Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

fixed A/c new fuel filter now starting idle and smoking problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 05:27 PM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed A/c new fuel filter now starting idle and smoking problems

hi this is the first time I have posted anything so please be patient with me I read your stuff all the time and its a great help until now, so heres what happened to my 92 sc3oo automatic, I had to replace the A/C compressor & drier and also had to replace the clutch fan (which was very loud after it was replaced and never had any overheating problems in the 4 years I owned it) the fan clutch was replaced and I had to wait a week for them to get the right compressor, so after I left there shop, with in a day the car started cutting out and losing power, it was'nt bad until I had to take it back to get the
ac installed about a 70 mile trip and when I got there I told them what it had been doing and so they replaced the fuel filter said it was totaly clogged, well that worked for a day maybe and it would still lose power at times, about 2 weeks later I had to take it back in so they could check the system for leaks and told them it started doing it again and even worse now, and I was driving it to Kansas City about 200+ miles I needed it to run but they sujested it was the gas I was buying. As long as I kept on the freeway it seemed to be fine, parked it for 11 days went on vacation when I picked it up, it started up idled fine for a minute then started smelling like gas and very rough, once I got it going no problem until I decided I needed to eat and pulled off the freeway and it died and barely ran, made it to gas station filled it up and put some heat in it, got back to the freeway and drove it straight home and it would hardly start after that and started pouring out blue gas smelling smoke. got on the forum read everything I could checked the maf it was fine changed the plugs and statred it up still rough, not as bad, so I drove it down the road and when it got to a higher speed like 50 it would run great all the way to 90, slowed down to turn into drive it died and things got worse, lots of white smoke wont idle at all, oil smelled of gas, tried running codes on car and it just had a continous blink, tried starting it again and it just clicked, ended up towing it to lexus and then home again they sujested a valve dropped and $800 to check it and $2500 to fix, brother in law did get it to start again and is trying to figure it out for me, I have owned it for 6 yrs has 187,000 and I put 100,000 of that on it, always taken care of it always ran great, I'm at a dead end can you help me with where to start looking. it does leak powersteering fluid,
Old 08-31-13, 06:35 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I know it may sound weird, but that white smoke might be your Vacuum switch valve, I think is what it's called. When your SC leaks PS fluid, it gets into the failed Vacuum valve then goes into the engine. The engine burns the PS fluid, thusly, the white smoke you're seeing when driving. It might be a completely different issue than your running rich problem.
Old 08-31-13, 07:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats the longest run on sentences, I have ever read. I actually reading it three times. I gave up. Lol..
Old 08-31-13, 07:36 PM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

sorry for the long story, it does'nt smoke when it runs only while idling
Old 08-31-13, 07:41 PM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

last year I had to replace the power steering line and found one that does'nt have the extra conections, they were plugged off, but it leaked fluid for awhile before I knew it was leaking like months, I did make the 200+ mile trip home running about 80mph and then some,

Last edited by darscar; 08-31-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 11:44 AM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

pulled the ECU today and found 2 leaky cap. got parts on order, put ecu back in while waiting on order and the car started up and only smoked a little, after I fix the ecu , I know I need to clean plugs, change oil, what else will I need to do??
Old 09-03-13, 10:00 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by darscar
pulled the ECU today and found 2 leaky cap. got parts on order, put ecu back in while waiting on order and the car started up and only smoked a little, after I fix the ecu , I know I need to clean plugs, change oil, what else will I need to do??
Leaky Capacitors will cause the car to behave that way. Instead of cleaning the spark plugs, why not just replace them, and the wires? Changing oil is just maint. You can clean the TB, maybe even the IAT (IACV) if issues persist later. You can also burn up all of the carbon from inside the engine by doing a seafoam clean.
Old 09-03-13, 05:36 PM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info, plugs r brand new, also found oily stuff in the TB after it was cleaned. is this also related to the ECU? I must praise everyone on this forum for the info they post and pictures it has helped me do most thing myself, just can't remember half of what I have read so I guess I will start printing it and make my own shop manual. will let you know how it turns out.
Dar's Car loves to be driven as much as I love driving it,
Old 09-04-13, 07:54 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by darscar
thanks for the info, plugs r brand new, also found oily stuff in the TB after it was cleaned. is this also related to the ECU? I must praise everyone on this forum for the info they post and pictures it has helped me do most thing myself, just can't remember half of what I have read so I guess I will start printing it and make my own shop manual. will let you know how it turns out.
Dar's Car loves to be driven as much as I love driving it,
The original shop manual is over 4k pages long. I have it and not in book format. If that were to ever get printed, probably 1k each book! lol...
Old 09-06-13, 04:22 PM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

Question

the ecu got fixed today and run good but now its got an oil & gas mixture comming out of the pvc hose, getting a new pvc and some sea foam, any ideas on what causes this prob, I'm just glad to hear it run and not smoke
Old 09-07-13, 08:33 AM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

I now have some coolant in the spark plug area , tried to do research ion forum but found nothing someone got a link or sujestion
Old 09-07-13, 09:31 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ark-plugs.html
Old 09-24-13, 07:32 PM
darscar
Driver School Candidate

finally got everything done and the car runs great, after fixing the ECU ran seafoam thru engine, changed plugs& wires, oil, dist cap reset the computer and went on a road trip car is back to normal, can't believe all this was due to some leaking cap on the ECU.

THANK YOU CLUB LEXUS WOULD OF NEVER GOT IT FIXED WITHOUT YOU

only car I ever had a passion for driving, thanks for giving that back to me.