Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Unknown problem w/ newly acquired SC 300, seems to be clutch/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 08:33 PM
incumbentJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown problem w/ newly acquired SC 300, seems to be clutch/tranny

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. The good part is that on Sunday I bought the first car I've ever really liked, a '92 SC 300 manual. The bad part is that I'm here because today I encountered quite the problem:

Driving in 4th gear at about 40mph today I shifted into neutral to make a complete stop. When I started again I had severely reduced acceleration, although RPMs jumped up. Luckily I was near a friend's house, but by the time I got there I could go maybe 5mph with the gas nearly floored. There was also a rubbery smell emanating from the car after this happened.

A friend has told me this is most likely a burned out clutch. I don't necessarily disagree; I'm a bit new to manual, although my starts have been smooth and I treat the car with care. The previous owner only drove it in the summer, it has 85k miles on it. I do not know when/if the clutch has ever been replaced.

Also, he always used premium. This happened about 2 miles after I had filled up with midgrade (since 1992 premium octane is our current midgrade gas). Someone mentioned something about the car entering "limp" mode, as a possibility? No idea, just trying to paint a more full picture.

Any advice/input/ideas would be much appreciated as I was pretty devastated by this. Taking it to the mechanic tomorrow (via tow truck). Hopefully this won't be horrifically expensive.