05, 04:42 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

If you run a piggyback with fuel and timing controls why couldnt you just let the stock ECU continue to manage the VVT? I guess I am not clear on why you would need the valcon unit unless you were running standalone which couldnt handle the VVT.
Old 04-29-05, 05:53 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I spoke with Gav from Seloc he is running a turbo IS300 with VVT and a haltech. He is very happy with it. The stock ECU still handles VVT brakes transmission etc. But the Haltech controls the fuel and timing.

Sounds like a possibillity.
Old 04-29-05, 06:36 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morris
I spoke with Gav from Seloc he is running a turbo IS300 with VVT and a haltech. He is very happy with it. The stock ECU still handles VVT brakes transmission etc. But the Haltech controls the fuel and timing.

Sounds like a possibillity.
If you check supraforums, basically what the guys are saying is any sort of timing (advanced/retard) that you input into your stock ECU through the piggyback unit will be cancelled out over time by the vvt-i system as it continously "fixes" itself back to factory setting.
Old 04-29-05, 06:41 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

ARe we talking the same thing here.

Ignition timing will be handled by the ECU but the VVT handles valve / Cam timing, so since they are two separate things how can one cancel out the other.
Old 04-29-05, 06:48 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I have heard that when using piggy backs the piggy back timing and fuel settings can be canceled out by the Cars ecu, perhaps that is what they are talking about.