Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird metal chirping sound on acceleration, do any of you guys know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 02:26 PM
poetik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Can you help diagnose this weird metal chirping sound on acceleration? (video inside)

Hey guys,

After I bought my car, I noticed it had this really weird metal chirping sound whenever I would accelerate. It happens a lot especially when going up hills. Recently it's starting to do it when I stop and go and I was just wondering if any of you had a clue on what it was?

Through my research on here, I've read a lot of different opinion but the main suggestion seems to be that my harmonic balancer is going out as stated per this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...his-sound.html

Here is a youtube video that has the sound on it. You can hear it when I start up and I know it's not the best quality but it's the best I could do by myself.

http://youtu.be/Gp3Vn5SwLXk

Here is also another video with me going up a hill. You can really hear the chirping noise in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXW_...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for the help guys. This sound is annoying as hell and it's pretty damn embarrassing so I wanna get it fixed.

-Cedric

Last edited by poetik; 05-15-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-27-12, 03:34 PM
fliaznguy
Rookie

I actually checked in on this thread thinking that you and I have the same issue but I'm finding that my sound is a bit different...Same symptoms though. I need to get under my car to find out but I am betting on something in the exhaust. For your "chirp" per se, I don't think that's it.
Old 04-27-12, 06:32 PM
poetik
Rookie

Hmm, it sort of makes that noise when I hit bumps too..

I'll try to get a better video up so you guys can hear it more.
Old 05-15-12, 10:27 AM
poetik
Rookie

Ok, I just put another clip up in the original post. Does anyone have any idea what it is?
Old 05-16-12, 08:44 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, the first thing I always recommend with a noise like this is to remove the accessory belt and see if it still does it. You will eliminate/implicate any of the crap bolted to the front of the engine this way. Don't go too far since your water pump is driven off the belt. Just pull the belt, drive it around in a parking lot, or whatever you need to do to figure out if the noise is gone, or still there.

If it still does it, it could be timing tensioner, tranny pump, flexplate, driveshaft, wheel bearings, brakes, etc etc etc.
Old 05-17-12, 01:01 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the video's it doesnt sound like what I thought it was. But I'll throw my opinion out there anyways..

In the past I've had a rattling metal can sound, under acceleration just like you. Turned out to be loose/broken heat-shield(s) on the exhaust. Theyre not needed so you can just find the problem one and rip it off (or weld it back again so it doesnt rattle).

But again, after watching your video's its not exactly the 'rattling metal can' sound I had.
Old 05-17-12, 06:22 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had that problem, It's because I had a bad tensioner pulley.
Old 11-02-12, 06:39 AM
fwatkins71
Driver School Candidate

I have the same chirping noise which started after having to replace the serpitine belt, which led to putting on a new tension pulley which led to replacing the alternator which led to replacing the harmonic balancer. Got all that done and the noise stopped for about 6 hours and it was back. Does anybody have any idea what it could be now????
Old 03-05-13, 12:14 AM
poetik
Rookie

Ok so I replaced both the tensioner pulley and the serpentine belt and it's still there. We checked for play in the harmonic balancer and it was fine.

The only thing I could think of is maybe one of the the other pulley's?
Old 03-05-13, 12:26 AM
poetik
Rookie

Hmm actually, here is another case of interesting information. I was going to eat sushi and on the way there I drove on the freeway and on residential roads for a few minutes. I pull into the sushi parking lot and let my girl out. while she gets out and the door is open, I put my foot on the brake and put the car in reverse. The door was still open during all of this and it started to make that high pitched sound out of no where!

It's hard to narrow it down but I think it may have to do with something tranny related since it made the sound when there was no load at all on the engine. Does anyone have any clue what it would be from there?