Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trying to find an oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 10:52 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trying to find an oil leak

So when I park overnight there are a couple drips of oil that is between the tranny and block, at first I thought, darn the rear seal is gone. The last owner told me the rear seal and main seal has been changed, I got under and look and the weep hole between the tranny and block (more of a rectangular slot) looked dry and dusty, although the tranny and block bottom has oil. So it seems the rear seal is infact in good condition.

The oil pan bottom is covered in oil. In fact it's blown back to the tranny, even the exhaust pipe.

I'm new the the 2JZ engine and was wondering where are the usual culprits. Is there any half moon seal on the valve cover and such?

This weekend I am going to wipe up all the oil and then observe more, but any suggestion where to look for source of oil leak would be great.
Old 07-31-13, 11:08 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same leak, but I'm hoping it is just valve cover gaskets (mine are leaking). I definitely have a leak at the mating of the tranny and the block... I'm hoping the that is just the lowest part of the engine and that is why it is still leaking there. I have an order placed with Toyota for new VC gaskets. I also have ordered a new PCV valve to ensure the engine breathes properly... I really don't want to drop the tranny right now...
Old 07-31-13, 12:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

most common are valve cover gaskets that is fairly simple to look and see if that is where leak is.
2nd most common is the distributor o-ring will leak on the passenger side and cover the whole left side of the motor back to the trans when its bad enough.

power steering leaks also happen from time to time and will do the same thing to the drivers side, just a different fluid.
Cam seals can leak and drop oil down the front of the motor, it would have to be pretty bad to make it to the trans from there but I would say it is also possible.
front main seal is also possible but not the most common.

look for the highest point on the motor where the oil is and you will have a good idea of whats leaking.
If that doesn't work wash it down (carefully, avoid top of motor and place bags over electronics) and re-check, but changing the VC gaskets and distributor O-ring should be done anyways for peace of mind if it hasn't been done already. If either one is leaking badly it is also letting air in/out of the crank case that is unmetered and if you are stock that will throw the ecu off some.
Old 08-02-13, 09:59 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi I tried to clean the under body of the car but for now I stopped looking at the oil pan and lower part of the engine.

The reason is, I looked around the valve cover it seems it is seeping a bit (dirty oily mess), can the perimeter of the 2 valve covers all seep oil and blow back and result in a oil leak of a couple drops a day?