Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1998 Lexus SC300 Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 03:31 PM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Lexus SC300 Traction Control

Im aware that this topic already has a thread n it but i was till confused. Im still a noob and a new lexus owner. My car has a place for traction control but theres not a button. I read somewhere else that if it doesnt have a button that means your car doesnt have traction control. I also read that if your car has the two fuses it does have traction control. I checked my car and i do have the two out of four fuses. I live in the state of Washington where we get a lot of snow and rain, im aware that i have the snow mode but i just want to make sure if i have traction control or how do you know for sure that you have it.
Old 08-30-17, 04:24 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy test....when you put the key in and turn to accessory...all the cluster lights turn on, do you see a "Trac" light? If not, either the bulb is dead (highly unlikely) or you dont have traction control. I think 97 they moved the button from the center console to the left knee area above the trunk release is.
Old 08-30-17, 04:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you not just simply tried monkeying around with the car and spinning the tires??? I know in the dry these cars don't really have enough power to properly lay a patch of rubber from a dead stop(unless you do a brake stand), but find an empty parking lot(I mean a HUGE one with no poles or curbs) and screw around a bit. Maybe wait until it rains so you don't burn your tires off.
Old 08-30-17, 05:09 PM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Easy test....when you put the key in and turn to accessory...all the cluster lights turn on, do you see a "Trac" light? If not, either the bulb is dead (highly unlikely) or you dont have traction control. I think 97 they moved the button from the center console to the left knee area above the trunk release is.
I didn't see no trac light and i know what your talking about the button being by your left knee i have the spot for the button but i dont actually have it
Old 08-30-17, 05:12 PM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Have you not just simply tried monkeying around with the car and spinning the tires??? I know in the dry these cars don't really have enough power to properly lay a patch of rubber from a dead stop(unless you do a brake stand), but find an empty parking lot(I mean a HUGE one with no poles or curbs) and screw around a bit. Maybe wait until it rains so you don't burn your tires off.
the reason why i had the suspicion of not having traction control was i was driving and my car was in power mode and made a u-turn and i stepped on the gas and my tire spun a little and idk if that was because i was in power mode or it was because i didnt have traction control
Old 08-30-17, 08:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jason12327
the reason why i had the suspicion of not having traction control was i was driving and my car was in power mode and made a u-turn and i stepped on the gas and my tire spun a little and idk if that was because i was in power mode or it was because i didnt have traction control
Did it just chirp the tires, or did it actually spin that inside rear for a good bit, ie the revs shot up, then went back down when it regained traction? If it did that 2nd thing, you don't have traction control.

Also, I'd seriously go find an empty parking lot and screw around a bit. Put the transmission into 1st, floor it, turn it hard at about 15-20mph with it floored, see what sort of donuts or drifts you can do. Maybe go in the rain. 1 or two powerslides isn't going to kill your tires, but doing this for 5 minutes in the dry will destroy them. Also doing this in the rain won't be nearly as hard on the drivetrain. Play around a bit, practice catching the car mid-skid and steering it straight, it will make you a better driver. Screwing around driving sideways in a wet parking lot gives you much better instincts on the road if the car ever does start to skid, you have that basic reflex worked in on how to get the car straight again. This is especially helpful if you drive in the snow.
Old 08-30-17, 09:04 PM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Did it just chirp the tires, or did it actually spin that inside rear for a good bit, ie the revs shot up, then went back down when it regained traction? If it did that 2nd thing, you don't have traction control.

Also, I'd seriously go find an empty parking lot and screw around a bit. Put the transmission into 1st, floor it, turn it hard at about 15-20mph with it floored, see what sort of donuts or drifts you can do. Maybe go in the rain. 1 or two powerslides isn't going to kill your tires, but doing this for 5 minutes in the dry will destroy them. Also doing this in the rain won't be nearly as hard on the drivetrain. Play around a bit, practice catching the car mid-skid and steering it straight, it will make you a better driver. Screwing around driving sideways in a wet parking lot gives you much better instincts on the road if the car ever does start to skid, you have that basic reflex worked in on how to get the car straight again. This is especially helpful if you drive in the snow.
Okay so i probably dont have trac. Thanks for the advice btw. I know i have 2 fuses for abs so should i get trac or do you think im good with abs
Old 08-30-17, 09:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jason12327
Okay so i probably dont have trac. Thanks for the advice btw. I know i have 2 fuses for abs so should i get trac or do you think im good with abs
I dunno how many fuses you should have. All the electrical **** on my 1992 has worked flawlessly for the past 5 years, I've never even opened the fuse box.
Old 08-30-17, 11:26 PM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

So when I see all the lights i don't see a TRAC light but i do see a ABS light. Do you think i will be good driving in the rain with ABS.
Old 08-31-17, 01:09 AM
OneuseyFE
Driver School Candidate

You'll be better with ABS than without. Especially in the wet. TRC is handy also, more so on the SC400, but everything bar the fuses points to you not having it unfortunately.
Old 08-31-17, 09:49 AM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OneuseyFE
You'll be better with ABS than without. Especially in the wet. TRC is handy also, more so on the SC400, but everything bar the fuses points to you not having it unfortunately.
What do you mean by "everything bar the fuses points to you not having it unfortunately."
Old 08-31-17, 01:05 PM
OneuseyFE
Driver School Candidate

The only thing indicating that TRC is an option is the presence of the the TRAC MTR and TRAC SOL fuses in your engine bay. The lack of TRAC light on dash, no TRC On/Off switch, the wheel spin when making your U turn however indicate that you do not have TRC.
Old 08-31-17, 01:25 PM
Jason12327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OneuseyFE
The only thing indicating that TRC is an option is the presence of the the TRAC MTR and TRAC SOL fuses in your engine bay. The lack of TRAC light on dash, no TRC On/Off switch, the wheel spin when making your U turn however indicate that you do not have TRC.
There is a place for those 2 fuses but the actual fuses are missing. Do you know where i can get the fuses