Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Radio Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 03:58 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Fuse Keeps Blowing

After my radio (& CD/tape deck) stopped working I narrowed it down to what I thought was just a blown fuse. Turns out there's something else at play here, because the moment I try sliding a new fuse in to replace the blown one, sparks fly and the new fuse gets blown before I can even get it seated good.

I've got no clue as to where to look next to locate the crossed connection.

Maybe someone else has had this happen to them and can point me in the right direction.
Old 09-21-11, 04:07 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your cigarette lighter.

If a coin falls down into it, I think it kills that fuse, and the radio. Or was it climate control?

Also is yours stock?
Old 09-21-11, 04:17 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

That cigarette coil could be it. I've got my cell phone charger plugged in there. I'll try it in a few hours.

everything is stock.
Old 09-28-11, 09:52 PM
ikoihil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam thing happened here, but I was using an iPod dock. After I kept blowing fuses, I took the dock out. The massive amounts of fuses I was blowing was simply a fun treat before the alternator died. Good luck with yours, though.
Old 12-30-13, 12:37 AM
Blacklex1
Driver School Candidate

Same thing has happened to me also, my radio was playing fine, then all of a sudden, it just stopped. I smelled something like burnt electronics, tracked it down to the fuse box. Both radio 2 and 3 fuses which are in the engine compartment in front of the battery were blown, radio one fuse which is inside the car on the driver side was fine. Everythig functions as normal, just no sound, or response from the Volume control. Tried to change it, soon as it made contact, the fuse blew. Has anyone came up with any suggestion or conclusions on what it could be.
Old 05-09-15, 04:33 PM
mechapren
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy 30A Fuse Blows Repeatedly

I've got the same problem. We started having volume drop-outs, progressively worse and more frequent over a few days. Then poof. Lost the whole center console, nav screen, did not think to check the cigarette lighter. New 30A fuse fries as soon as I power on the radio. If I leave the radio powered off, everything is fine. I assume it's either the radio or amp... so I've got to start pulling and tracing before my wife demands a new car.
Old 01-07-18, 11:44 PM
Raymont
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
After my radio (& CD/tape deck) stopped working I narrowed it down to what I thought was just a blown fuse. Turns out there's something else at play here, because the moment I try sliding a new fuse in to replace the blown one, sparks fly and the new fuse gets blown before I can even get it seated good.

I've got no clue as to where to look next to locate the crossed connection.

Maybe someone else has had this happen to them and can point me in the right direction.
Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
That cigarette coil could be it. I've got my cell phone charger plugged in there. I'll try it in a few hours.

everything is stock.
Did it start to work for u
Old 01-08-18, 04:10 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Check the trunk areas for water, corroded connections and poor ground. Water collects in the rear lower sections of the trunk causing all kinds of shorts and corroded connections. Check that as part of your troubleshooting.
Old 08-29-18, 08:23 PM
Skumpy1856
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blacklex1
Same thing has happened to me also, my radio was playing fine, then all of a sudden, it just stopped. I smelled something like burnt electronics, tracked it down to the fuse box. Both radio 2 and 3 fuses which are in the engine compartment in front of the battery were blown, radio one fuse which is inside the car on the driver side was fine. Everythig functions as normal, just no sound, or response from the Volume control. Tried to change it, soon as it made contact, the fuse blew. Has anyone came up with any suggestion or conclusions on what it could be.
did you ever figure this problem out??
The following users liked this post:
kelleher2 (12-01-18)
Old 12-01-18, 04:46 PM
kelleher2
Rookie

2002 LS430 33,000 miles. This my 7th. When i got the car last week the driver's door would not lock. Seen this problem many times before. Also, the driver's window won't go up. I bought the $5 motor and window motor installed both. Drivers door or window does not work. Checked fuses for drivers door it was blown. I replaced it and it sparked as I put the fuse in. Any ideas
Old 09-22-20, 10:33 AM
jdotnyc
Driver School Candidate

did you find out what the problem was because my gs is doing the same exact thing.
Old 09-22-20, 10:56 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Talking I've written this issue off

Originally Posted by jdotnyc
did you find out what the problem was because my gs is doing the same exact thing.
Nope... I've since put my SC400 up in moth ***** and gotten myself a final year ('06) LS430.

Until I can sock away a good chunk of cash (say$20k +/-) to completely rebuild the entire engine, trans, electrical system, suspension, fuel system, interior (replace all the leather seats), door & moonroof seals, and get it a proper and professional paint job (after the body rust is taken care of), It'll remain in storage. I'm sure that pesky fuse issue will be alleviated in the process